Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Sought: Cash or Points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Advice Sought: Cash or Points?

I'm curious to get your opinions on booking some upcoming stays with cash or points.

I have a nice SPG point balance, and have no foreseeable use for them until early/mid-2018 except for an upcoming trip to Scandinavia. I have existing non-consecutive 3-day and 2-day reservations in standard rooms at the Sheraton Stockholm for $250/night, and a one night reservation in a deluxe room at Klaus K in Helsinki for $340. I can convert the Stockholm nights to points stays for 16,000 points/night and the Klaus K reservation to ponts in a basic room for 10,000 points (cash rate on a basic room is only $165).

These seem like pretty crummy redemption rates, but again I'll have no need for the points for probably another year or so, and there is no telling what will happen to the SPG rewards program between now and then. Moreover, I will probably earn another 100,000 or so points before I need to use them.

What would you do? Convert the stays to points at these crummy rates, or horde the points to early/mid-2018?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Hoarding loyalty points with no foreseeable goal is the surest way to lose big in the usual devaluations those programs are regularly subjected to.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
If you didn't have a healthy number of points already and weren't going to accumulate 100K more, my advice might be to hold onto them. But on balance, I think you're better off using them.

Two caveats, though:

1. Is there any chance you'd instead use those points to convert to airline miles (such as on Singapore) something like 11 months in advance of your flights, so as to have a decent chance of bagging an F or J seat(s)? If so, you could go that route.
2. If you go ahead and burn the points on these hotels, you could call SPG to see if suites or at least larger rooms are available for point redemptions. Sometimes those better rooms are available for relatively smaller increases in points, but you have to enquire by phone.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
If you didn't have a healthy number of points already and weren't going to accumulate 100K more, my advice might be to hold onto them. But on balance, I think you're better off using them.

Two caveats, though:

1. Is there any chance you'd instead use those points to convert to airline miles (such as on Singapore) something like 11 months in advance of your flights, so as to have a decent chance of bagging an F or J seat(s)? If so, you could go that route.
2. If you go ahead and burn the points on these hotels, you could call SPG to see if suites or at least larger rooms are available for point redemptions. Sometimes those better rooms are available for relatively smaller increases in points, but you have to enquire by phone.
Thanks; good thoughts. I'll look into those options.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Those are poor redemption rates for both. You should get at least .02 per point including taxes IMO. I'd save the points and pay attention to the new program; if you don't like it, there will probably be a grace period where you can offload SPG points to airline miles before the program dies or shift them over to Marriott and get a flight/hotel package with those points.
SPG points actually hold their value pretty well; the key will be to make sure you don't get burned by the new program.
Also, is the Klaus K really worth the differential from basic to deluxe? That's crazy. I'd switch to basic room in cash, too.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Using points or dollars

with the different changes this year I am not sure which method to pay for a 3 night stay in Barcelona. A category seven hotel is 50,000 points the hotel with ,fees is about $420.00.

is it better to save the points for a more expensive hotel?

Also, can I use SNA if I pay with points?

thanks

Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:19 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
It’s pretty much a wash if you value Marriott points at 8 cents as that comes out to $400. Certainly not an amazing redemption.

Yes, you can use SNAs on a points redemption.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It all depends on the sizes of your bank account(s) and Bonvoy account.
nequine likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ymx
It’s pretty much a wash if you value Marriott points at 8 cents as that comes out to $400. Certainly not an amazing redemption.

Yes, you can use SNAs on a points redemption.
Getting 8 cents a point would be really good.

Now, achieving 0.8 cents per point, I would call borderline and thus a toss for the OP’s current circumstances.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ymx
0.8˘/point. 8˘/point would be a nightly rate of $4,000.

FWIW, I use 1˘/point or better as a rule, BUT that is for my travel paradigm. All of my travel is personal so I need to maximize the use of points. Many folks who travel on business earn a plethora of points on OPM are fortunate that they do not need to be so discerning.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for all the input. I’ll keep my cash reservation for now. May find better value for the points. My travel too, is all personal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.