Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Is there an alcohol ban in Starwood properties in Thailand? - Answer: NO

Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

With the passing of their King today, Thailand has imposed a 30-day ban on alcohol sales throughout the country.

Does anyone know if this affects Starwood properties? On-premise bars and restaurants that sell alcohol are one thing, but what about the executive lounges that offer free drinks during happy hour?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Do you have a source for this information?

My contacts locally are saying there is still a lot of confusion regarding the sale of alcohol/opening of bars/clubs etc.

I know some bars that cater for Thais will be closing for 30 days but I am hearing Tourist orientated businesses will observe a shorter period of mourning.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:54 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by macabus
With the passing of their King today, Thailand has imposed a 30-day ban on alcohol sales throughout the country.

Does anyone know if this affects Starwood properties? On-premise bars and restaurants that sell alcohol are one thing, but what about the executive lounges that offer free drinks during happy hour?
Yes and yes (if so).

We stayed at the StR BKK on election day. Alcohol was banned in all public areas. We wanted to eat and were the only people in the bar.

They did, however, offer alcohol via room service.

As such I would expect club lounges to not serve alcohol.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2016/10/14/whats-canceled-closed-open-bangkok-mourning-period/

Information for anyone who will there this period.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:43 am

There is no restriction on the sale of alcohol ( other than for Buddhist Lent, October 16th, unrelated to the death of HM plus the usual afternoon bans). There is a request for bars to provide less exuberant entertainment.
The mood in Bangkok is extremely sombre, as expected. Virtually everyone is wearing black.
I think it extremely unlikely that there would be any constraints on hotel lounges.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
A FTer who lives in Thailand emailed me saying the same thing as paolo64 - ie, no restriction on the sale of alcohol. He subsequently emailed me this (realize it's not SPG, but assuming SPG properties will be similar): "I'm at Pattaya Marriott since yesterday and happy hour in full force last night and bar open at 10am today."

Also, the OP posted the exact same question in the Marriott forum.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 14, 2016 at 2:49 am Reason: add the info about Pattaya Marriott
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
If you're in Thailand the next 30 days it looks like it's time to head to the beaches for scuba and relax
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
On Election Day, to avoid the alcohol public ban, the SGS opened a reception room to serve the drinks and canapes to SPG Platinum members and, I guess, Club level guests. Consequently, it became a 'private' affair.

On an earlier Election day, the LMBKK had opened the Grande Avantgarde Suite for the Creative Hour.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UASPG
On Election Day, to avoid the alcohol public ban, the SGS opened a reception room to serve the drinks and canapes to SPG Platinum members and, I guess, Club level guests. Consequently, it became a 'private' affair.

On an earlier Election day, the LMBKK had opened the Grande Avantgarde Suite for the Creative Hour.
I assume the problem was that the regular library for Plats is too open with the public being to see what's happening there on the way to the adjacent restaurant. A private function room would have solid doors.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Certainly not much change in alcohol consumption around patong Phuket area at the moment. Also still serving alcohol on phi phi island.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Dominic14
Certainly not much change in alcohol consumption around patong Phuket area at the moment. Also still serving alcohol on phi phi island.
My friend was in the Patong area last night and said almost all the bars were closed.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
The St Regis served me a martini yesterday [14th] during their evening Platinum reception. Movie theaters and entertainment areas were closed.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Dominic14
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
My friend was in the Patong area last night and said almost all the bars were closed.
IME, if a bar is "owned" by the police, it can operate with impunity when others are closed.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: SQ TPP
Up to you

There is no solid requirement to stop selling alcohol, apart from today (Sunday) because it is a Buddhist holiday.

People have been asked not to hold joyous events - hence some entertainment areas and venues have been closed. Their closure however is not by law, but because the owners have decided to. Entirely at the discretion of the establishment. (Again apart from today regarding alcohol). I don't think they will be closed for the full 30 days.

That being said, there is definitely a muted vibe in Bangkok, bands not playing, no loud music or celebrations. I was in ChiangMai yesterday also & there seemed to be less of an impact, although it is a more chilled out place to begin with.

Hotel lounges still serve alcohol today because they are private (as with the changes mentioned for these holidays at SGS)
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: BONVOY Lifetime Platinum , Ay Platinum, Hhonors Diamond
Originally Posted by snaffled
There is no solid requirement to stop selling alcohol, apart from today (Sunday) because it is a Buddhist holiday.

Hotel lounges still serve alcohol today because they are private (as with the changes mentioned for these holidays at SGS)
Can confirm this. No booze today in Westin Grande sukhumvit restaurants, but inside the lounge business as usual. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.