Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

2 adults 1 child and expected to pay for extra bed ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat

Okay so i need some help .

I am staying in The Westin Xi'an soon , i booked a junior suite on spg.com and clearly booked and searched with the filter of 2 adults 1 child. Only suites came up so i booked a Junior suite for 2 adults 1 child (15yr old). I get the usual SPG gold elite help me to prepare for your stay email and i let them know to have the extra bed ready on arrival and they get back to me wanting 350 CNY per night for a extra bed ? I am sorry but where were they thinking my daughter was sleeping originally , on the floor ? I have emailed them back saying this is quite frankly a joke and i would hope they are able to provide the extra bed ( free of charge - i know very DYWIA of me).

Anyone have any insight or previous experience on how to handle this or am i just wasting my time ?
Old May 30, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Just been to do a dummy reservation and under the rate details it clearly states that a rollaway will be charged at 350 CNY.

If that was in place at the time that you made your booking, then I would suggest you are wasting your time as you agreed to it by making the reservation. However if you don't believe it was there when you made the reservation, then it is worth pushing back on.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAPC
Just been to do a dummy reservation and under the rate details it clearly states that a rollaway will be charged at 350 CNY.

If that was in place at the time that you made your booking, then I would suggest you are wasting your time as you agreed to it by making the reservation. However if you don't believe it was there when you made the reservation, then it is worth pushing back on.
I am nearly sure it was not there as I was specifically looking out for any bit of the T&C that mention the cost of a extra bed , i wouldn't make a rookie error like that. I will push on and see where it leads me
Old May 30, 2017, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Perhaps you're being charged the extra fee due to a child being listed to age 12 maximum.

Originally Posted by Flame3601
I am nearly sure it was not there as I was specifically looking out for any bit of the T&C that mention the cost of a extra bed , i wouldn't make a rookie error like that. I will push on and see where it leads me
Old May 30, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Srisarin
Perhaps you're being charged the extra fee due to a child being listed to age 12 maximum.
Good point , but the hotel considers any person a child who is aged under 17 and my daughter is 15.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Hmm this is not unusual in my experience - children typically sleep in existing bedding (i.e. with their parents, or if available a sofa bed) for free. When I travel with my young children I've normally been offered cots for free, but an extra bed or rollaway requires an additional fee.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Nothing to add, except that OP forgot the K. Rookie error, perhaps.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clublounger
Nothing to add, except that OP forgot the K. Rookie error, perhaps.
Are you implying there is a spelling mistakes somewhere or something else , will correct it if you could point it out to me ?

The hotel just got back to me and have offered me a executive family suite ( not listed on website ) at the Westin Residences ( also can not find anything online about this place). I think i will take it , i have to add they have been extremely helpful and full credit to them for helping me out as they even admitted it was a bit confusing .

Last edited by Flame3601; May 31, 2017 at 2:29 am
Old May 31, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Glad to hear that the hotel has been helpful and chosen to make an effort. Thanks for reporting back too. Sounds like a thumbs up to the Westin.

I hope you have a great stay in Xi'an.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
The hotel just got back to me and have offered me a executive family suite ( not listed on website ) at the Westin Residences ( also can not find anything online about this place). I think i will take it , i have to add they have been extremely helpful and full credit to them for helping me out as they even admitted it was a bit confusing .
That's a great solution. Will there be an upgrade charge/different room rate or is this free? If so it sounds like they really went the extra mile! ^
Old May 31, 2017, 4:46 am

Are you implying there is a spelling mistakes somewhere or something else , will correct it if you could point it out to me ?

I do not see anything about this as well. Is it an extension of the Westin Xian? What is the address? If it is me, I would want to confirm is this will be a qualifying stay for credits and points.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PayItForward
I do not see anything about this as well. Is it an extension of the Westin Xian? What is the address? If it is me, I would want to confirm is this will be a qualifying stay for credits and points.
At first i thought it was far too good to be true however it seems they have a separate building still under the Westin brand within the hotel complex , but more in the form of apartments. It seems you can only book these rooms/rates via Chinese sites such as ctrip, indicating it is mainly set up for Chinese tourists. Not too bothered on points as i have hardly been staying within the SPG network with all the Marriott options these days. Any point/credits will be a bonus.

Originally Posted by horizontal
That's a great solution. Will there be an upgrade charge/different room rate or is this free? If so it sounds like they really went the extra mile! ^
Yeah they really did go the extra mile , probably the best post arrival assistance i have had in years. The change is completely free , they were also very accepting of any offers or ideas i had to sort the issues out , it wad clear their main goal was to ensure i was happy as fast as possible regardless. Really top marks Westin Xi'an , gleaming Trip advisor review to be expected for them if all goes smoothly .

Originally Posted by RAPC
Glad to hear that the hotel has been helpful and chosen to make an effort. Thanks for reporting back too. Sounds like a thumbs up to the Westin.

I hope you have a great stay in Xi'an.
Thanks for reading , Westin really did go out of their way to help and staff have been fantastic !:-:
Old May 31, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
it seems to be very common for *wood hotels to charge for a rollaway bed. E.g. in an Intercontinental hotel, I had never to pay for a rollaway bed
Old May 31, 2017, 9:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by horizontal
Hmm this is not unusual in my experience - children typically sleep in existing bedding (i.e. with their parents, or if available a sofa bed) for free
IMHO this isn't necessarily as simple as a "rookie mistake".

Picking a random date (tomorrow) and pricing up a Junior Suite, King bed, I get :
1 Adult : CNY 952
2 Adults : CNY 952
2 Adults + 1 child (under 17) = CNY 1,302
Extra/child rollaway = (an additional) CNY 350 per rollaway per night

Could someone explain how this hefty surcharge for the child squares with 'sleeps free in existing bedding' ?
Old May 31, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
It's China !!!
Land of among other fast and loose practices like DCC

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Could someone explain how this hefty surcharge for the child squares with 'sleeps free in existing bedding' ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.