2017 Q2 Promo Speculation

Old May 7, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Canada101
This from the Flyertalk MR forum. Looks like there should be a Q2/Summer promo.
I would be pretty bummed out if that is the promo. I have an 84 night stay coming up.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Canada101
This from the Flyertalk MR forum. Looks like there should be a Q2/Summer promo.
Phew, had me worried for a second. I have three stays planned for my upcoming trip. I really didn't want to miss out on some sweet double points.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Medved
Someone needs grade 1 math refresher. Quarter means 1/4 of something. It assumes that a year divided into 4 parts. Starwood runs 3 promos a year. Using quarter identifier is irrelevant. Why then not months 4-6 or 9-12? Or weeks 13-26? How you would define Sep-Dec promo? Q3 1/3/ + Q4 3/4? Trimester breaks the year neatly into Jan-April, May-Aug, Sep-Dec. That exactly how Starwood promos are always have been run, whether you go by the commencement date or duration.
This is not about math. But it seems that somebody needs to look up the meaning of the word "trimester", which is what I took issue with. Trimester means a period of three months and not the division of 1 year into thirds. There are 4 trimesters in a year, the same way there are 4 quarters in a year.
To further illustrate the difference: if a year had 24 months instead of 12, it would still have 4 quarters, each lasting 6 months. It would also have 8 trimesters, each lasting 3 months.
I'm guessing that English is not your native language.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I'm lost. I know I have major stays in June, July, and September. But even as a Lifetime Plat, I no longer get the emails about the promos. I just depleted my account of points for my Greece trip this fall. I'd love to earn the promo points during my June stay, especially. There's no real promos set for May or June?
Old May 7, 2017, 7:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Don't know if it's too much of a stretch, but hopefully the Marriott promo this hints at a "Stay at all SPG brands"-type promotion this year? I'd be quite pleased if that were the case.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
right in the middle of a 9 night stay which will be followed immediately by a 6 night stay, which in turn will be followed by a 5 night stay a couple days later....all without a promo....sucks....
Old May 8, 2017, 2:06 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Okto
This is not about math. But it seems that somebody needs to look up the meaning of the word "trimester", which is what I took issue with. Trimester means a period of three months and not the division of 1 year into thirds. There are 4 trimesters in a year, the same way there are 4 quarters in a year.
To further illustrate the difference: if a year had 24 months instead of 12, it would still have 4 quarters, each lasting 6 months. It would also have 8 trimesters, each lasting 3 months.
Think pregnancy as well.
1st Trimester
2nd Trimester
3rd Trimester = Baby born... !
Old May 9, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: SPG100, Marriott Plat, United 1K, Hertz Pres, Peasant Rest:)
Originally Posted by Keyser
right in the middle of a 9 night stay which will be followed immediately by a 6 night stay, which in turn will be followed by a 5 night stay a couple days later....all without a promo....sucks....

You know what blows? That I stay 52 weeks a year 3 nights a week, sometimes weekends....

I am soo annoyed that I have to come to this message board to find out about any promotion as SPG literally doesn't email anything anymore.

I think only Hertz is worse in terms of communication when it comes to promotions.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Okto
I think both points of view are wrong and/or pedantic.

Trimester is actually the best way to describe the way SPG runs promos (they run 3 trimesters worth of promotions a year and leave out 3 months). It doesn't matter that there are a 'potential' 4 trimesters in the year so saying that SPG has 3 trimesters dividing the year up into Jan - Apr, May - Aug, Sep - Dec is actually reasonable because although months cross over each promotional period is actually 3 months give or take. There are 3 trimesters in SPGs promotional periods per year and there is nothing wrong with having a break between each trimester.

24 months DOES NOT mean there are 8 trimesters, it means there are anywhere from 1-8 trimesters. Trimester is a context sensitive term (e.g. in academics it means three terms over the year, in pregnancy it means three consecutive trimesters, in finance it means Jan-Feb-Mar for 4 trimesters, in SPG promotions its 3 trimesters).

Quarter does actually mean the year is divided into 4 periods, and to be fair using these divisions does not completely suit how SPG runs their promotions.

At the same time, there is nothing wrong with saying Q1, Q2, Q3 as in this case we don't need to be pedantic, most of the time in promotions and releases this simply refers to commencement date / majority period in which the promotion takes place.

In this case though, and if you want to be pedantic, trimester is indeed a more accurate way to denote the three 3 month periods in which SPG runs promotions, just not for the reason the other poster quoted.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by mingzie
In this case though, and if you want to be pedantic, ...
I think you've hit the nail on the head right there.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Separate from the upcoming summer promo, Marriott's announced a regional promo for the Middle East/Africa across Marriott/RC/SPG brands. Looks to be more discount oriented.

"All guests booking between 1st May and 31st August 2017 for stays between 21st May – 9th September 2017 can enjoy 20% off on the best available rate and a 30% off on food and soft beverages at participating restaurants, bars and lounges. However, Loyalty Program members are eligible for the additional benefits of 30% off on the best available rate and a voucher for a 30% off on their next stay, valid for stay between 10th September – 31st December 2017."

I posted about it in the Marriott forum. More details there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-21-9-9-a.html
Old May 12, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Separate from the upcoming summer promo, Marriott's announced a regional promo for the Middle East/Africa across Marriott/RC/SPG brands. Looks to be more discount oriented.

"All guests booking between 1st May and 31st August 2017 for stays between 21st May 9th September 2017 can enjoy 20% off on the best available rate and a 30% off on food and soft beverages at participating restaurants, bars and lounges. However, Loyalty Program members are eligible for the additional benefits of 30% off on the best available rate and a voucher for a 30% off on their next stay, valid for stay between 10th September 31st December 2017."

I posted about it in the Marriott forum. More details there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-21-9-9-a.html
Which is completely irrelevant to this thread.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by walukanis
I am soo annoyed that I have to come to this message board to find out about any promotion as SPG literally doesn't email anything anymore.
Starwood does targeted promotions. Years ago, Starwood (even with a post by Lurker, IIRC) said it was going to do targeted promotions. Giving everybody a discount or promo is so last century - just a waste of marketing spending.

These promo speculation threads are utterly valueless. People are very quick to announce actual promos across FT forums.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Starwood does targeted promotions. Years ago, Starwood (even with a post by Lurker, IIRC) said it was going to do targeted promotions. Giving everybody a discount or promo is so last century - just a waste of marketing spending.

These promo speculation threads are utterly valueless. People are very quick to announce actual promos across FT forums.
I completely agree, Consider we discuss the same topics over and over. From the date of announcement; The date the actual promotion will begin; the periods quarterly vs trimester, etc. Not to mention the types of promotions that will be offered.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Which is completely irrelevant to this thread.
I couldn't find a Middle East & Africa promo thread when I searched in the SPG forum, so it was either create a new thread since this is the first promo that includes RC/Marriott/SPG or tag onto this promo thread since I thought people would be checking it. Since I already created a thread re: the combined promo in the Marriottt forum, it would violate TOS to create a new thread re: the same topic in this forum, which is why I gave the heads up but provided a link to the thread in the Marriott forum.

I'm sorry that my wanting to share info to SPG FTers about a regional discount promo that would save them $$ is considered irrelevant.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.