Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation]

Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation]

Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This is something I wish more tropical hotels had:

Double screen front doors now give guests the option to be cooled by the trade winds.

Brand new: The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort debuts - West Hawaii Today
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If you look at the property's own website (dressed up in the Westin theme, but not Starwood site itself) in Japanese, there is a "Hapuna Beach Club". It's basically a lounge all but in name, and you can buy up to for $90/night for 2 ($45 for 3rd person). I asked in both English and Japanese, they confirmed Plats do not have access. Is this typical? I thought Plats were let into lounges like at the Westin Moana Surfrider?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by msp3
If you look at the property's own website (dressed up in the Westin theme, but not Starwood site itself) in Japanese, there is a "Hapuna Beach Club". It's basically a lounge all but in name, and you can buy up to for $90/night for 2 ($45 for 3rd person). I asked in both English and Japanese, they confirmed Plats do not have access. Is this typical? I thought Plats were let into lounges like at the Westin Moana Surfrider?
Yikes, let's hope this changes after 8/1
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BarryL
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Plats *lose* lounge access at resorts after August 1? If I had to guess they must be waiting until then to open it up more so...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Plats *lose* lounge access at resorts after August 1? If I had to guess they must be waiting until then to open it up more so...
Originally Posted by BarryL
I was told in email by the hotel that the "lounge" is now for owners of the on-site units.

Legacy SPG hotels, including resorts, with lounges that offered access before August 1 will continue to offer access after August 1.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
......Legacy SPG hotels, including resorts, with lounges that offered access before August 1 will continue to offer access after August 1.
Sounds great. Source?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
I was told in email by the hotel that the "lounge" is now for owners of the on-site units.
Legacy SPG hotels, including resorts, with lounges that offered access before August 1 will continue to offer access after August 1.
Originally Posted by TerryK
Sounds great. Source?
From Wiki

A12. Will SPG Platinum members still have lounge access at Sheraton/Le Meridien/Westin Resorts properties that have a lounge?
Members will continue to enjoy lounge access as they do today at Westin, Sheraton, and Le Meridien resorts. <added by Starwood Lurker 19Apr18>
Suppose the key word here is "today" in other words big fat NO.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist.
Taking the fam on vacation here in early October. Any SPG Plat's been since the rebrand? Booked two ocean view premium rooms.

Curious what type of Plat benefits they are offering now, the hotel was a bit loose on the details when I called. Looks like some folks have gotten golf / spa / dining discounts?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rdelk
Taking the fam on vacation here in early October. Any SPG Plat's been since the rebrand? Booked two ocean view premium rooms.

Curious what type of Plat benefits they are offering now, the hotel was a bit loose on the details when I called. Looks like some folks have gotten golf / spa / dining discounts?
I will be there next week.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist.
What's the verdict?

I will be there next week.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FreeLunch
Hockeyinsider - thank you for the review. Did they give any indication of when the construction for the timeshare residences will be done?
They said December, but I imagine it could be longer. The hotel claims it is out of their power, but they are the ones who sold the building. The construction should have been done when the entire hotel was under renovation.

I can put up with a little noise, but they actually put three SPG platinums next to the construction while colleagues of mine with zero status were given rooms at the complete opposite end of the hotel as far from the noise as possible. You want to be on the Mauna Kea volcano side of the hotel to avoid the noise. I also don't like front desks that lie to elites about upgrades.

This would be a phenomenal property if construction was complete and some attention was paid to the details. For example, there is no turndown service. At the same time, they offer complimentary shoe shine service. Really? Who gets their shoes shined at a resort in Hawaii? You'd think turndown service would be a better offering. There are no fresh berries on the buffet, which is otherwise very good. They keep the legacy SPG standard of Starbucks coffee in the room even though this is Kona and almost every legacy SPG or legacy Marriott property in Hawaii has Kona or Kona blend coffee, despite national or international hotel brand standards.nAnd despite the hotel owners (Prince) being Japanese, they don't have the wonderful Toto toilets. Instead, they have installed a (presumably) cheaper Brondell contraption.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
The property has opened and a stay report has been posted, which is now the property master thread. It can be found here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1925440-hapuna-beach-westin-resort-waimea-big-island-hawaii-master-thread.html

-AZ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.