Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why W hotel does not have executive lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:21 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bhrubin
For those of us who frequent the W or Edition brands, it makes sense that there is no lounge. We usually don't want them or miss them.
I would assume like you, we would rather pay for a drink in a W Living Room than being stuck/secluded/hidden away in a club lounge drinking sub-par wines. W guests are cool (or want/believe they are) so a lounge just doesn't feel right at a W.

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
I agree with you about the average rate of W is more expensive than JW and usually W is also slightly more expensive to JW . But I think to say in almost EVERY market Ws price out JW is incorrect. For example , in NYC , JW essex is a lot more expensive than Ws in that city( I know there are many Ws in NYC but one JW, but this is the fact), also in LA , Chicago that JW is slightly more expensive than W.

In Asia, Hong Kong they pretty much the same, in Bangkok usually, the older JW would be slightly more expensive than W. Also in Seoul where there used to have a W. Those cities are my example.
Stayed at a JW Marriott once, and never again, or maybe in another 30 years time when I am a bit more frail and wrinkly I am sure my retired parents would like that JW W is in a totally different market to JW's so don't know how this is related to your original question? If W's all of a sudden have club lounges ... I might have to consider staying at a design hotel or something cooler
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Because Marriott does not have a brand that directly compete with the W, like Hyatt's Andaz, or certain Kimpton and Mondrian properties.

What property were you looking at? I've seen this at certain parties in party locations, that have a W property or during big events in certain cities.
Well ... I agree that Marriott doesn't have a brand where a bunch of people kick in $25 each for a room, sneak in a suitcase of alcohol, and throw a party in a room.

This was the W Scottsdale policy.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well ... I agree that Marriott doesn't have a brand where a bunch of people kick in $25 each for a room, sneak in a suitcase of alcohol, and throw a party in a room.

This happens in hotels ranging from Residence Inns to Ritz Carlton/St Regis, I wouldn't say its a W issue. Years ago I was almost thrown out of a DoubleTree for doing this (college).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

This behavior and guest are not limited to just the W Brand or Fan/Guest. I've been to R-C hotels in Miami, Nola, LA that have a party hard attitude, despite the branding on the building.

Now can we no longer make vain attempts to stereotype W Fans/Guest as some sort of trend beast, that looks down on others.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:47 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I find the people who complain the most about W hotels are those least likely to stay in them. I don't need to worry about such people, as I believe it's obvious they will do plenty of worrying for all of us. As with all hotel brands, there are better and worse W hotels.

We know why Ws usually don't have executive lounges--that was answered quite some time ago as it's not a brand standard based on the market niche that Ws are intended to serve. The intended W customer isn't interested in an executive lounge in most locations. The intended Edition customer also isn't interested in an executive lounge. The intended St Regis customer also isn't interested in an executive lounge.

Asian hotels are more likely to have lounges than anywhere else in any market segment. So more W hotels in Asia may have a lounge, but a lounge still isn't a W brand standard.

If one doesn't like that, then one should stay at Ritz Carlton Club level or at any JW Marriott, both of which have clubs/lounges as a brand standard. Or the innumerable Marriott to Sheraton properties that have lounges. Or the subset of Westin and Le Méridien hotels that have lounges. I think you're covered.

If you want to attack W customers, feel free to waste your time. It's pedantic and unnecessary. I'd simply recommend that you stay somewhere else. We'd be thrilled.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 28, 2017 at 6:52 pm
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Yes, yes, yes

We know why Ws usually don't have executive lounges--that was answered quite some time ago as it's not a brand standard based on the market niche that Ws are intended to serve.

If you want to attack W customers, feel free to waste your time. It's pedantic and unnecessary. I'd simply recommend that you stay somewhere else. We'd be thrilled.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
If one doesn't like that, then one should stay at Ritz Carlton Club level or at any JW Marriott, both of which have clubs/lounges as a brand standard. Or the innumerable Marriott to Sheraton properties that have lounges. Or the subset of Westin and Le Méridien hotels that have lounges. I think you're covered.

I'm definitely not attacking W customers. I haven't suggested, for example, that guests in one brand are more affluent or sophisticated than guests in another brand. I like W's and right now am deciding whether to stay in a W or an FHR property tomorrow.

By the end of 2017, I'll have around 200 nights in hotels for the year, probably 90 percent of them will be in Marriott/Starwood properties ranging from Fairfield Inn's to StR and RC. The rest will be Hyatt/ICG/ or gasp .... Choice as I sometimes go places were there's not even a Fairfield Inn. I'll probably spend 20 nights or so in W's because they tend to be in interesting neighborhoods and I like the vibe of the hotel. But, if we're honest, the W is the only brand I stay in where regardless of location, there will be a bunch of people renting a room and bringing in alcohol to party. I've stayed at W's in London, Miami, Atlanta, Scottsdale, NYC, and LA and its at all of those locations every stay. I highly doubt that any poster in this thread fits in that description but it is a group that is attracted to the W.

As for the lounge, sure it's not a brand standard. Who knows whether that will change at certain locations as the brand tries to expand and needs an expanded customer base. On that line, most other full service Marriott/Starwood hotels have meeting space. I don't recall seeing meeting rooms in many W's and that's not intended to be a core revenue in the brand like it is in a Marriott/Ren/Westin/Sheraton.

I'll also add that I think Frits, the former CEO of Starwood, is a visionary in the industry with great ideas on lifestyle concepts, sustainability, international growth and emerging markets, and high end hotels/resorts. He's also a really nice guy as well. However, notwithstanding his vision, the investors felt that the long term opportunity was in the Courtyardish/Fairfield Innish segment and Frits couldn't make it happen. The investors felt that way because they didn't think a company the size of Starwood could compete unless it grew in that direction. Frits left and an interim CEO came in who tried to move in that direction. That didn't work either and ... the rest is history.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Jul 28, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

I've never been a fan of lounges/clubs. I want room service or want to eat in a proper restaurant when I stay at a nice hotel. I'd rather the hotel use resources to make sure food/beverage in the restaurant and room service are top drawer. This is one reason why I despise the whole concept of Ritz Carlton Club level--I believe it siphons resources and service away from the rest of the hotel--and for people looking to penny pinch at a luxury level hotel!
So those that want more for less is a new concept for you? I want to stay at the best hotels for the lowest prices and most benefits. Taking resources away from providing guest benefits (lounges), which is basically some staff to provide the lounge food, drink, service is part of staffing a hotel. Do we need valets? Maintenance? Room service? The standards for hotel ratings are how luxurious a hotel is, which includes many things principally how many services/amenities they provide. I love lounges and always keep an eye towards them.

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I think you're using a wide brush to describe W Hotel patrons/fans.
I would agree, too wide for a brush, more like a paint roller.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by schley
So those that want more for less is a new concept for you? I want to stay at the best hotels for the lowest prices and most benefits. Taking resources away from providing guest benefits (lounges), which is basically some staff to provide the lounge food, drink, service is part of staffing a hotel. Do we need valets? Maintenance? Room service? The standards for hotel ratings are how luxurious a hotel is, which includes many things principally how many services/amenities they provide. I love lounges and always keep an eye towards them.
I am perfectly respectful that you love a lounge. I respect that you therefore will look for hotels that have lounges. Unfortunately, most Ws do not have lounges because the market niche of customers they seek do not need nor want lounges as you do. So it makes sense that you would avoid Ws unless they have a lounge.

Fortunately, people like me who don't like lounges are very happy with the brand standard of Ws as they are.

Fortunately, you have plenty of options of hotel brands within the Marriott portfolio with lounges from which to choose. Attacking a brand that doesn't have what you need seems incongruous with the point of hotel branding. I'm not attacking RC or its customers for RC mostly having clubs; I just don't stay at most RC. Yet this thread is replete with examples of attacks on W and the W customer base. Not cool nor appropriate.

Luxury hotels mostly do not have lounges. Peninsula, Four Seasons, St Regis, Aman, most Luxury Collection, Rosewood, Banyan Tree, etc--almost none of those have lounges. So qualifying a lounge as somehow being a requirement for luxury is false.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 30, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by schley
Taking resources away from providing guest benefits (lounges), which is basically some staff to provide the lounge food, drink, service is part of staffing a hotel.
By the same argument, would anyone rather a luxury hotel didn't cater for weddings, functions and conferences either, since this would surely divert so many more resources away from the restaurant and room service than providing a few nibbles in a lounge ever could ?

Attacking a brand that doesn't have what you need seems incongruous with the point of hotel branding. I'm not attacking RC or it's customers for RC mostly having clubs
I've never been a fan of lounges/clubs. I want room service or want to eat in a proper restaurant when I stay at a nice hotel. I'd rather the hotel use resources to make sure food/beverage in the restaurant and room service are top drawer. This is one reason why I despise the whole concept of Ritz Carlton Club level--I believe it siphons resources and service away from the rest of the hotel--and for people looking to penny pinch at a luxury level hotel!
We seem to be going round in circles. Maybe it's time to move on and get back to discussing W hotels ?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
We seem to be going round in circles. Maybe it's time to move on and get back to discussing W hotels ?
That does seem to be the case between you and me. But it doesn't seem to be the case for others, as with below.

My take is that this thread was started to either ask a simple question--which has been summarily answered many times now--or to bait people into slamming W or its customers. I'd think if the latter were true that mods would close it. Yet the mods have not.

This thread seems as cogent as one asking why Holiday Inn isn't more luxurious?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
W Hotels do not have lounges because they would eat into the hotel's revenue model.

The demographic would expect a lot more than a mid-range lounge (and rightfully so). The demographic would probably be "all over" a swanky lounge experience, but it would be a likely $100/pp expense per day, and W patrons already get a swanky lounge experience, but on a pay-per-item basis.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The [W hotel] demographic would probably be "all over" a swanky lounge experience, but it would be a likely $100/pp expense per day, and W patrons already get a swanky lounge experience, but on a pay-per-item basis.
Exactly! ^^^

The customer that W intends and typically attracts (and pleases) isn't the customer traditionally looking for a lounge to feed the family and/or to allow a business stay on the cheap. It's a social and more affluent customer who is more prone to enjoy nightlife and the W Living Room as the swanky lounge--and is willing to pay for it, just as with most other luxury hotel brand customers.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 30, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
As is the history of this OP in this and other threads and forums.

My take is that this thread was started to either ask a simple question--which has been summarily answered many times now--or to bait people into slamming W or its customers.

Last edited by Srisarin; Jul 30, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
So what's your point, caller?

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Yes, agree , everyone knows that, no need to bring that flash news here while other members got different but all good point here...

From my experience, many of the loyalties from SPG side is not that interested in Marriott family brand and still tend to stay at SPG brands while while many Marriott loyalties choose brands that is from Marriott family before the acquisition. And many SPG Plat might leave the program if their benefit becomes more like Marriott Plat.

They are all into the same umbrella of Marriott international now, the reason why I still separate the those brands to the SPG and Marriott side just like before the acquisition is that the W and Westin all those existing SPG properties, which are operating, management, participating in design .. by SPG for a long time, the currently Bora Bora properties that own by Marriott have nothing to do with regarding to marriott's capability of building resorts and marketing and management.

JW is the only upscale brand that is create by Marriott, but Ren and RC is stayed with Marriott international for a long time and most properties for now is built after the purchase, while Currently Westin and W and St regis are mostly created by SPG and all the image and experience and impression that we had from those brands come with SPG, basically have nothing to do with Marriott so I can't see the capability of creating and managing luxury and leisure type hotels by Marriott from those SPG brands. Maybe we can , after 5 years .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.