Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2017: Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public. SPG will deny member only rates from 3rd party websites.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG
• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using any other category of room - if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will be modified to match the room type you are claiming for
• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved. There are a few exceptions where properties impose stricter cancellation term based on competing rates.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.
• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities that are included in the external website's rate but which are not included in the Starwood rate may or may not be provided.
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    Differing currencies
    • "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
    https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
    • Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
    • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to view your reservation after BRG has been approved
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.
    • Click on your stays to view your current reservation
    • Click on "Set Stay Preferences", then SAVE
    • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How to cancel a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE
• reload the page and you should now be able to cancel the reservation

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE
• reload the page and you should now be able to select "apply SNA to this stay" link

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Company Room Provider:
Other Company Room Provider:
Competing rate:
Comments:

Q: Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?
A: Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2017: Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kodansha999
if the lower rates is nett inclusive of taxes, do you enter such rate in the claim form or do the calculation and enter the price before taxes?
I always precalculate and put the detailed calculations in the comments section.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:21 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Really disappointed with the abilities of the BRG team. Each time I reply back they seem to ignore all the previous chain emails or misread those emails causing greater confusion.

I've been trying to get some bonus points posted and it's been going back and forth regarding when did I stay at what hotel. I'm also having the 'same geographic location' BS as well.

Originally the inquiries were about bonus points in New Delhi. I had BRGs three and the hotels were 10 miles from each other. If they threw the book at me then it's fine and I'm at least eligible for one night. First email I get back suggests that I didn't even stay at the New Delhi hotels. Which I suggested otherwise and asked if the foilos would help.

Second email completely misses the point my of my reply where I was trying to clarify that I did stay at the New Delhi hotels and instead makes the argument about the 'same geographic location'. Which I make argument regarding distances and defining geographic location on arbitrary boundaries. i.e. Four Points Downtown Manhattan -> Aloft NY Brooklyn, 2.7mi/4.3km, by definition they're not in the same geographic location, same with Four Points Manhattan SoHo Village to Westin Jersey City, 3.4mi/5.5km, completely different states yet closer in distance than any of my hotel stays and would qualify.

Third email was the worse. Doesn't even address my concerns regarding New Delhi and instead immediately suggests that bonus points for my stays at Jaipur are a mistake. I'm really over shooting emails back and forth just for the next CSR to misread the previous chain emails.

Would picking up the phone help? I only rack up 15 stays or so a year and I'm sure I'm not as important as some plats but come on. At least try to follow the chain of emails.

Also as an example my hometown of Sydney stretches 60km across. Does this mean they're all in the same geographic location given arbitrary city boundaries and the lack of clarity on SPGs behalf regarding 'same geographic location'? I could stay the Westin and if SPG had a hotel in Penrith, being almost 57km and 35mi apart, they would still be considered in Sydney. How close to too close for it to be the same.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I have a 2 night stay coming up: first night it's a BRG (with 2k pts), and second night I booked a Hot Escapes rate.

Considering what I have read here, that if 2 consucutive nights have different types of rates attached to them, they are not merged. Could I expect this to count as 2 separate stays (for purposes of the Q1 promo)?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:20 am

Hotel Name: The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Dates: Feb 2017
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Premium Room with Partial Ocean View
Starwood Web Site Rate: 1071 MYR
Competing Website: Kayak.de
Competing rate: 206 EUR (~= 975 MYR)
BRG Reward: 20%
Actual confirmed rate: 786 MYR
Comments: Success on second try, had to actually cancel because of change in travel plans
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by RafKa
I have a 2 night stay coming up: first night it's a BRG (with 2k pts), and second night I booked a Hot Escapes rate.

Considering what I have read here, that if 2 consucutive nights have different types of rates attached to them, they are not merged. Could I expect this to count as 2 separate stays (for purposes of the Q1 promo)?
By right of law, they can also merge it if they wanted to.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles
Westin Coral Beach

Hotel: Westin Coral Beach
Dates: Mar 28-April 1/17
# of Rooms: 1
# of guests: 2
Room Type: Traditional double
Starwood rate: $544 CAD
Competing rate:245 CAD
BRG: 20%
confirmed rate 137 USD + tax
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Hotel Name: W Amsterdam
Dates: 15-18 February 2017
Room Type: Cosy Room
Actual Rate: EUR172 ++
Comments: I think this was my 5th or 6th BRG attempt for this property as I really wanted to stay there. It's either karma/fate/co-incidence because I had just booked another competing hotel (was going to give up after this final attempt) and then this BRG was approved and I ended up cancelling the other property.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Comments: I think this was my 5th or 6th BRG attempt for this property as I really wanted to stay there. It's either karma/fate/co-incidence because I had just booked another competing hotel (was going to give up after this final attempt) and then this BRG was approved and I ended up cancelling the other property.
That's a nice find! Which competing website did you find the deal on?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Congrats Alan!

Told ya eventually itll happen When it comes to BRG, persistence always pays and even if an OTA doesnt have a BRGable rate now, i always check everyday as tomorrow it may happen.

Also a tip, you get higher chances right after SPG escapes as some property revenue management may be slow on switching some OTA rates to regular rates.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: SPG, Asia Miles, Skypass
Hotel Name: Ovolo Southside, Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™
Arrival Date: Saturday, Feb 11, 2017
Departure Date: Sunday, Feb 12, 2017
Room Type: Mini Room
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: HKD 850.0 excluding 10% service charge (no sales tax in Hong Kong)
Competing rate: HKD655.45 excluding 10% service charge
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by supatight80
Congrats Alan!

Told ya eventually itll happen When it comes to BRG, persistence always pays and even if an OTA doesnt have a BRGable rate now, i always check everyday as tomorrow it may happen.

Also a tip, you get higher chances right after SPG escapes as some property revenue management may be slow on switching some OTA rates to regular rates.
Yes, great find.
Can't get it to price for a saturday-sunday night unfortunately. O well...must book 2 nights then want to make use of my last days as Plat. :-:
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy AMB/LTE , Diamond HH, SEN LH
Originally Posted by kkyy
Hotel Name: The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Room Type: Premium Room with Partial Ocean View
Starwood Web Site Rate: 1071 MYR
Competing Website: Kayak.de
Competing rate: 206 EUR (~= 975 MYR)
BRG Reward: 20%
Actual confirmed rate: 786 MYR
Comments: Success on second try, had to actually cancel because of change in travel plans
Not bad.
But this is my booking

Arrival Date: February 2017
Number of Rooms:1
Number of Guests:2
Room Type: Superior Double Room excluding breakfast
Starwood Website Rate: 1323,22 MYR
Competing Website : montigo-hotels.com
Actual confirmed rate: MYR436.68 including 10% taxes and excluding local charges of MYR 5 per room per night.

Last edited by Eastside; Jan 17, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Can you apply a coupon code at an OTA to find a lower rate for BRG purposes? Found a lower rate for a design hotel, but wanted to check before I pull the trigger.

Apologies if this has been answered, but can't seem to find info on it.

Edit: nvm found the answer in the BRG t&cs - answer is no

Last edited by OriginalName; Jan 19, 2017 at 1:24 am
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Hotel Name: Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur
Room Type: Superior room with breakfast
Starwood Web Site Rate: 495 MYR
Competing Website: Trivago.com
Competing rate: 352 MYR
BRG Reward: 2000 points
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Hotel Name: Le Meridien Heliopolis, Cairo
Dates: January 2017
Number of Adults: 2
Room Type: Deluxe
Starwood Rate: 132 USD
Competing Website: the usual one...
Competing rate: 83 USD
BRG Reward: 2K Points

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.