Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Wyndham Makes a 12-hr Play for Starwood Loyalty Members [UPDATE: Now CANCELLED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

I'm not sure if anyone will actually do this... but it appears Wyndham is attempting to convert SPG members to Wyndham members.

https://skift.com/2016/10/11/wyndham...yalty-members/

From the article:
"Starting today from 12 noon to 11:49 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Wyndham Rewards will allow SPG members to donate their Starpoints to charity and, in return, they will receive four times those points with Wyndham Rewards, including a status match. So, if an SPG member has 100,000 Starpoints and decides to donate those points to charity, she will receive 400,000 Wyndham Rewards points in return. SPG Gold will become Wyndham Rewards Platinum and SPG Platinum will become Wyndham Rewards Diamond."

Personally I'm going to keep my SPG points and stay loyal to SPG for now. Wyndham just doesn't have the types of aspirational portfolio I like.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Agree all the decent Wyndham properties I know of have left the brand.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Seems a bit strange that a 12 hour offer should end at 11.49pm.

Other than the article linked above, is there any other official source - Wyndham in particular - which details this offer ?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Yeah I'd take a status match. But not giving up my points sorry.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Seems a bit strange that a 12 hour offer should end at 11.49pm.

Other than the article linked above, is there any other official source - Wyndham in particular - which details this offer ?
It is official. I have had the formal press release and communications from Wyndham's long established UK agency.

Exact wording here - http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/10...-points-match/

However, only UK media outlets seem to have had this and the press release has 'London, Tuesday 11th' at the top. This could be a UK initiated venture.

Having initially written this off, I am thinking that I may get a few points so I can gift rooms in NYC etc to friends and family who always expect me to underwrite their travels ......
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:17 am

For 4,000 Starwood points a night you could stay the Wyndham New Yorker. This is not a particularly nice hotel, but still serviceable. I think donating some points is a great deal if you are targeting a New York budget trip for example and would otherwise be staying at a Four Points there.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I am thinking that I may get a few points
Originally Posted by DealAddict
donating some points
The way I read the offer, the only option is to donate your entire SPG balance, so there doesn't seem a way to convert some of it.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You could move some to Marriott first .....

However, the rules seem to forbid 'transfers' in the preceeding 24 hours. This would not exclude a redemption though ....
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:39 am

The way I read the offer, the only option is to donate your entire SPG balance, so there doesn't seem a way to convert some of it.
You could create a duplicate SPG account and ask SPG to move some of the points into it, then move the balance to Wyndham. I'm not sure if they can do this fast...but I think that's possible. They merged accounts for me over the phone and moved balances instantaneously.

Last edited by DealAddict; Oct 11, 2016 at 5:51 am
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:35 am

T&C

https://a.pgtb.me/dBfc49
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
With such a time-narrow window to do this, this effort strikes me as more publicity-seeking gimmick that a real play to pull SPG members to Wyndham.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:43 am
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
Hi everyone -

The full Terms & Conditions for the offer can be found here: https://a.pgtb.me/dBfc49.

Wyndham Alison
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DealAddict
You could create a duplicate SPG account and ask SPG to move some of the points into it, then move the balance to Wyndham. I'm not sure if they can do this fast...but I think that's possible. They merged accounts for me over the phone and moved balances instantaneously.
Unnecessary. Award night redemptions are not transfers.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Wyndham Alison
Hi everyone -

The full Terms & Conditions for the offer can be found here: https://a.pgtb.me/dBfc49.

Wyndham Alison
Hi there and welcome to the Starwood forum. ^

Just a question for you on this if I may : when SPG members log into their account and go to the "donate to charity" page (choices are Clean The World, The American Red Cross and the United Nations Childrens Fund), donations are only possible in fixed increments up to 20,000 Starpoints. There is no way to donate your 'entire balance'. How can SPG members fulfil the terms of the offer to donate their entire balance ?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:29 am

Hi there and welcome to the Starwood forum. ^

Just a question for you on this if I may : when SPG members log into their account and go to the "donate to charity" page (choices are Clean The World, The American Red Cross and the United Nations Childrens Fund), donations are only possible in fixed increments up to 20,000 Starpoints. There is no way to donate your 'entire balance'. How can SPG members fulfil the terms of the offer to donate their entire balance ?
Multiple transactions are allowed and as per T&C the remaining SPG balance is max 499 Starpoints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.