Booking Club rooms as Plat

Old Jun 26, 17, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Booking Club rooms as Plat

There is probably a thread on this somewhere, but I was having a hard time going through all the threads and search...

Anyways the question is very simple. I have been traveling a lot for new work and I've hit SPG Platinum... I would sometimes book Club rooms, but now since Platinum includes Club access... is there a point for me to pay for club rooms at all?
Old Jun 26, 17, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
No, there isn't.
Old Jun 26, 17, 6:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
No, there isn't.
Not completely true. Some hotels will put a robe in a club room for your use during the stay. If you really want to be able to walk around the hotel room in a robe (and not bring it yourself or purchase one) then you might want to guarantee that club room. Or if you want a free travel sized bottle of mouth wash. Most hotels now seem to only provide the mouth wash bottle in club rooms. Of course you could just call housekeeping and they would probably bring you a bottle of mouthwash if you weren't in a club room, but you'd have to call them. So if you want to save yourself that call. You could pay for the club room.
Old Jun 26, 17, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
No, there isn't.
+1. Very likely you will get an upgrade to club level automatically. Unless hotel is very full.
Old Jun 26, 17, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
There is probably a thread on this somewhere, but I was having a hard time going through all the threads and search...

Anyways the question is very simple. I have been traveling a lot for new work and I've hit SPG Platinum... I would sometimes book Club rooms, but now since Platinum includes Club access... is there a point for me to pay for club rooms at all?
I"m going to say the majority of the time no, unless you specifically want to ensure you're on the Club/Executive level.

As a platinum elite, you're entitled to a Club Level room (Sheraton & Le Meridien) or Executive Level room (Westin) at properties. In addition, you will be given access to the lounge a properties that have them, even if you are not physically located on the Club/Executive level.
Old Jun 26, 17, 11:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
Not completely true. Some hotels will put a robe in a club room for your use during the stay. If you really want to be able to walk around the hotel room in a robe (and not bring it yourself or purchase one) then you might want to guarantee that club room. Or if you want a free travel sized bottle of mouth wash. Most hotels now seem to only provide the mouth wash bottle in club rooms. Of course you could just call housekeeping and they would probably bring you a bottle of mouthwash if you weren't in a club room, but you'd have to call them. So if you want to save yourself that call. You could pay for the club room.
One can also call housekeeping and ask for a robe. One doesn't have to be in a Club room to avail themselves of a hotel robe.
Old Jun 26, 17, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there isnb't a bathrobe in my room (except in aloft, element, and FourPoints), I call and ask for one. I've never been refused in a Starwood.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 26, 17 at 2:37 pm
Old Jun 26, 17, 2:30 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Don't you use the robe for parading throughout the lounge
Old Jun 26, 17, 4:31 pm

Club Rooms are usually on the higher floors so if the big cities, they can offer a much better view than an SPG level room.
Old Jun 26, 17, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Some hotels will put a robe in a club room for your use during the stay. If you really want to be able to walk around the hotel room in a robe (and not bring it yourself or purchase one) then you might want to guarantee that club room.
Or you can just call the front desk and ask them to bring you a robe.
Old Jun 26, 17, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Xu Guan View Post
Club Rooms are usually on the higher floors so if the big cities, they can offer a much better view than an SPG level room.
I have certainly found my share of Plat upgrades where my benefit is the same room category on the SPG floor, not a superior room or (select standard) suite. I understand what available means in the context of the SPG room upgrade benefit. There are, however, few places where I would pay club-level rates just for the view. (JW Marriott in Hong Kong for a first-time visitor is one.)
Old Jun 26, 17, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
Don't you use the robe for parading throughout the lounge
God I hate it when I see men do that. Now women, that's different
I remember the very first time in my life I saw a guy in a bathrobe in the lobby of a spa hotel in Telluride CO. Simply could not believe it, of course I was born in 1947 so that may have something to do with it.
Old Jun 30, 17, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Thanks for all good replies. I ask because as Gold I occasionally got Club access even when booking standard rooms and the inconsistency bothered me a bit, so out of habit I book Club rooms.

I used to stay are mostly Hyatt but after two years of inactivity they canceled my account, so I've gone SPG. Anyways I mostly stay are properties for two-three weeks at a time, and I actually prefer lower floors since it means if the elevators are busy I can use the stairs. Waiting ten minutes on busy times for the elevator gets old after a couple days. But if the property is low story or it seems it's the low season I do like the Club access and higher floors.
Old Jul 1, 17, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If you're traveling on business and somebody else is paying for the room, who cares what rate you book... grab the extra Starpoints!

But, for me, 95% of the value of paying for a Club room is the access to the Club. Since you get it for free as a Platinum, there's rarely enough difference in the room quality to justify any extra expense. Most of the time you'll be upgraded to a Club room anyhow and, if not, you can request that anything missing gets sent up (slippers, robe, toiletries, water, etc.).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: