Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about AARP/Senior rate

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Question Question about AARP/Senior rate

I'm not senior but my father is. If I'm going with him and book one room, can I book AARP/Senior rate? Thank you.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes if father stays in the room. However, note that senior rates are based on age while AARP requires a membership card. They're not the same requirements and aren't interchangeable.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Wondering if the senior/AARP person has to be the one making the reservation?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes if father stays in the room. However, note that senior rates are based on age while AARP requires a membership card. They're not the same requirements and aren't interchangeable.
Generic question on your first part in answer to the OP.

If the father isn't the one booking the room (ie, the person who qualifies for the rate), is it extended to the person booking the rate if s/he doesn't qualify for senior rate? Most other rates (non senior related) aren't extended based on the guest's status. FWIW - if the OP & his dad show up together I have confidence that the rate would be honored, but do think it's an interesting question.

Re: the latter part of your post, I agree & most people don't realize. Senior rate & AARP are not the same.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jalves
Wondering if the senior/AARP person has to be the one making the reservation?
Not in my experience.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Are other rates (non senior related) extended based on the guest's status?
Usually, but I've found it to be property-dependent.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not in my experience.

Usually, but I've found it to be property-dependent.
That's anecdotal (which to a certain degree is fair), but what do the T&Cs say on both?

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That's anecdotal (which to a certain degree is fair), but what do the T&Cs say on both?
To me, anecdotal trumps T&C every time. They're also not definitive, which is why it's property-dependent.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
To me, anecdotal trumps T&C every time. They're also not definitive, which is why it's property-dependent.
Your sentences contradict each other

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:19 pm

Your sentences contradict each other
In what way? I find them 100% consistent and accurate.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks MSPeconomist.
I also got confirmation from customer support, it's exact as you said.
I have updated my reservation to take advantage AARP/Senior rate. I like it's cheaper and flexible to cancel or make change.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Senior rates will vary in age from program to program and maybe even property to property. Fortunately AARP is not age dependent. Although they do seem to know the day you turn 50 and able to get that mail delivered then, household members can also sign up at any age. But always read the rate details to see how many rules they put on it and don't stop just because you see AARP.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen overseas hotels offer special rates for retired people. These seem like senior rates that are also available for retirees with government cards from the home country.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Ime, some hotels (predominantly in the US) will offer AARP rates, which are contingent on membership (rather than age). Elsewhere, you have to be 50, 62, 65, or whatever age they stipulate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.