Wiki Posts
Search

Check In policy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Delta Platinum
Check In policy?

So I was attending a conference from Texas and had my friend made a reservation at one of Sheraton property in Mass area due to the sold out situation we had stayed at Marriott in for 1 night in the middle of our trip. When I rechecked in back on Sept 28th my friend booked a double bed for us to stay, as we checked in with front desk supervisor to see if he can changed the reservation to my name as I'm SPG Platinum, so we.m can have all the benefit as I would normally get was elite member, he refused my request and said "I can't just ask people to change the reservation for benefit" as I told him I'm staying in a double bed room and consider myself as one of the occupants in the room we have right to make change on reservations doesn't matter who is paying"

His attitude was very rude and unprofessional especially when I asked for his name so we can file a complaint with SPG. He also asked for my name and threaten to call SPG blocked my name from the program. As loyal Platimum member this's something I have never experienced.

My friend and I was eventually given to a regular room next to the elevators as he said "junior suite is available, but it would be $80 to upgrade and of course there's no club lounge for you because it's not your reservation even you stay" am I missing something here?

My friend and I quickly called SPG to follow up the incident, and was told by SPG there's no way they can changed name on reservation after the fact we already checked in, but the fact is not that we did not try to make change before we checked in, it's the front desk supervisor refused to let us make a change, he simply made assumption of his own and being very unprofessional to SPG loyal customer.

I asked SPG about the rule and proper guideline, they told me I did nothing wrong and the property manager has no right to block my status what's so ever, but it's still up to them to make the change on reservation which they refused.

I then went back to speak with front desk agent, he said he had to consult his manager to change existing checked in reservation, while he was talking to us there's a guy behind us complaining about the long line and he simply blaming u s for costing the long line....

I have faith in SPG and believe their service and quality is worth the money spend, but when my friend and I spit the cost of $350/night hotel at Sheraton Boston, I'm expecting the same level of service and respect of elite status all around the world. I believe what we just experienced was not something would represent SPG, such things like this should never happen at a hotel like this, I can careless about the upgrade and lounge access, but at the end of day what drives me crazy was their attitude, I don't how he made that assumption for absolutely sure I was not paying for the hotel, as loyal platinum elite, this's the most disappointing experience I have ever had with SPG. I had my friend file a formal complain with SPG since the reservation still under her name, anyone had similar issue before?

Last edited by yxc94550; Sep 29, 2017 at 7:23 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Trying to follow this.

You had your friend (presumably non-status) make a reservation at the SPG property, but you wanted the reservation changed at check-in so you could use your elite benefits as you're SPG elite. Why didn't you make the reservation under your name to start with, or was it because your non-status friend was paying for the room?

Technically the property was correct in that elite benefits are extended when the reservation is in the elite's name, but not if the reservation is in a non-elite name. That's pretty much the norm for all hotel chains. Some properties might extend elite benefits as a courtesy, but they're not required to do so. From what I've read, SPG is actually more strict on the elite bennies only being given if the room is in the elite's name, which in your case it wasn't.

Some SPG elites, even if room is in non-elite name, will provide their elite card at check-in & politely ask for elite recognition benefits be extended as a courtesy. If the hotel provides it, great. If not, they're within the rules. Arguing about it, though, and saying it doesn't matter who's paying, you're sleeping in one of the beds usually gets a property to follow the T&Cs more than they might have otherwise.

Obviously the lounge access, etc, was important to you since you tried having the reservations switched to your name so you could utilize the benefits based on your elite status (since your friend presumably did not have status) so your comment that it wasn't important isn't totally accurate.

From what you've posted, it sounds like you didn't like the answer you received & it escalated quickly on both sides, which is unfortunate.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 29, 2017 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I also question why the original reservation was made in friend's name if OP is the Plat member and paying for half the room rate. It's not clear to me if the Marriott is sold out or the Sheraton is sold out. A lot was written, but details not clear.

Once the reservation is made in friend's name, it is possible to change name and SPG number before/during check in, I have done this several times in the past. I would make reservation for colleagues in my name and then assign the rooms to them when we check in and they give their cc and SPG number.

If OP provided both credit card and SPG number at check in with friend, then hotel is the wrong denying the change. If friend's credit card is used, then hotel is right in denying.

Most important fact is who's paying, then that person's status and benefits are in play.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yxc94550
. . . as I told him I'm staying in a double bed room and consider myself as one of the occupants in the room we have right to make change on reservations doesn't matter who is paying"

. . .
That is incorrect because -

Originally Posted by CIT85
. . .

Most important fact is who's paying, then that person's status and benefits are in play.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
When you ask for someone's name to file a complaint against them, what did you expect?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like a DYKWIA from a IDKTR (I don't know the rules)

If you want Platinum benefits you book the room in the name of the guest with Platinum status and the Platinum member pays. Whenever I book a room in my partner's name - for a promotion or some other reason - I accept the fact that I won't receive my usual Platinum benefits, even at hotels where the staff know me well. (and I pay in cash, or have her pay)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.