Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Florence or St. Regis Rome on points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Westin Florence or St. Regis Rome on points?

I am going on a trip to Italy this fall and will be staying in both Florence and Rome for 5 nights. It will cost roughly the same amount of points for redemption at the Westin in Florence or the St. Regis in Rome. My obvious preference would be the St. Regis in Florence, but I don't have nearly enough points for that.

Any thoughts on which property I should use my redemption for? It looks like the St. Regis recently underwent a renovation, which is a plus.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Have no experience with the St Regis in Rome, but the Westin Florence was very nice.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Lake_Hood
It will cost roughly the same amount of points for redemption at the Westin in Florence or the St. Regis in Rome.
So use the points for the property with the higher cash room rate. ^

If there's some other point to your inquiry I don't get it. If you want to read that both properties are nice please look for the property master threads.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

If there's some other point to your inquiry I don't get it. If you want to read that both properties are nice please look for the property master threads.
St. Regis Rome is ~100 euros per night more expensive, but that is largely irrelevant as I will be using UR in whichever city I don't use the SPG points, and that will likely not be at a SPG property. I wanted to gauge what would be a better use of my points and didn't see a direct comparison between the two in the threads [and much of that is dated as St. Regis has gone through a recent renovation]. I get they are both nice, and that is clear in both threads, but was hoping to use another comparison point before I decide how I want to spend my hard-earned points. I am hoping someone in this forum could add a firsthand comparison. Appreciate any help.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I stayed at both properties last week, one day at each. Both are historic hotels, but the Westin has a more modern décor in the rooms whereas the St Regis is much more opulent.

I booked a basic room at both. As a LT Platinum, I was upgraded to a penthouse room with large outdoor terrace overlooking the Arno at the Westin (which is actually pricier than a junior suite). My SNA had not cleared, but I am sure this was a better room. At the St Regis I was given a Grandview Deluxe Suite (used an SNA) with small balcony facing the Arno. The Platinum recognition at the St Regis was outstanding.

Breakfast was comparable at both. I loved both hotels. They are across the piazza from each other, so a 30 second walk. I don't think you can go wrong at either of them.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I think he is referring to St. Regis Rome.

I had drinks at Westin Florence and remembered the St. Regis right across hence I understand the confusion :-)

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I stayed at both properties last week, one day at each. Both are historic hotels, but the Westin has a more modern décor in the rooms whereas the St Regis is much more opulent.

I booked a basic room at both. As a LT Platinum, I was upgraded to a penthouse room with large outdoor terrace overlooking the Arno at the Westin (which is actually pricier than a junior suite). My SNA had not cleared, but I am sure this was a better room. At the St Regis I was given a Grandview Deluxe Suite (used an SNA) with small balcony facing the Arno. The Platinum recognition at the St Regis was outstanding.

Breakfast was comparable at both. I loved both hotels. They are across the piazza from each other, so a 30 second walk. I don't think you can go wrong at either of them.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by levistrauss
I think he is referring to St. Regis Rome.

I had drinks at Westin Florence and remembered the St. Regis right across hence I understand the confusion :-)
Duh, you're right. Did not read the thread title properly. My bad.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
+1

I have paid stays & pts stays at both SR Florence & SR Rome. The Westin I've only been up to the rooftop area for cocktails, so I can't comment on the rooms or the "main" hospitality of the hotel. (But I'm a HUGE SR Firenze fan, and when it's booked like my trip in June... I stay elsewhere other than the Westin.)

I'd say use your points at the SR in Roma. And then if you're going to use another points currency (UR, I believe) check out a non-SPG property in Firenze, like JK Place Firenze.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
One more vote for this.

Cash + points may be another option worth looking in to; it can be a good way to conserve points and spread them out a little.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RCyyz
One more vote for this.

Cash + points may be another option worth looking in to; it can be a good way to conserve points and spread them out a little.
This does not work if OP is wants to use points for 5 nights, pay for 4. C+P requires points and cash for all 5 nights.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
I am going on a trip to Italy this fall and will be staying in both Florence and Rome for 5 nights. It will cost roughly the same amount of points for redemption at the Westin in Florence or the St. Regis in Rome. My obvious preference would be the St. Regis in Florence, but I don't have nearly enough points for that.

Any thoughts on which property I should use my redemption for? It looks like the St. Regis recently underwent a renovation, which is a plus.

I guess this is going to come down to:

1. What are the hotels you would get in the other city with UR? If you get the best choice for each city we can weigh in with opinions.
2. Are you a St. Regis fan? I believe even post renovation the one in Rome will keep that same over the top, old world opulence that some of us love and others see as dated.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. Ended up booking the Westin in Florence and the Albergo Del Senato in Rome. Rearranged the trip to stay an extra night in Rome, which made my decision for me. Excited to check the Florence property out.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Thanks for all the help. Ended up booking the Westin in Florence and the Albergo Del Senato in Rome. Rearranged the trip to stay an extra night in Rome, which made my decision for me. Excited to check the Florence property out.
Great call. Have never stayed at the Albergo, but great area. Don't like the St Regis Rome area at all.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
good selection, in my opinion. I have not stayed at Albergo Del Senato, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've walked past it several times in my Rome travels - it is probably the best location for staying in Rome - right at The Pantheon. It's an excellent area. And, for a dinner, make a reservation for Armando al Pantheon - a minute's walk across the piazza from Albergo. It is a fabulous small trattoria with excellent Roman cuisine. And, grab a caffe granita (with whip) just a few steps away at Tazza d' Oro - a nice way to cool off!

At the Westin, make sure to spend one evening sipping a cocktail up on the rooftop at Sesto. And, head across the street to the St. Regis and have their signature "Bloody Mary" riff - the Brunello Mary. Made with grappa. In my top 2 of the St. Regis Marys that I've had so far.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slidergirl
good selection, in my opinion. I have not stayed at Albergo Del Senato, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've walked past it several times in my Rome travels - it is probably the best location for staying in Rome - right at The Pantheon. It's an excellent area. And, for a dinner, make a reservation for Armando al Pantheon - a minute's walk across the piazza from Albergo. It is a fabulous small trattoria with excellent Roman cuisine. And, grab a caffe granita (with whip) just a few steps away at Tazza d' Oro - a nice way to cool off!

At the Westin, make sure to spend one evening sipping a cocktail up on the rooftop at Sesto. And, head across the street to the St. Regis and have their signature "Bloody Mary" riff - the Brunello Mary. Made with grappa. In my top 2 of the St. Regis Marys that I've had so far.
Thanks for the tips! I will made my reservation for Armando al Pantheon and look forward to doing the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.