Search

Amex FHR VS. SPG platinum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Amex FHR VS. SPG platinum

If

Two guests check in to a SPG hotel in the same time, they both asking for an upgrade to a Suite, and there is only one suite left.

A is a Amex Plat holder booking through FHR, also having SPG platinum by Staus match or whatever, not really a royalty SPG member, maybe stay less than 15 nights a year.

B is a SPG platinum member who have stay with SPG for a long time and a faithful customer, staying 30~50 nights a year.

Who do you think will get the upgrade?

Why those hotel are willing to give Amex such a great benefit? How much did Amex FHR paid to SPG St regis and Four Seasons?

Which is more important to a hotel? FHR or their own member ?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Probably the one who doesn't ask...

Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:39 am

A. The hotel sees A as a platinum guest + paying higher rate.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It should be whoever checks in first. It's impossible for two people to check in at exactly the same time.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some upgrades are done before arrival, can also be negotiated without agency/status

FHR = one category upgrade (top room to suite) at checkin
some centurion FHR may be one category upgrade at booking

virtuoso/etc have some st regis with one cat upgrade (including to suite) at booking

SPG and others certainly track beyond platinum/100 status - all are not equal

reputation of FHR/etc varies, FHR/etc agents vary

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
A. The hotel sees A as a platinum guest + paying higher rate.
rates and packages vary
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
AMEX doesn't pay the hotels... promotion through AMEX channels is valuable to a hotel and AMEX FHR-eligible cardholders are seen as high-income and high-value so they want to attract them.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With a few exceptions, the published FHR benefit is a one category upgrade, based on availability at check in. You can ask PTS/CTS phone agents for specifics of what categories upgrade into which categories; they can easily see this information in their computer systems.

Of course, some properties will decide to give a FHR customer an upgrade of more than one category, sometimes when the one category up rooms are sold out and sometimes (yay!) just because. However, if the category immediately above the category you booked is not available, the hotel is not obligated to give any upgrade.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

contracts always one category, "centurion partner" brands (not all centurion FHR) offer at booking

i think GHA is only one to publish two category upgrade, not sure re limits (or if any SPG)

agencies (and marketers) refer revenue to suppliers. amex was first to create something like FHR, because they issued platinum charge card worldwide (no centurion at the time) and had a travel business.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 22, 2017 at 12:40 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
AMEX doesn't pay the hotels... promotion through AMEX channels is valuable to a hotel and AMEX FHR-eligible cardholders are seen as high-income and high-value so they want to attract them.
Wouldn't this logic (high-income, high-value) generally apply to SPG platinum members as well though? In fact, having a Platinum AmEx means that you have a decent credit score and income, but doesn't really reflect on your liquidity or disposable income. SPG Platinum means you spend at least, say $350 x 50 = $17.5k a year on hotels.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
@MSPeconomist "You can ask PTS/CTS phone agents for specifics of what categories upgrade"

Why should regular guests need to ask? I hate asking for upgrades, I feel more "loved" when they are offered.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
@MSPeconomist "You can ask PTS/CTS phone agents for specifics of what categories upgrade"

Why should regular guests need to ask? I hate asking for upgrades, I feel more "loved" when they are offered.
Not ask for the upgrade but ask about the details of "if I reserve room category X, into exactly what category Y of room can I get my one category FHR upgrade?" This is useful to know as sometimes a superior with view can upgrade one category into deluxe with no view, etc.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I asked a front desk manager once at one of the SF properties. He said that when allotting rooms, they sort by status and then by FHR/Virtuoso. But, he said, if you are an elite+FHR, you pop right to the top for an upgrade. Not sure if that's policy or just how that property does it.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I think it also depends on the total length of your stay and the availability of the upgraded category during that length of time.

It is easier to upgrade the guest with a short stay (eg. 1-2 night) as opposed to the guest of a longer stay (eg. 7 days).
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
And one thing people often forget is that it also matters what the person's history with that particular hotel is.

I know a guy who is SPG Plat and for many years has brought a minimum of 40 nights a year to a specific property. He pretty much gets upgraded to the exact same suite every stay.

If he were to drop from SPG PLT to SPG Gold one year for whatever reason you can be sure that he will still get "his" suite when he only booked a standard room as a Gold.

The kind of pre-allocated upgrades they do the afternoon before tend to take care of the house VIPs as well.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eupatoria
Wouldn't this logic (high-income, high-value) generally apply to SPG platinum members as well though? In fact, having a Platinum AmEx means that you have a decent credit score and income, but doesn't really reflect on your liquidity or disposable income. SPG Platinum means you spend at least, say $350 x 50 = $17.5k a year on hotels.
and some spend $17.5K per trip/night

amex issues cards = sees and markets what cardholders spend
hotels see average spend of clients from certain agencies
FHR does not include lower end SPG properties

forumpersona999, spend trumps nights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.