Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Man beating woman in Chinese hotel , compensation for disturbance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man beating woman in Chinese hotel , compensation for disturbance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:25 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
China is a very different cultural and as I spend more and more time here come to appreciate where some of the very different values come from.

I also applaud the good samaritan nature of you and your daughter.

Hopefully as they advance they'll embrace and keep some of the best of the East and adopt some of the good of the West. I'd never wish they become like America or Europe, LOL.

As to compensation, never hurts to ask, nice you got offered something too.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by chipmaster
As to compensation, never hurts to ask, nice you got offered something too.
A request for compensation in this case is ridiculous and makes the OP look opportunistic / eager to exploit a situation the hotel did not create or control. Shameful.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:18 pm

I don't know if I would be able to live with myself if I asked for compensation for being 'disturbed' by seeing a person get beat up.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am impressed by the creativity of some FTers.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
May I suggest in this scenario the only person who may be able to request compensation is the women if the hotel security did not respond in a timely and reasonable manner or the man had gained access to the floor due to ineffective security procedures and that doesnt seem to be the case in this situation.

I do not feel you have no recourse for compensation and if I was in your situation and rather than request compensation the hotel had offered it the only 2 options in my mind would be refuse it or donate the amount to a suitable charity.
window.post_1501555402492_2 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Daughter and I were in a Chinese Sheraton hotel and woken up by man yelling and woman screaming outside of our room around 2 am
My daughter is very brave and went out to get help. She started yelling for help, a woman employee was just standing and looking
Man was choking a woman and slamming her head on the floor
This happened in elevator lobby which was open to lobby and other floors
No help came for 10-15 minutes

Needless to say it was extremely upsetting
Next morning we were checking out and I requested that we shouldn't be billed for that night (3 night stay)
Spoke to manager and she would only offer a free trip to airport, around $50
Do you think I am justified asking for money back for that night?
Sorry, but what has this got to do with you? I suggest you seek mental help. The hotel owes you nothing.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Shameful.
This. A big to the OP.

I suppose you could find the man that beat up this poor woman and ask him for compensation, as he's the one who disturbed your sleep, not the hotel.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: RFC
Thanks
Just wanted to get opinions
Never have asked for compensation before
Well, given the mindset, I hope you filmed it so you could sell the footage to a news outlet. It's important to maximize your revenue opportunities.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
No
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: MPC Green
I was fumbling around with the master control while my daughter risked her life confronting a local.

Compensation? No.

Glad your back home? Yep.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Dumbest thing i've read in a long time. How in the world is this even remotely the hotel's fault?

If this happened in a retail store, should the store give you a discount on their products?
If this happened on a bus, should the bus ride be free?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Fleck
Silly. God this whole crybaby compensation culture is so pathetic.
+1000

It's awful. And this "compensation culture" is really becoming entrenched across the entire travel industry.

How did we get to the point where so many of us travelers - when they experience anything less than perfection - go on to demand free gifts or special treatment or discounts or refunds in return. All regardless of whether the hotel/airline/whatever was actually at fault, and regardless of how seriously the traveler was truly impacted.

My absolute favorite: when flying YYC to LAS a few years ago, the airport was down to a single runway in the evening. There was a long line of planes waiting to take off, and we had to wait. We were late. The dingbat seated right behind me started ringing the call button. When the FA arrived, she expressed her anger at being inconvenienced and literally told him "I demand compensation". (Exact quote. I recall it well.) The poor FA eventually gave up trying to ration with her (ie it was all due to runway construction) and eventually gave in -- so she got free drinks and food. (Nobody else did. The delay didn't upset me as it was unavoidable. But both having to listen to this idiot and then hearing her get freebies both upset me. Hmmm. I should have demanded compensation too!)

Bump me from a flight, or walk me from a hotel reservation. Yep, that's a big problem. No running water in my hotel bathroom? Yep, compensate!

But noise from an altercation in a hallway???

Stuff happens, people. Suck it up and roll with it.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, please be mindful and not let this become an "FT gang gratuitously beating OP" thread.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:50 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Daughter and I were in a Chinese Sheraton hotel and woken up by man yelling and woman screaming outside of our room around 2 am
My daughter is very brave and went out to get help. She started yelling for help, a woman employee was just standing and looking
Man was choking a woman and slamming her head on the floor
This happened in elevator lobby which was open to lobby and other floors
No help came for 10-15 minutes

I'll entertain how the scenario could change that can result in members here supporting your claim for some compensation.

Allow me to continue a fantasy version of the story.

Upon your very brave daughter went out and yelling for help, the abusive man came charging at you and your daughter. While the women employee watched, you in order to protect your daughter, got a little roughed up (some bruises but nothing serious) by the man for 10-15 minutes before police arrived and promptly arrested the man.

Since the injury was relatively mild and doesn't require a hospital visit, you decided to stay at your room for remainder of the night.

The next day, you ask the hotel manager for a free night because the hotel staff watched as you got attacked and the hotel has failed to keep you safe for 10-15 minutes.

Now I think you have a sympathetic case to our members here.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow. Now I've heard it all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.