Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London - SPG or Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm also curious for recommendations on the best SPG in London. Budget around 400eur per night.
Proximity to Soho neighbourhood and good treatment of Gold members preferred!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by vd0t
I'm also curious for recommendations on the best SPG in London. Budget around 400eur per night.
Proximity to Soho neighbourhood and good treatment of Gold members preferred!
The Le Meridien Piccadilly and W Leicester Square are adjacent to (but not actually in) Soho, and you should be able to find rooms at most times within that price range. The W is a little closer to Soho, as it's right on Wardour Street and just a block south of Shaftesbury Ave., which is essentially the southern border of Soho.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
These look reasonably close to where I'd like to stay:

Cat 6:
W London - Leicester Square
Le Méridien Piccadilly
The Westbury, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Mayfair-London
Sheraton Grand London Park Lane
The Park Tower Knightsbridge, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London

Cat 7:
The Wellesley Knightsbridge, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London

Of the Cat 6, any standouts?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've seen the Marriott Maida Vale for under 150 pounds per night, including 10,000 bonus points.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've seen the Marriott Maida Vale for under 150 pounds per night, including 10,000 bonus points.
He's got a budget of 400 & wants to be close to Soho. Maida Vale isn't close to Soho. On the SPG side the W meets his criteria. On the Marriott side Edition does, but gold bennies are non-existent at Edition.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
He's got a budget of 400 & wants to be close to Soho. Maida Vale isn't close to Soho. On the SPG side the W meets his criteria. On the Marriott side Edition does, but gold bennies are non-existent at Edition.

Cheers.
I never said it was close. But it's a heck of a deal.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I am generally a fan of SPG, but not in London.
Agreed...but that isn't what the OP is asking! But it is worth reiterating your point that there can be some excellent non-SPG and non-MR properties worth consideration for the right price point. But that usually is sufficiently frustrating for a surprisingly large proportion of those who typically are loyal to SPG or MR programs and who enjoy the SPG/MR ease of search. I think it's easier when the search is more upscale/luxury-based and therefore less broad.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
It pains me to say this, but MR can be a better value in London if using points: a lot of the high-end MR properties are 45K of their points, which is 15K SPG points.

I still love the Sheraton Grand, but not for 20K SPG points/night.

Great Northern is a gem in the SPG program and worth the smaller rooms if you are coming or going via Eurostar.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
If money were not a concern, which Starwood or Marriott property in London would be best for a tourist? Or are the non-Starwood/ Marriott options better like Rosewood? I stayed at Langham last time which was quite nice except the rooms were tiny. I'd prefer to stay at a SPG/ Marriott whenever possible if the QC good enough but can branch out (hence PDG over 4S in Paris but Peninsula over Sheraton in HK). Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
We’re just back from London and Paris.

I really struggled with where to stay and went back and forth looking at all SPG and Marriott options. Traveling with a kid limited our options as some properties either wouldn’t allow us to book a room for 3 or the additional cost was exorbitant. We were settled on Marriott India Quay for quite a while, but not very excited about the location. In the end, we did something we’ve almost never done...VRBO. I realize that’s blasphemous in this forum, but I just didn’t feel I could get the right combo of location, quality, and value from either for our family using either hotel chain. Even then, we were quite a bit over OP’s budget, but it might be worth it to look at non-SPG/Marriott options.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by SHLTP
If money were not a concern, which Starwood or Marriott property in London would be best for a tourist? Or are the non-Starwood/ Marriott options better like Rosewood? I stayed at Langham last time which was quite nice except the rooms were tiny. I'd prefer to stay at a SPG/ Marriott whenever possible if the QC good enough but can branch out (hence PDG over 4S in Paris but Peninsula over Sheraton in HK). Thanks.
Hi there! I think you know me well enough to know how much I love to stay in luxury options within SPG whenever possible, especially when the best SPG luxury options are comparable if not quite equal to the best luxury options in any locale.

But London isn't one of the best cities for SPG luxury IMO. There's just no PdG or Imperial option like there is in Paris or Vienna. And Marriott options are worse.

I have now stayed most recently at the Park Tower Knightsbridge, which I despised, and the London Edition, which was fine but basically just a W dressed in slightly different dress to me. But neither struck me as particularly luxurious.

I have not yet had the chance to check out the new Wellesley LC in Knightsbridge, but some seem to like it while others do not. My assumption--based on the reviews here on FT--is that if you pay for a more expensive room there, you will get a luxurious experience, but not necessarily otherwise. So if money weren't a concern, I'd pay for the top accommodation there and enjoy!

I leave it to you to decide if the Wellesley can suit your tastes and budget.

If not. I also highly recommend considering the Halkin by COMO, a more boutique luxury hotel in a location I love (just a block or so from the former St Regis Lanesborough). The Halkin rooms and higher are quite spacious, and the Belgravia Suites are truly lovely. If you can get a deal, the COMO Suites are also very spacious (especially the ones on the top floor with balcony!). You also often can find Halkin Belgravia Suites on auction for 3-4 night stays on the Andrew Harper website if you check--at really great rates. The Halkin is one of my favorite hotels in the city, but there is no pool/spa, FYI.

If you really want to go for broke in London, most on the Luxury Forum will recommend now one of the Connaught (mix of traditional and modern, amazing service), the Lanesborough (very traditional, great spa), the Bulgari (very modern and chic, great food/beverage), and the Beaumont (very Art Deco like SPG Luxury Collection, amazing bar, but small spa/pool).

I admit the Beaumont sounds right up my alley...but it's hard for me to justify spending more when I love the Halkin!
Epicura likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 13, 2018 at 5:23 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:20 pm

Thank you for the kind recommendations. INdeed I always choose SPG if I can too but it seems the choices in london are lacking. So I might go with what you suggest. I had never heard of the property so thanks for flagging it for me as a good one.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hi there! I think you know me well enough to know how much I love to stay in luxury options within SPG whenever possible, especially when the best SPG luxury options are comparable if not quite equal to the best luxury options in any locale.

But London isn't one of the best cities for SPG luxury IMO. There's just no PdG or Imperial option like there is in Paris or Vienna.

I have now stayed most recently at the Park Tower Knightsbridge, which I despised, and the London Edition, which was fine. But neither struck me as particularly luxurious. I have not yet had the chance to check out the new Wellesley in Knightsbridge, but some seem to like it while others do not. My assumption--based on the reviews here on FT--is that if you pay for a more expensive room there, you will get a luxurious experience, but not necessarily otherwise. So if money weren't a concern, I'd pay for the top accommodation there and enjoy!

I leave it to you to decide if the Wellesley can suit your tastes and budget.

If not. I also highly recommend considering the Halkin by COMO, a more boutique luxury hotel in a location I love (just a block or so from the former St Regis Lanesborough). The Halkin rooms and higher are quite spacious, and the Belgravia Suites are truly lovely. If you can get a deal, the COMO Suites are also very spacious (especially the ones on the top floor with balcony!). You also often can find Halkin Belgravia Suites on auction for 3-4 night stays on the Andrew Harper website if you check--at really great rates. The Halkin is one of my favorite hotels in the city, but there is no pool/spa, FYI.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:26 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Thank you for the kind recommendations. INdeed I always choose SPG if I can too but it seems the choices in london are lacking. So I might go with what you suggest. I had never heard of the property so thanks for flagging it for me as a good one.
Glad to help. I edited and added this while you were responding, so these may also be other options for you to consider. For me, the Beaumont and Bulgari actually sound the most appealing...

If you really want to go for broke in London, most on the Luxury Forum will recommend now one of the Connaught (mix of traditional and modern, amazing service), the Lanesborough (very traditional, great spa), the Bulgari (very modern and chic, great food/beverage), and the Beaumont (very Art Deco like SPG Luxury Collection, amazing bar, but small spa/pool).

I admit the Beaumont sounds right up my alley...but it's hard for me to justify spending more when I love the Halkin!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:55 am

In addition to @bhrubin wonderful suggestions: you also might have a look at LHW properties in London. I am an SPG Plat 50 since several years but never even stayed at an SPG property in London. With the recent addition of the Wellesley that might change but so far we've done FS, Rosewood, and Café Royal.

I mainly focus on LHW properties these days when in London and for my upcoming trip we will be at RF Brown's hotel.

For all these non-SPG luxury options, do yourself a favor and send a PM to @Dorsia . She's a UK/London TA who even used to work in two of the mentioned hotels. Like many over here I always try to maximize status, perks and benefits. When there's no SPG (to my liking) I try to get benefits via either LHW and/or via a good TA with added value. She certainly has!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:57 am

Thank you. I have heard very good things about Rosewood there.

Originally Posted by Epicura
In addition to @bhrubin wonderful suggestions: you also might have a look at LHW properties in London. I am an SPG Plat 50 since several years but never even stayed at an SPG property in London. With the recent addition of the Wellesley that might change but so far we've done FS, Rosewood, and Café Royal.

I mainly focus on LHW properties these days when in London and for my upcoming trip we will be at RF Brown's hotel.

For all these non-SPG luxury options, do yourself a favor and send a PM to @Dorsia . She's a UK/London TA who even used to work in two of the mentioned hotels. Like many over here I always try to maximize status, perks and benefits. When there's no SPG to my liking (or there are much better hotels) I try to get benefits via either LHW and/or via a good TA with added value. She certainly has!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.