Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soda / soft drink at breakfast

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC
As someone who doesn't tend to have lounge access, if I saw someone at the buffet lifting a soda I'd probably lift one too, even just to take back to the room.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by zzap
The last part was tongue-in-cheek.
I had hoped the entire post was tongue in cheek.

Do you also take Sprite bottles from the in-lobby store without payment, using the same logic and argument?
Old May 19, 2017, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would expect a breakfast buffet in a *good* hotel to be willing to provide a soda in place of coffee or tea at breakfast for no additional cost, but if one is asking for the soda in addition to the usual breakfast beverage, I would expect to be charged the standard restaurant price (not the room service price).
Agree.

If I'm eating at a hotel's restaurant breakfast buffet I'll often ask for diet coke/Pepsi when they ask if I want tea or coffee. I don't get charged for it. But if I asked for tea/coffee + soda, I would expect to get charged for the soda.

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Actually in the lounges I've been in there is usually a sign which says "all beverages and food are meant to be consumed in the lounge" or the equivalent. Whether it's enforced isn't the point; the providing of free soft drinks is something specific to the lounge.

I do agree they should have just put a cloth over the 'fridge.
I have literally been in lounges and watched people come in and fill small coolers with water and sodas... technically that may be okay per lounge rules but it is way over the top in terms of what a customer of any type should be doing.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The hotel should be embarrassed. Do they have a right to charge for the soda? Of course. Does it make sense to create ill-will over the price of a soda? Of course not. Obviously the OP is a good enough customer to have lounge access. As for monkey-see, monkey do - other customers seeing him take a soda so they take a soda - how would they know he didn't pay for it. The hotel staff could have gently stated something like, "Ordinarily soda is not included, but for you Mr. zzap, of course." That would have been a customer service win. Instead, we now all know the Westin in Taipei nickels and dimes guests.

FWIW, a couple months ago I asked for a Coke at breakfast in the Bali Sheraton. It was brought quickly, without question and without charge. It never occurred to me that there might be a charge. Since then I've given up soda and sugar, lost 30+ pounds and feel great, but that's another story.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
There is a big difference in asking for a soda, and it being brought without charge, and grabbing one from a fridge. Outside the US I would never expect soda to be available simply for taking at breakfast.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
This is one of my biggest pet peeves at hotels. I only drink soda (no coffee, no tea) and want one with breakfast. Recently, at the Aloft Abu Dhabi (no lounge), I was told I'd be charged. This negatively impacts my view of the property and my online reviews reflect as much. Does soda cost that much more than juice? Likely not, especially in the quantities they are providing. The lack of soda at breakfast is just galling to me personally (first world problem, I know).
Old May 19, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Entertaining how so many people in this thread have completely ignored the fact that OP was at a breakfast buffet in order to jump at passing judgment... FT at its usual best, I suppose.

Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
Does soda cost that much more than juice?
Note that soda out of a fountain costs literally pennies on the dollar (acknowledging that juice can be reconstituted in fountains as well, and that a soda fountain was not the case in the OP).
Old May 19, 2017, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by gengar
Entertaining how so many people in this thread have completely ignored the fact that OP was at a breakfast buffet in order to jump at passing judgment... FT at its usual best, I suppose.

Note that soda out of a fountain costs literally pennies on the dollar (acknowledging that juice can be reconstituted in fountains as well, and that a soda fountain was not the case in the OP).
I didn't ignore that. Keep in mind he asked for opinions. I would like to point out that the OP could avoided all of this by simply ASKING FIRST.

If he knew he had problems/issues with this before, he certainly could have asked staff or the management about adding or substituting a soda.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Grog
If you make the argument for sodas, the next person will make the argument for beer and wine. If they make the argument for beer and wine, the next person will make the argument for rum and gin.

What if the craving was for premium nuts at lunchtime? or for hors d'oeuvres at dinnertime in the restaurant?

I agree with the assessment of your actions being a bit rude and fully entitled. You admitted from the start that you've universally been charged for sodas at breakfast. But, knowing this, you still tried to sneak one instead of asking (admit it to yourself, you did) and got busted. Most of us have done similar at some point, and it hurts to get busted. But, while that's an ego bruiser, it should be considered a wake-up call (to either wake up to or to just tap snooze to) rather than a reason to argue with hotel employees.

You ask, "Am I to pre-emptively go to the lounge breakfast purely to grab a soda prior to heading down to the restaurant breakfast going forward?" Yes, if you drink it in the lounge, too. Otherwise you're just asking for the next conflict situation.

As previously mentioned, asking kindly may have gotten you somewhere.
Note that hotels offering the choice of a lounge breakfasts or breakfast in the restaurant don't generally permit guests to do both on the same morning without paying extra for one of the breakfasts. If OP were to enter the lounge for the soda and were required to do something to verify lounge access (sign in, show key card, tell name or room number, etc.), OP would risk being charged for the second breakfast even if the intent is only to obtain the soda.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I didn't ignore that. Keep in mind he asked for opinions. I would like to point out that the OP could avoided all of this by simply ASKING FIRST.

If he knew he had problems/issues with this before, he certainly could have asked staff or the management about adding or substituting a soda.
Then your opinion is even more way off the mark than I already thought it was.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by gengar
Then your opinion is even more way off the mark than I already thought it was.
Perfect, my master plan is complete! ^
Old May 19, 2017, 12:27 pm

I drink diet coke in every breakfast at every hotel I stayed at ever since I stopped drinking coffee. I just a little bit of caffeine to start the morning. The only time I have been charged for the diet coke was in Hong Kong. I just paid for it but it was probably the most expansive can of soda I have paid.. I think it was $80 HK.. which is like $10 US LOL. But I figure I get the breakfasts free which was about $40 US per person... I could pay for the the overpriced can of coke.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to read all the posts but the Mrs. Grundy responses just put me off. I'm surprised someone hasn't cross-examined you about whether you wiped your feet before entering the lounge.
So if someone already mentioned this, my apologies.
I don't think this would have happened in the US. Lots of Americans drink soda for breakfast. I don't get it. But I don't get chewing gum either.
Staff was rude and it's their responsibility to not have things that appear on offer when they aren't.
But I'm guessing they were as shocked at you wanting a soda as you were at their response.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why this and not that?

Services are segmented and this is not some all-inclusive resort with different colored bracelets which staff can use to identify which guests are entitled to the top-shelf booze and who gets the swill.

Perhaps if OP had asked, someone would have told him to go ahead and thought nothing further of it.

This suggests asking before taking.

I do witness people who at least superficially appear to be well-dressed and well-fed raiding lounges as though they are feeding a large, starving and poverty-stricken village. It is something about the word "free" which for some people compels them to act this way. And we wonder why lounges and their offerings go down hill?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.