Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by troytos
The room that I was in is JUNIOR SUITE with the connecting door and the room that I have to move to is JUNIOR SUITE with the connecting door. same exactly type of room on a floor lower. I'm well aware of the fact that when I extended my stay. I may have to move to another room since the upgrade was not guaranteed (even tho I checked the possibility of the upgrade before I extended) and When she checked me back in the same room. I made sure that I don't have to move to the new room and she said its ok. I will keep you in the same room. I just don't like the fact that she called into my room and told me that we have to move you to the other room since that room that you are currently in was booked by somebody without telling beforehand or give me no options except pack my bag and MOVE. About PLATINUM recognition I don't think so.

Me. at the time of checking in. Hi I would like to check in Please and hand him ID and CC
staff. ok please sign in the box. hand me the keys and the elevator is of the right. club lounge is on 6 floor. that's it.
Me. I have to ask. whats time the club lounge open? Can I have breakfast in the restaurant? etc....

BTW I find that the shuttle driver was much more friendly and nicer than the front desk people.

unlike any other properties. Thank you for being PLATINUM or Welcome to our property.

Ps. Maybe because I'm a young ASIAN man,
Yes I'm sure thats the reason
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
There has to be a lot more to this story. I wish we could get the hotels version of what really happened. No way a hotel does this.
Agree 100% -- with each post, the OP is adding bits and pieces that undermine his original position. He extended his stay. He was staying in an upgraded room. As I've repeatedly stated, I've actually had many stays at this property the most recent of which was a week ago. I have dealt with the frontdesk associates on many occasions and they have all, to a person, been terrific to deal with.

I'm up to 123 Starwood nights this year (980 lifetime nights) and of those 123 nights in 2017, I would estimate that about 20-25 were spent at the Sheraton Omaha. The associates have been friendly, kind, gracious and exemplary. (Being a non-white male myself, I also find the insinuation by the OP that there was a degree of racism involved to be objectionable.)
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

The room that I was in is JUNIOR SUITE with the connecting door and the room that I have to move to is JUNIOR SUITE with the connecting door. same exactly type of room on a floor lower. I'm well aware of the fact that when I extended my stay. I may have to move to another room since the upgrade was not guaranteed (even tho I checked the possibility of the upgrade before I extended) and When she checked me back in the same room. I made sure that I don't have to move to the new room and she said its ok. I will keep you in the same room. I just don't like the fact that she called into my room and told me that we have to move you to the other room since that room that you are currently in was booked by somebody without telling beforehand or give me no options except pack my bag and MOVE. About PLATINUM recognition I don't think so.

Me. at the time of checking in. Hi I would like to check in Please and hand him ID and CC
staff. ok please sign in the box. hand me the keys and the elevator is of the right. club lounge is on 6 floor. that's it.
Me. I have to ask. whats time the club lounge open? Can I have breakfast in the restaurant? etc....

BTW I find that the shuttle driver was much more friendly and nicer than the front desk people.

unlike any other properties. Thank you for being PLATINUM or Welcome to our property.

Ps. Maybe because I'm a young ASIAN man,
Sorry, dude, you lost any sympathy from me with that remark and with leaving out important details originally.

It's fairly annoying that you left out the fact you were extending your stay from your original story. That seems fairly pertinent. It seems that the most likely explanation is that the FD clerk, in a hurry to re-check you in, didn't look far enough in the future to make sure there weren't conflicts. OK, a simple human mistake. You should be reasonable enough to figure out that it was a simple human mistake due in part to your extending your stay and agree to switch rooms. No real harm, no foul. It's important in life to try to be reasonable, and I think you're now not being reasonable.

Don't pull the racism card.

Safe travels,

Doc

/thread
KENNECTED and Canada101 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Canada101
Agree 100% -- with each post, the OP is adding bits and pieces that undermine his original position. He extended his stay. He was staying in an upgraded room. As I've repeatedly stated, I've actually had many stays at this property the most recent of which was a week ago. I have dealt with the frontdesk associates on many occasions and they have all, to a person, been terrific to deal with.

I'm up to 123 Starwood nights this year (980 lifetime nights) and of those 123 nights in 2017, I would estimate that about 20-25 were spent at the Sheraton Omaha. The associates have been friendly, kind, gracious and exemplary. (Being a non-white male myself, I also find the insinuation by the OP that there was a degree of racism involved to be objectionable.)
Basically, I see the extension as a stay unto itself and the previous reservation is not an issue. He asked to stay longer and the FDC should have done their due diligence in making sure the room was available for the duration. If that room was booked with the connecting room, they may have decided moving one is better than having to juggle the incoming two. Being upfront about the need could have relieved a lot of frustration and kept this thread from even starting.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
deleted.

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:30 pm

That's what I'm trying to say. Instead of saying its ok. I can keep you in the same room and let me stay then the next morning told me that I have to move.
Yes, but they did you a favor by letting you stay in an upgraded room. You cannot do one for them?
Canada101 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wolf72
Some year's back, a very senior member of our organization, the VP of Marketing was staying in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur and had checked in as a corporate guest of a 4 star hotel (not SPG) on a 4 night stay in the city for meetings.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
This story is fishy. Why would the Sultan stay at only a 4 star hotel?
Not at all fishy of you read carefully.

Guest of a 4 star hotel. The KL hotel was not named.

Last edited by CIT85; Aug 12, 2017 at 7:05 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Not at all fishy of you read carefully.

Quest of a 4 star hotel. The KL hotel was not named.
Why would the Sultan stay in a 4 star hotel when there are 5 star hotels? Budget cuts never affect people at the top. Does he like saving money? Maybe he wants to experience life like a commoner, like when the mayor of NYC takes the subway after clearing all the homeless people out?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Why would the Sultan stay in a 4 star hotel when there are 5 star hotels? Budget cuts never affect people at the top. Does he like saving money? Maybe he wants to experience life like a commoner, like when the mayor of NYC takes the subway after clearing all the homeless people out?
You never asked what year this incident happened. You assume KL has always had 5 star hotels or that the Sultan had already bought one of the twin tower buildings and invited Hyatt to open up their hotel there.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:58 pm

You never asked what year this incident happened. You assume KL has always had 5 star hotels or that the Sultan had already bought one of the twin tower buildings and invited Hyatt to open up their hotel there.
So Shangrila was built in 1985. Brunei was founded in 1984. When you say KL always had 5 star hotels how far back are we talking about?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
So Shangrila was built in 1985. Brunei was founded in 1984. When you say KL always had 5 star hotels how far back are we talking about?
Brunei was founded in 1984? ...!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Brunei was founded in 1984.
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get more ridiculous...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
That's what I'm trying to say. Instead of saying its ok. I can keep you in the same room and let me stay then the next morning told me that I have to move.
But why is this so difficult to understand? You booked a room for a specific timeframe. The hotel upgraded you to a junior suite (excellent Plat recognition). You extended your stay and asked to remain in your upgraded room. The associate at the front desk wanted to make it as easy as possible for you and looked in the day's rooming chart and saw that your room was not assigned to anyone so agreed. That is where the associate made a mistake.

No, it was not racism. It was a mistake which any associate could have made. Later in your stay, the property realized that the upgraded room you were occupying was booked by someone else (for what reason, we don't know nor should it matter). So the hotel ask/told you to move to another equivalent upgraded room albeit on a lower floor.

Should the hotel have asked you nicely? Yes.

Should the hotel have apologized for any inconvenience caused? Yes.

Should the hotel compensate you for said inconvenience? Only as a goodwill gesture but if you were making a pain of yourself and refusing to move, no.

It seems to me the property recognized your status by upgrading you to a room category you didn't pay for.

You extended your stay and requested to remain in the upgraded room category and the property agreed.

The associate erred by not moving you when you asked for the stay extension BUT perhaps no other junior suites were available on that day and the associate was merely trying to make things easier on YOU as much as on the property.

On the day this other guest was checking in and specifically requested and was promised the room you were occupying during your extension, the hotel asked/told you to move. If it were me, I'd have said sure, happy to do so. And, you know what? The associates would have probably sent up an amenity for the trouble or maybe thrown in some points. But judging by your original and subsequent posts, I'm not sure why the property would bother with anything, especially when you're happy to pull out the race card so readily.

Anyway, I think this thread has gone on longer than it should have. I personally believe both you and the property made some errors here but I don't believe that the property's error was so egregious that it warrants anything further than an expression of regret.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:42 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Brunei was founded in 1984? ...!
He/She meant that Brunei became independent in 1984. Although the Sultanate was in existence well before that under British colonial rule.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.