Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Handicap accessible shower at Aloft... unusable for non-handicapped guest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Handicap accessible shower at Aloft... unusable for non-handicapped guest?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bigshooter
you quoted my post without reading it, I booked without realizing it was accessible room. Yes I also told FD I did not need accessible room, but allegedly hotel was full.
If the hotel was fully booked for accessible rooms, most likely someone who needed an accessible room was forced to book a different hotel. It's not like someone who is a non-smoker thinking they can deal with a smoking room for the night.

Instead of trying to get the hotel to change the way an accessible room that you don't need is setup, just don't book an accessible room in the future unless you actually physically need it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:37 pm

This board needs the "what's the most useless thing you can find to complain about" thread like they have on Delta... and this post would fit right in.

"I got what I reserved and now I am whining" LOL!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by wrp96
If the hotel was fully booked for accessible rooms, most likely someone who needed an accessible room was forced to book a different hotel. It's not like someone who is a non-smoker thinking they can deal with a smoking room for the night.

Instead of trying to get the hotel to change the way an accessible room that you don't need is setup, just don't book an accessible room in the future unless you actually physically need it.
Do you ever book through a corporate booking tool? About 80% of the time the accessible room is the lowest rate for me. I have a good bit of discretion so can pay extra for a normal room but sounds like the OP does not have that option. There are also often times when according to the booking engine I have a king but the hotel puts me in two queens because that's how the reservation goes through. Believe me, I do everything I can to avoid them but I still end up in several times a year. It's entirely possible that this happened due to no fault whatsoever by the OP.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:06 pm

This is mostly a rant, but when you're on the road often little things bug you. I just checked into an Aloft and being cheap chose the prepaid low rate without realizing it was accessible. When FD told me I thought oh well the worst it could be is a roll in shower. When I looked at the shower however the shower head does not raise higher than about 5 1/2 ft (I'm 6'3").

is this normal? I have been in accessible rooms at other properties and while you don't get a nice shower head like a regular room, it at least extends to typical adult height appropriate levels.
Solution #1 : Ask to be moved to an inaccessible room.

Solution #2 : Shower sitting down. If there isn't a shower chair in the shower, call the front desk and ask for one.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The accessible aloft rooms I've seen have had a very large bathroom with a roll in shower, with curtains and a fold down bench which is handy even if you don't need it for accessibility reasons. I think the shower head either was of adjustable height shower or had an additional hand held shower spray thingie, but I don't remember any problems with the height of the shower head.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 24, 2017 at 7:05 am Reason: Correcting autocorrect
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
When I looked at the shower however the shower head does not raise higher than about 5 1/2 ft (I'm 6'3").
I have seen this before and have had to deal with it, don't remember which hotel though.

The way I look at it is, if I can bend down to kiss my girlfriend who is under 5 1/2 ft, I can bend down to wash my hair with a 5 1/2 ft shower head. I am also 6' 3".

Certainly not ideal for taking a nice long shower, but given the hotel is sold out, hardly the end of the world. Did you check with them if you could change rooms the next day?

I guess i have learned my lesson with Starwood and not to automatically choose the low rate without paying attention (I hope Marriotts booking process takes over for Starwood's), but this is ridiculous. Shouldn't they design these things for dual use?
In my experience, an accessible room at SPG is pretty clearly stated during the booking selection. And, I think most SPG brands would have dual-use of the accessible rooms. Aloft is a simpler setup and I don't recall ever seeing an adjustable shower head in one. I would guess their compromise was a 5 1/2 foot shower head, which actually might be a little higher than normal for somebody in a wheelchair.

Last edited by whimike; Apr 23, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Books an accessible room, complains about accessible facilities....

How about not being cheap and leave the rooms to those living with disability who actually require them as it seems you do this often.
These rooms do not typically sell out.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:51 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JackE
These rooms do not typically sell out.
Hotels are never 100%? Puh-lease.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When the story changes, regardless of whether due to omissions or actually changing the story, it results in questions and skepticism pretty much universally on FT.
Which, unfortunately, says a lot more about FT than the posters being harangued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.