Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Not taking responsibility for their mistake. Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Not taking responsibility for their mistake. Help!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 10:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Collierkr
The point you make about spending at resorts relative to the $80 fee is exactly why properties are moving away from all inclusive. They can make more money!

If I were the OP I would cancel and go somewhere else. I also would have made an original booking that guaranteed all inclusive if that is what I was looking for.
Which general trend is there away from properties having inclusive meal plans? If anything, it seems like there is more of a move into it than out of it.

$160 per room night in supplemental hotel revenue from a couple is no joke for hotels, especially as their cost of mass food and drink procurement and production isn't so high as to make it all that unprofitable. A lot of that meal plan related revenue would be spent off-site otherwise, and that doesn't directly benefit the hotels to lose that revenue.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You contradicted yourself when you said that you booked it under the premise of all-inclusive. You said that you tried to include this option after you made the booking. There's a big difference. Also, Starwood Gold is pretty meaningless in terms of leverage with the hotel.
where is the contradiction????the op was pretty clear when she said that the all-inclusive had to be booked directly with the property....she made the reservation with spg & as per the information received from spg she got in touch with the property to add that option....
Old May 19, 2017, 11:43 am

OP booked the room with points so she has until 24 hours before arrival to cancel without penalty and have the points redeposited into her account.

There are literally dozens of hotels in Los Cabos that offer all inclusive packages. Just cancel and book one of those hotels if OP wants all inclusive so badly.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Statman
OP booked the room with points so she has until 24 hours before arrival to cancel without penalty and have the points redeposited into her account.

There are literally dozens of hotels in Los Cabos that offer all inclusive packages. Just cancel and book one of those hotels if OP wants all inclusive so badly.
Is it always 24 hours before arrival for penalty-free cancellation at this property? I've seen Starwood point stays at hotels where cancellation wasn't always allowed at 24 hours prior to arrival.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hopefully, the OP can cancel and re-book (at the same place or elsewhere) without penalty.

That has nothing to do with what I posted about this.

Your post mentions that the SPG agent was in error. When an SPG customer relies upon an SPG agent's representation in error to the detriment of that customer, then SPG should be responsible for fixing the situation for that customer -- that, or at least making sure the SPG customer can unwind from the contract upon which the customer detrimentally relied due to SPG's claim made in error. SPG has room for improvement in this regard.
The customer can unwind from the contract--by canceling. If the customer waited so long to cancel without any confirmation of booking an all-inclusive option, then the customer is the one at fault here...which is what I believe actually happened. The customer assumed too much, never confirmed a thing with the hotel, and just hoped against hope that if nothing was said that he or she would somehow magically get what they wanted. They didn't...and now are singing sour grapes. Sorry, I'm with SPG on this one.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any cancellation penalty should be waived, by SPG

if 3rd party package gets points, someone might PM it to OP
Old May 19, 2017, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it is cold comfort to OP, this is a public board. It appears that OP did business with the property via email rather than by phone and allowed time to pass. That was a mistake.

It was fine to send an email and wait a day or two. But, without a response, I would have called and taken care of this issue. Perhaps at the time the property still offered the add-on. At least OP would have known that it did not and been far earlier in the process.

Relying on emails is a bad way to do business in the first instance, especially if one does not receive a fairly immediate response. Perhaps asking for a confirming email, or some other written document is fine. But, leaving things hanging was asking for it and the passage of time was a sure sign that things were not going to end well.

Worse, it reads to me as though OP continued this with SPG as to the f&b credit issue. OP suggests that emails do not receive responses. They likely will not. OP needs to pick up the phone.

I too read the OP as being that the OP chose the property and wanted the add-on. But, OP knew that there were extra steps to be taken and until those were followed through, this was open to trouble.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
While it is cold comfort to OP, this is a public board. It appears that OP did business with the property via email rather than by phone and allowed time to pass. That was a mistake.

It was fine to send an email and wait a day or two. But, without a response, I would have called and taken care of this issue. Perhaps at the time the property still offered the add-on. At least OP would have known that it did not and been far earlier in the process.

Relying on emails is a bad way to do business in the first instance, especially if one does not receive a fairly immediate response. Perhaps asking for a confirming email, or some other written document is fine. But, leaving things hanging was asking for it and the passage of time was a sure sign that things were not going to end well.

Worse, it reads to me as though OP continued this with SPG as to the f&b credit issue. OP suggests that emails do not receive responses. They likely will not. OP needs to pick up the phone.

I too read the OP as being that the OP chose the property and wanted the add-on. But, OP knew that there were extra steps to be taken and until those were followed through, this was open to trouble.
Absolutely well said.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question ask them to listen to their tape

lmw, if you adamant that SPG confirmed the inclusive option, why not ask a supervisor to listen to the tape? i.e. if this is truly SPG's mistake, they will take responsibility for it.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Which general trend is there away from properties having inclusive meal plans? If anything, it seems like there is more of a move into it than out of it.

$160 per room night in supplemental hotel revenue from a couple is no joke for hotels, especially as their cost of mass food and drink procurement and production isn't so high as to make it all that unprofitable. A lot of that meal plan related revenue would be spent off-site otherwise, and that doesn't directly benefit the hotels to lose that revenue.
Maybe it depends on the location but having just come from Cancun last month I can tell you that some older ones and most of the new resorts are no longer all inclusive. Perhaps, they were tired of all the debauchery that unlimited food and drink brings.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Perhaps, they were tired of all the debauchery that unlimited food and drink brings.
...and tired of the typical kind of guest.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt & assume that the OP/hubby are not the debauchery kind. They booked a hotel on points & probably thought the $160/add on for all inclusive fit their budget.

I agree they should have been more pro-active in getting it sorted, but also agree that they were given bad info by SPG agents so it's not like the OP was totally in the wrong. For those saying cancel, we have no idea what the cancellation policy is for their reservation. Also, since they were using points they need a hotel in the area that's now available on points, which may not be available. It's not as simple as cancel & go ahead & book something paid, or cancel & incur airline charges if they switch to somewhere else/eat those tickets.

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Perhaps it wasn't bad information when it was given.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by lmw
The agent I talked to at the time said that she was surprised that they didn't offer that option because, according to her system, it was still offered.
For those who are saying that the Starwood agent was wrong, I'll point out this sentence. If true, then the blame falls squarely on the hotel. When they dropped the all-inclusive program for Starwood bookings, they should have updated that information in the Starwood system.

That little fact doesn't matter much to the OP. Still, if we're assigning blame, I think it should be placed on the hotel.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:50 pm
lmw
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt & assume that the OP/hubby are not the debauchery kind. They booked a hotel on points & probably thought the $160/add on for all inclusive fit their budget.

I agree they should have been more pro-active in getting it sorted, but also agree that they were given bad info by SPG agents so it's not like the OP was totally in the wrong. For those saying cancel, we have no idea what the cancellation policy is for their reservation. Also, since they were using points they need a hotel in the area that's now available on points, which may not be available. It's not as simple as cancel & go ahead & book something paid, or cancel & incur airline charges if they switch to somewhere else/eat those tickets.

Cheers.
OP here...thank you for the benefit of the doubt. You sum up our situation quite well.

For the sake of brevity, I left several details out of the initial post. When attempting to contact the hotel (which we did not do at the last minute), we noticed the hotel does not have a toll free number (so pretty high rates to call them from our US cell phones)...we called Starwood and asked if there was a toll free number. They said no, that email was the best way to get ahold of the hotel. We actually still called the hotel, but after sitting on hold for 10 minutes (at $5 a minute from our non international cell plans), we opted to hang up and pursue the email route as Starwood had suggested. We then emailed the email address that both Starwood and the website for the hotel provided. No response. We called Starwood again and they said again that was the way to contact the hotel. A few more no responses and finally a bounced back email and we called Starwood again. At that point they mentioned that they did in fact have a different email address that they could use to contact the hotel. They would email them and ask them to email us. That is the point at which we finally got in contact with the hotel and they informed us that there is no all inclusive option.

Also, to be clear, I have picked up the phone plenty of times. Our dealings with Starwood have been via phone. They emailed us after I initially called and asked for their help to tell us they won't help us, and I picked up the phone after that to call them to continue the conversation.

Just cancelling at this point is not so easy. We have plane tickets, there are no other properties in Cabo we can book on points, and we have time off work and childcare arranged for our 3 small children (no small feat) so we can celebrate our 10 year anniversary.

Ultimately, we will still have a great anniversary trip I'm sure. However, as I've said, I'm finding it incredibly frustrating and out of character for Starwood to be this unwilling to accept any responsibility on the issue. It seems one of the main issues is they have a communication problem with their property...I do feel like that is partially on Starwood to communicate with their own properties and have accurate information to provide to their members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.