Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How is a Westin different to a Sheraton Grand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Some

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm a reasonably new convert to SPG (unfortunate timing given the merger, I know!). How *exactly* is a Westin different to a Sheraton Grand?

Historically, I get that Westins have generally been a bit newer/more up-to-date and slightly more upmarket than Sheratons, but with the most upmarket Sheratons now becoming Sheraton Grands I'm finding that I can't tell which is meant to be the more premium hotel in places that have both. Is a Westin still in general meant to be more expensive per night than a Sheraton Grand?

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Feb 26, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
How *exactly* is a Westin different to a Sheraton Grand?
Every hotel is different, and Starwood considers brand standards to be a trade sevret, so there is no good answer to this.

Is a Westin still in general meant to be more expensive per night than a Sheraton Grand?
I wouldn't say that any brand is meant to be more expensive than any other.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm a reasonably new convert to SPG (unfortunate timing given the merger, I know!). How *exactly* is a Westin different to a Sheraton Grand?

Historically, I get that Westins have generally been a bit newer/more up-to-date and slightly more upmarket than Sheratons, but with the most upmarket Sheratons now becoming Sheraton Grands I'm finding that I can't tell which is meant to be the more premium hotel in places that have both. Is a Westin still in general meant to be more expensive per night than a Sheraton Grand?
this may provide some background
Sheraton Grand Hotels - new designation
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Every hotel is different, and Starwood considers brand standards to be a trade sevret, so there is no good answer to this.

I wouldn't say that any brand is meant to be more expensive than any other.
Thanks.

Perhaps neither a Sheraton Grand or a Westin is meant to be more upmarket than the other, but this is surely not true for all SPG hotel brands in general. A St. Regis is always going to be targeted at a higher price point than a Sheraton in the same location.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Rates within individual hotels can be highly variable due to yield management, so it can be difficult to see whether a given hotel is more expensive than another one on average.

My impression is that Sheraton Grand is likely to be a large (often convention but upscale) hotel (for example, Chicago) while most Westins are smaller (although Atlanta is a counter example and is also a convention property).

The obvious difference (again, not consistently) is style, with Westins meant to be relaxing with an almost spa like atmosphere and often green/cream/taupe colors.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The obvious difference (again, not consistently) is style, with Westins meant to be relaxing with an almost spa like atmosphere and often green/cream/taupe colors.
This reflects the Westin core ethos of 'wellness' (see here) and they have a more contemporary feel.

Sheraton Grands tend to have a more traditional/classic feel, and normally have a 'signiature' restaurant, high-end spa, and are the buildings frequently have more architectural heritage and character than Westin.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
OP, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this otherwise you'll never be able to cope when they merge Starwood's 11 brands with Marriott's 19 brands.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Westins overseas are engaged with local artists and have local music playing in the lifts. They're distinctly French boutique, and generally somewhat interesting, if not always perfect.

In the US they seem to be more about health, with superfood nonsense on room service and of course the omnipresent green leaf soap and the Westin perfume.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Westins overseas are engaged with local artists and have local music playing in the lifts. They're distinctly French boutique, and generally somewhat interesting, if not always perfect.
Say what? I must just not be staying at the right Westins.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Almost all Westins I've seen overseas have a little sign in the lift where it highlights the local music they're playing, Barcelona was the last place I saw it. There's usually at least a plaque elsewhere explaining the art, and sometimes they've got exhibitions or galleries (like Siem Reap, from memory).
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:47 pm

Given your stated location of 'In the air', where is 'overseas' exactly ?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Given your stated location of 'In the air', where is 'overseas' exactly ?
I've adopted Flyertalk slang of "foreign" and "overseas" being not American, despite not having anything to do with the US myself.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:10 pm

I've adopted Flyertalk slang of "foreign" and "overseas" being not American
In the FT Hicksville forum maybe, but not usually here. SPG Forum members seem to appreciate we're a cosmopolitan, global community ....
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:44 pm

Let's call it non-North American then.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Almost all Westins I've seen overseas have a little sign in the lift where it highlights the local music they're playing, Barcelona was the last place I saw it. There's usually at least a plaque elsewhere explaining the art, and sometimes they've got exhibitions or galleries (like Siem Reap, from memory).
I think you are confusing the Westin with the Le Méridien brand. They are the one with an art program, and a hotel in Barcelona...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.