Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG members : post your Marriott stay experiences after linking your account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG members : post your Marriott stay experiences after linking your account

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kluau88
Needed a 1 night stay in Cancun before heading back to the US and the reviews of the SPG properties seemed mixed. I decided to give the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa a try as the rates were less than what was available at both the Westin properties.

I was upgraded from an Ocean View Balcony room to Premium Ocean View Balcony Room. I was initially offered 1PM checkout, but had to press for 3PM checkout.
Was there any difference between the two rooms, other than maybe a higher floor?

BTW it's a resort so much like SPG they don't owe you a late checkout technically.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: MPC DM, SPG Plat
Stayed at the JW Marriott Macau (linked accounts).
- Wonderful service by executive lounge; actually, the entire staff greeted me by name (by entire, I mean not just exec lounge)
- They upgraded me to an executive suite. I had to wait a bit but they were transparent.
- Late checkout no problem

I can't wait to go again for a mini vacation.l
Old May 15, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Was there any difference between the two rooms, other than maybe a higher floor?

BTW it's a resort so much like SPG they don't owe you a late checkout technically.
I am not sure what floor my original room was on, but i was assigned to the 6th floor and there are at least 12 floors on the property. The room I was assigned (603) was second room from the end of the hallway, which I believe was 601 and is a suite. These rooms are the closest to the beach if that makes sense. Given the layout of the hotel there are a high number of rooms with ocean views. I guess premium ocean view has a "better" view.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Just completed a great stay at Ritz-Carlton San Francisco, the only aaa 5 diamond hotel in town. It was my 4th stay with Marriott after linking accounts. (Ritz-Carlton Budapest, Marriott Hua Hin, and Ritz-Carlton South Beach)

- despite no room upgrade, i still felt my standard room was very spacious (actually it was bigger than a suite at sheraton grand los angeles) and nicely appointed.
- overall service was spotless. staffs were nice, friendly and helpful.
- hotel ground and facilities were spectacular.
- at check-in i was offered an upgrade room package that includes breakfast for 2 at parallel 37 or via room service (up to 85$) plus 50$ hotel credit toward anything per night and welcome amenity. i took it and was glad i did.
- wifi was extremely fast, almost 60 Mbps both download/upload speed.

I only wish this hotel could be more closer to Market st.

Will stay here again (if budget permits) next time im in town.

p.s. Sorry for poor english.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
- at check-in i was offered an upgrade room package that includes breakfast for 2 at parallel 37 or via room service (up to 85$) plus 50$ hotel credit toward anything per night and welcome amenity. i took it and was glad i did.
- wifi was extremely fast, almost 60 Mbps both download/upload speed.
You are presumably SPG Plat. I do not understand why you were offered an "upgrade package". I presume you are SPG Plat & the benefits you were asked to purchase (except of course the $50 hotel credit) are standard SPG Plat and presumably Marriott Elite benefits?

As for your English, I wish I could speak/write a second language as well as you....
Old May 16, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
You are presumably SPG Plat. I do not understand why you were offered an "upgrade package". I presume you are SPG Plat & the benefits you were asked to purchase (except of course the $50 hotel credit) are standard SPG Plat and presumably Marriott Elite benefits?

As for your English, I wish I could speak/write a second language as well as you....
AFAIK, at any ritz-carlton hotels&resorts, breakfast and/or club lounge access are not benefits for marriott/spg platinum member.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
AFAIK, at any ritz-carlton hotels&resorts, breakfast and/or club lounge access are not benefits for marriott/spg platinum member.
I had a quick look on the Marriott web site and could not see anything that says limited or no Plat benefits.....

Anyone else know???
Old May 16, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
I had a quick look on the Marriott web site and could not see anything that says limited or no Plat benefits.....

Anyone else know???
Lounge access and breakfast are not published benefits for elite members at Ritz Carlton properties (though exceptions occasionally happen).

Have a look about half way down the T&Cs page for the RC elite benefits:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
Old May 17, 2017, 11:14 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Had 3 more great stays at the Renaissance Providence--which has a better hard product than the old Westin (now Omni) did, and a much better soft and hard product than the current Omni.

I was upgraded to a suite for all 3 stays...but I also booked 10-20+ rooms for each stay!

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...rovidence-1958
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
SPG Gold (Amex Platinum , zero nights) matched to Marriott Gold. Stayed in Minneapolis in February, was recongized as Gold, given daily breakfast including the omelette station, and free bottled water in the room (Fiji). I think I was entitled to premium internet but I was using my smartphone for the weekend. Because the lounge is closed on weekends I was given a few drink coupons for the bar.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Ambassador, Oneworld Sapphire / BA Silver
Maybe I got lucky, but I got a great 1st Marriott stay

Originally Posted by NavyChief
I am on my first Marriott stay after linking my SPG Platinum status. And I must say...that I am totally underwhelmed. I now understand previous posts saying that Marriott Platinum is worthless. I would, sadly, have to agree at them. So much for my extreme excitement on the account linking. I'm over it now. Back to reality. And back to SPG Platinum benefits.
Good evening and greetings from Paris,

I recently stayed in Dubai, 3 nights at the JW Marriott Marquis and 3 at the Grosvenor House (luxury collection) and I had 2 remarquable experiences as a SPG Platinum (with super recent linked accounts) at both properties... without asking

At the JW Marriott Marquis, i booked the cheapest room and got a super fast check-in, an upgrade without asking to a 66 floor exec room and late check-out was a breathe.

Different topic, but then the Grosvenor House moved me from "entry level double room" to a double bedrooms apartment with marina view.. again without asking or expecting anything

I guess this is Dubai in september

Have a great evening
Sophie
bhrubin and HomerJay like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:05 pm

SPG Gold matched to Marriott Gold. Stayed 1 night at the Boscolo Exedra in Rome in May and got upgraded to a junior suite. Will be going to the RC Bali in a few months, fingers crossed!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
SPG LT PLT matched to Marriott Platinum.

JW Marriott Khao Lak (Thailand), 3 out of 3 stays in low season:

Booked janitor's closet at whatever el cheapo rate there was. Got duplex pool view (not pool access!) suite.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
As you might know, I am very loyal to Starwood (lifetime plat) and have never really liked Marriott properties. This year I have been testing some Marriotts (pretty good experience at JW Marriott HK, not a great experience at one near Boston. I forget name it was so bad).

I decided to take multi-generations to JW Marriott Phu Quoc in Vietnam. I have posted a longer review here. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28886330-post173.html

Briefly, I am absolutely blown away by the property... and the treatment of plats has been amazing. Staff has gone above and beyond what is expected. I am rarely blown away by a property but this is one of them. I have a month coming up in Starwoods in Thailand over Christmas... but I doubt they will live up to how good this JW is. I hope Marriott makes more like this... and keeps the quality of loyalty.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by SHLTP
As you might know, I am very loyal to Starwood (lifetime plat) and have never really liked Marriott properties. This year I have been testing some Marriotts (pretty good experience at JW Marriott HK, not a great experience at one near Boston. I forget name it was so bad).

I decided to take multi-generations to JW Marriott Phu Quoc in Vietnam. I have posted a longer review here. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28886330-post173.html

Briefly, I am absolutely blown away by the property... and the treatment of plats has been amazing. Staff has gone above and beyond what is expected. I am rarely blown away by a property but this is one of them. I have a month coming up in Starwoods in Thailand over Christmas... but I doubt they will live up to how good this JW is. I hope Marriott makes more like this... and keeps the quality of loyalty.
From my experience, elite treatment in Asia blows away US properties across just about all major chains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.