Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Repeatedly charged in full ($845) for points booking (points already taken)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Sheraton Pentagon City.

Called a couple weeks ago to check award availability for 1/18/2017. Rates are high because of inauguration, but I need three rooms that night for something else so seems like a great use of points. Property wanted $249+/night per room, wasn't offering any award rooms, even on (available) standard rooms because "special event."

Called SPG, agent (of her own volition) got a supervisor on the line, who called the property, told me that the property "didn't want to" give out award bookings so they'd have to "override" it by setting up a booking that would appear to be a cash booking at first, but the points would be deducted right away, and the revenue manager at the property would adjust everything in the morning. The points were indeed deducted while I was on the phone, I asked to ensure that I wouldn't be charged anything, supervisor confirmed. Got email confirmations for all three rooms; good to go.

12/21, I was charged $281.xx times 3 ($845.xx total). Called SPG, asked for supervisor, supervisor called property, apologized profusely for the error, agreed with me that the charges were unauthorized and had them refunded on the spot. To their credit, they were, and the refund was posted to my Amex by 12/23.

12/24, charged again. Same amount. Same calls, same thing happened. Annoyed, but supervisor was very apologetic. Refund posted 12/26.

12/27, charged yet again. The same $845. Can you imagine? Called again 12/28. Asked for a supervisor. He said the same thing the others said, "oh the property has it set up wrong, it thinks it's a cash booking, so it wants to charge you. I'll open a file, contact the property..." I asked what would be different this time. He said he'd document it better and open a customer service file. Okay.

I don't have the availability to call the property during business hours this week, so I've been calling SPG, and I prefer to call SPG anyhow, but I'm more than a little peeved.

In case it matters, my reservations all show online as this:

Rate Description: Spg Award/category 3 Rate Is Valid For Single Or Double Occupancy. Additional Person And Bedding Charges May Apply.

Total Starpoints Redeemed: 7,000
Cancellation Policy:
The time for canceling without penalty has passed. If you cancel, the forfeiture amount will be USD 44.25. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.
Rate Plan Description:
Spg Free Nights. Rate Is Valid For Single Or Double Occupancy. Additional Person And Bedding Charges May Apply.
Age Requirement PolicyGuests must be 21 years or older with photo identification to reserve a room.
GTD/Deposit Policy:
USD 50.11 deposit is due on Thu, 29 Dec 2016 and will be charged to the credit card provided.
Please note that any change in your reservation may change the rate and/or require payment of cancellation fees.

I don't know what the $44/50 per night is about (presumably taxes-ish), but if it were just that I wouldn't care so much and would just deal with it at the property (we may spend that much in incidentals, parking, whatever). But I pay my Amex bill on time and would have to pay this bill before the stay, and that's not something I should have to do.

Any advice on how to resolve this would be appreciated. Also just posting as a data point (for eventual removal to the Property's thread, presumably).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.