Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation]

Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation]

Old Feb 26, 18, 12:27 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MP 1K,Bonvoy Tit, LTG
Thanks William. As I said it wasn't a large amount and I only raised it with respect to providing a data point for another poster's question about the training of associates with regards to the SPG program.. I appreciate your very speedy reply though.
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:18 pm

Programs: Several...
Anyone seen any recent (within the last two weeks) photographs of Hapuna?
Old Feb 28, 18, 7:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Explorist; QR Gold
Will the total renovation be completed by september?

thank you
Old Mar 1, 18, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident View Post
Will the total renovation be completed by september?

thank you
I'm going in August so it better be!
Old Mar 1, 18, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by soliloquy View Post
Anyone seen any recent (within the last two weeks) photographs of Hapuna?
From a lunch visit on 20 February. Public areas only I'm afraid.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmbFFvYs
Old Mar 1, 18, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Can you walk from here to the Mauna Kea?

Is the area around this hotel nice and quiet? Trying to figure out my August plans. I'm planning on renting a car, but it looks like Uber is also available.
Old Mar 1, 18, 10:59 am
Suspended

I emailed the hotel asking about the resort fee. They aren't waving it during construction nor is there any discount for SPG platinums. I was told construction will be done well before my stay in August. The resort fee is $31.25 per day. Here's what they said:

In response to feedback from guests, we have eliminated several incidental charges in
favor of a daily resort charge. Resort charge rate and inclusions are subject to change.
Resort charge: $31.25 inclusive of tax per room, per night
  • Daily self-parking for 1 vehicle per room
  • Daily unlimited Internet connections per room and designated Wi-Fi spots
  • Daily two bottles of water per room
  • One Eco Shopping Bag per room per stay
  • One hour of snorkel equipment for two daily
  • One bucket of range balls daily per room
  • One time 10% discount on your choice of spa service at Hapuna Spa (up to 2 persons)
  • 20% discount on golf merchandise at Hapuna Golf Course pro shop per person daily
In my opinion, you don't get much for the resort fee. At least some other Hawaii Marriott or SPG properties include a complimentary professional photograph, GoPro camera, etc.
Old Mar 1, 18, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post

Is the area around this hotel nice and quiet? Trying to figure out my August plans. I'm planning on renting a car, but it looks like Uber is also available.
Bear in mind that we weren't staying there I would say that a car is needed, unless you want to spend all your time at the resort. Each hotel area seems to be isolated from the next, requiring a drive back to the highway to the next entrance. Not sure if you could walk from one to the other. We tried from the Hapuna Beach State Park on a spur of the moment thing ( i.e. with no advance research), couldn't figure out how to get there without wading through water around rocky points, and quickly decided to drive instead. The entrance to the Hapuna is actually on the mountain side of the highway, before taking a long loop back through the golf course to the hotel, whereas that to the Mauna Kea is on the ocean side a few hundred yards ( at least) further north.

Edit. On Google maps it looks as if it should be walkable

Last edited by Fizzer; Mar 1, 18 at 11:18 am Reason: More info
Old Mar 1, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Does anyone know how the property will recognize SPG Platinum guests? I assume (expect) best room available and some kind of other benefits (breakfast vouchers?). It's really not clear from the SPG website how the property, as it's tentatively become a Westin (March, I believe), how the staff will differentiate between SPG elites and other guests. I really hope they have this sorted out soon.

Has anyone heard anything?
Old Mar 1, 18, 11:31 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

- Is the majority of the public construction completed? Your pictures don't capture any signs of disruption (which is great!)
- Did they recognize your SPG Plat status?
- Is the Westin brand being implemented yet (any indications of when this would be happening)?
- How was your overall experience?
Fizzer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by TravelGuy35 View Post
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

- Is the majority of the public construction completed? Your pictures don't capture any signs of disruption (which is great!)
- Did they recognize your SPG Plat status?
- Is the Westin brand being implemented yet (any indications of when this would be happening)?
- How was your overall experience?
I didn't stay but just stopped by for lunch. Other than a few workmen I saw few signs of construction. One wing did seem to be undergoing a ful scale reno, with what looked like window panes out, although it could have been corridors rather than rooms. Hard to tell from the bar restaurant area. It seems that we lucked out because a TA review from someone who had stayed there until a day or two before had complained about construction.
No Plat status as not a guest. Staff I interacted with were friendly but weren't familiar with SPG Program. However, I'm not sure how long the bar had even been open so could be a new hire.
TravelGuy35 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
My wife and I stayed at the Mauna Kea last fall and we were able to walk between there and the Hapuna Beach Resort. There's a slightly rugged trail that runs along the shoreline between the two properties. When you get close to the MK the trail takes you alongside the golf course near the green that juts out toward the shore. From there you can head north and get to the beach at the MK. Bring water for the journey - there's not much shade along the trail. There are some great views and interesting lava formations along the way, so it's worth the hike.

Generally pretty quiet, and not much within walking distance in terms of restaurants, shops, etc. I always recommend a rental car for the Big Island because the really great sights/attractions are far flung.
Old Mar 1, 18, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post
My wife and I stayed at the Mauna Kea last fall and we were able to walk between there and the Hapuna Beach Resort. There's a slightly rugged trail that runs along the shoreline between the two properties. When you get close to the MK the trail takes you alongside the golf course near the green that juts out toward the shore. From there you can head north and get to the beach at the MK. Bring water for the journey - there's not much shade along the trail. There are some great views and interesting lava formations along the way, so it's worth the hike.

Generally pretty quiet, and not much within walking distance in terms of restaurants, shops, etc. I always recommend a rental car for the Big Island because the really great sights/attractions are far flung.
How far of drive would it be to civilization, like an ABC store or restaurants?
TravelGuy35 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 18, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, SPG, WoH
Y
10 minutes to Kawaihae. No ABC, but similar local store, Shave Ice, Kohala Burger & Taco, Cafe Pesto; all finest kind.
Old Mar 1, 18, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BOSOGG View Post
Y

10 minutes to Kawaihae. No ABC, but similar local store, Shave Ice, Kohala Burger & Taco, Cafe Pesto; all finest kind.
You can also head south about 10 minutes to Waikoloa for additional stores and restaurants.

Search this Thread