(child) rollaways in SPG properties

Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
(child) rollaways in SPG properties

Sorry for opening a new thread, couldn't find any specific on this topic.

I'm a bit confused regarding booking a room for 2 adults and one child.

I was looking at hotels in Madrid and found a reasonable rate which I can pay with points.

In the terms and conditions it states:

Extra Charges
Note: At this hotel guests 12 and under are considered children. All other guests are considered adults.

Extra rollaway: No charge
Child rollaway: USD 53.70 per rollaway/per night.
Crib: No charge

Note: not all rooms may be able to accommodate rollaways or cribs. Please contact the hotel directly for more information.
Family Plan Policy
Children who are 12 or younger sleep for free in the existing bedding of a room shared with a paying adult. Rollaways, child rollaways and cribs may incur extra charges.

This all is a bit contradictory to me.

1) why is an extra rollaway 'no charge' and a child rollaway USD 53,70 per night? Is this because when searching for a room for 3 adults, I am getting king/queen/2 single bed with a 70 USD extra person charge, and the rollaway is included in that charge?

2) It mentions that children under 12 sleep for free in the existing bedding of a room. I suppose this is only valid when a single parent sleeps in a room with a child? I am not seeing that option, I am being automatically charged a child rollaway. Not that I plan of squeezing my 11yr old in between my wife and myself, but just curious how this is to be understood.

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by The Wolf
Is this because when searching for a room for 3 adults, I am getting king/queen/2 single bed with a 70 USD extra person charge, and the rollaway is included in that charge?
That is how I would interpret this data. Although, I agree this information is fairly confusing.

As with most situations, the best answer is going to come from the people who enforce the rules. If I was in your shoes, I'd contact the hotel to get clarification.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Mar 21, 2017 at 4:52 pm Reason: Added to first paragraph.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of parents sleep with kids - yes kid in the middle.
Basically kids are free if you dont need extra bed.

My advice is to bring an inflatable twin mattress with you if you dont want to deal with extra bed charges. Kids love them and its easy to put aside during the day unlike extra bed. I usually just leave them at hotels to make up space for any stuff we get during trips.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by azepine00
Plenty of parents sleep with kids - yes kid in the middle.
Basically kids are free if you dont need extra bed.

My advice is to bring an inflatable twin mattress with you if you dont want to deal with extra bed charges. Kids love them and its easy to put aside during the day unlike extra bed. I usually just leave them at hotels to make up space for any stuff we get during trips.
Excellent tip! ^
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and when there are fees, it means it is not a case of fire/etc regulatory limit
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
When travelling with our one-year-old son, whenever we go overseas (we live in the US), I always email the GM or reservations at the hotels we are staying at to let them know we will need a crib for our son and if there is an additional charge for him (I have seen many conflicting policies in individual hotels before). A rollaway may be different. In my experience, European hotels (including SPG hotels) are strict w the number of people in the room, however, when I have emailed ahead, they have always waived any charge for cribs or extra person. Its better to know ahead of time so you can change your travel plans if needed instead of being surprised at the hotel when you show up.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesnt exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by azepine00
+1. Rollaway charges for kids are highway robbery IMO. For US hotel stays, I've been known to just go on Amazon and buy an air mattress sent straight to the hotel. You can get perfectly decent ones for $20-30, and hotels have always been happy to bring up and extra blanket and sheets. Saves a ton of money on multiple night stays. I'll just leave it in the box in the room when we check out.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
[QUOTE=SAN-man;28104062] I've been known to just go on Amazon and buy an air mattress sent straight to the hotel. You can get perfectly decent ones for $20-30, and hotels have always been happy to bring up and extra blanket and sheets. [QUOTE]

I speak only for myself, but I think it's a bit tacky to ask a hotel to send up blankets & sheets for the air mattress when you're trying to circumvent their roll-away charges.

Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=SkiAdcock;28104341][QUOTE=SAN-man;28104062] I've been known to just go on Amazon and buy an air mattress sent straight to the hotel. You can get perfectly decent ones for $20-30, and hotels have always been happy to bring up and extra blanket and sheets.

I speak only for myself, but I think it's a bit tacky to ask a hotel to send up blankets & sheets for the air mattress when you're trying to circumvent their roll-away charges.

Cheers.
I dont see getting extra sheets any different than getting extra towels.
On the other hand I see $50 per kid per night charges some hotels try to extort as tacky but of course ymmv

In general though i can somewhat understand trying to force an extra adult to pay a rollaway fee as adults can book another room. When you travel with small kids however booking two rooms is not the best solution as connecting rooms are never guaranteed plus leaving kids in a separate room may present additional challenges. Suites are usually priced completely out of whack so that's rarely an option...

Last edited by azepine00; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:45 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In Europe, where many properties charge extra for extra people, it is important not to mess with this stuff. In places where "rules are rules" it is easy to find yourself paying the rack rate or being required to take an extra room.

On the other hand, when you call ahead and deal with these things up front, you would be surprised at how quickly extra fees & charges can drop off your bill. Or maybe the rollaway gets charged, but a nice dinner is comped.

All about how you deal with people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.