Wiki Posts
Search

Priceline BRG frustrations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: None - previously UA
Priceline BRG frustrations

So I am seeing cheap rates (20-25% cheaper than Starwood) on Priceline that I am basically not able to file a BRG claim against. If you search for a particular date you see a message "cheaper rate may be available if you sign in, and then once I have signed in - Escapefromphl, you saved $60 per night by signing in! It's only available on my desktop and I've also noticed it doesn't give me the low price if I turn privacy options on.

Anyone had any success filing BRG claims against these rates?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
So I am seeing cheap rates (20-25% cheaper than Starwood) on Priceline that I am basically not able to file a BRG claim against. If you search for a particular date you see a message "cheaper rate may be available if you sign in, and then once I have signed in - Escapefromphl, you saved $60 per night by signing in! It's only available on my desktop and I've also noticed it doesn't give me the low price if I turn privacy options on.

Pretty sure that won't work. BRG is only against publicly available rates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...thread-67.html
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
Pretty sure that won't work. BRG is only against publicly available rates.
So what's not public about them, they are available and advertised to anyone you just need to sign in? They aren't targeting me in particular anyone can make a Priceline account.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

Perhaps something in this thread my help: SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2016 : Success, failure & discussion thread
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Perhaps something in this thread my help:
I'm more concerned that this method Priceline has come up with will spread rendering BRG useless.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Nov 16, 2016 at 6:04 am
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what's not public about them, they are available and advertised to anyone you just need to sign in? They aren't targeting me in particular anyone can make a Priceline account.
How do you know it is available to anyone? or available to everyone at the same rate? I will be happy to check if you post date and property.

I'm more concerned that this method Priceline has come up with will spread rendering BRG useless.
So this is a complaint against Priceline?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:25 am
Original Poster

How do you know it is available to anyone? or available to everyone at the same rate? I will be happy to check if you post date and property.
Aloft Scottsdale, 16-19 march.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aloft Scottsdale, 16-19 march.
You are right.

SPG.COM - Prepaid $299, SPG member exclusive $284.

Priceline.com - $299.10 public, $239 logged in.

I suspect BRG team will claim this is a membership rate. Have you tried it?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks - just a request : if you're going to refer an OP to a monster thread, it would be so much more helpful if you could point them to specific posts in the thread, or the thread wiki, where you know there is some information that is directly relevant to their question. Thanks.

/mod team
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:37 am
Original Poster

I suspect BRG team will claim this is a membership rate. Have you tried it?
Despite my instructions to log in, they rejected saying they couldn't see rate. I have replied with instructions and a screenshot.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Despite my instructions to log in, they rejected saying they couldn't see rate. I have replied with instructions and a screenshot.
Considering you HAVE TO LOG IN I doubt they will accept it. Since you NEED to have a account to log in to see the cheaper rate it is not publicly available... catch 22

It sucks for sure but those are the rule.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kauppias
Considering you HAVE TO LOG IN I doubt they will accept it. Since you NEED to have a account to log in to see the cheaper rate it is not publicly available... catch 22

It sucks for sure but those are the rule.
Yeah they say that it's available, "A lower rate is available if you log in", so it's really publicly available, and any member of the public can create an account. Not really a vallid reason to deny a claim, IMO
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:09 am
Original Poster

So I'm going to admit defeat on this one. The BRG agents say they have logged in to Priceline and just don't see the rate, no reason not to believe them. It's still there for me.

From the hotels viewpoint what is the logic of selling non opaque rooms at $239 through Priceline and $284 through SPG? They just assume they are reaching different markets?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
From the hotels viewpoint what is the logic of selling non opaque rooms at $239 through Priceline and $284 through SPG? They just assume they are reaching different markets?
Yes, different markets. They are going after price-conscious people who would have not otherwise stayed at the hotel for the full $284 rate, and who are okay to pay less, with no access to benefits.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah they say that it's available, "A lower rate is available if you log in", so it's really publicly available, and any member of the public can create an account. Not really a vallid reason to deny a claim, IMO
Actually it may not be publicly available.

I did a test by creating a new Priceline account and lower rate doesn't show up. It only shows up if I use my existing account. I suspect Priceline only shows lower rate for active accounts with previous bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.