Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Cities where Marriott hotels are better than Starwood hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cities where Marriott hotels are better than Starwood hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:59 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you claiming that a courtyard is better than nothing?
A CY will, normally, at least protect you from the elements.

BTW, while it would be nice to have more benefits at CYs, I do tend to like them as a Plat because I can almost always get upgraded to a full suite room (by asking at check-in.) ^
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Are you claiming that a courtyard is better than nothing?
The point was that if you're in a city/town that doesn't have a SPG property, having access to a Marriott brand (whether FS Marriott or CY) is better, if one is interested in earning points/staying within the overall family. And the same would be true for Marriott elites if they're in a location w/ no Marriotts but SPG brands, whether the SPG brand be full service or limited.

Monterey has a FS Marriott and a RI
Lake Tahoe has 3 MVCIs & a Ritz
Santa Barbara has a CY (and a FS Marriott 1/2 hour away)

SPG has nothing in those areas. So whereas before a SPG elite might have to go with a different chain in those locations, now they can stay within the family.

Besides the no breakfast policy, CYs are decent choices if one is in a location where there isn't a full service property or budget doesn't allow for the full service. They're not Motel 6 properties for goodness sake. And the Asia CYs are more like full-service brands, with most having exec lounges or offering breakfast if there isn't a lounge.

Cheers.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Viva Las Vegas for sure. Cosmo
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Maybe I've been unlucky but I really don't like the Four Points brand. If you can find one of the lower tier Marriott brands instead (especially a newer style Springhill Suites or even a Courtyard or Fairfield Inn) I think you'll have a better experience.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:06 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Just finished a stay at the Boscolo Exedra Roma and it was perfect. They treated me just as I would expect to be treated and I don't see any reason to stay at the St Regis again or try the Westin.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Moncton, NB

Moncton, NB is another town where Marriott is better than *wood. *wood has a really nice 4 points, BUT, it is out of the way.

Marriott has a Delta which is not as nice as the 4 points but right in the middle of things.

Marriott also has a residence inn, which offers AMAZING service and everything you'd want to do/eat/see is within walking distance. Tide and Boar (my favorite gastropub in Canada) is on the same block.

In sum for Moncton:
1. Residence Inn
Tied for 2: Delta and 4 points (4 points being the better hotel, Delta has better location)
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The point was that if you're in a city/town that doesn't have a SPG property, having access to a Marriott brand (whether FS Marriott or CY) is better, if one is interested in earning points/staying within the overall family. And the same would be true for Marriott elites if they're in a location w/ no Marriotts but SPG brands, whether the SPG brand be full service or limited.

Cheers.
Last week, I stayed in a Luxury Collection hotel, which was probably the highest quality hotel available in the market. This week, I am staying at a Courtyard, which is again the highest quality hotel available in the market I am staying in. Next week, I am staying at a Ritz-Carlton, which is actually mid-tier for the market. Different brands for different markets.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Richmond/ Midlothian, VA

Fairfield Inn beats Four Points (by a long shot)
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
You may not have to go outside, but it is quite a hike to get to the trains. Downhill one way, and way up the hill the other way. But I agree that JW is an excellent business hotel.

I really don't like the W in Hong Kong, I stayed there many many years ago, I don't considered it as equal to the same league as the RC nearby, you can tell from the check in procedure and overall hotel vibe. After the renovation I would even pick JW over W . Not to mentioned Sheraton, small room, low ceiling, small lounge, lots group guests.

I don't know where OP located but I traveled mostly in Asia too but I can think lots of locations that Marriott Hotels better than Starwood, for example Hanoi JW better than Sheraton, Singapore for city hotel, Jw and marriott better than Sheraton and Westin. In Osaka for an upscale segment, Marriott also much better than Westin and Sheraton.

But I agree, this thread is pointless, a full service marriott will mostly better than a limited service SPG, vice versa.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I have stayed at the Marriott Frankfurt and the Westin Grand Frankfurt. I think they are fairly close in quality. Location wise, Marriott is closer to the Messe, but the Westin is closer to main shopping area and old town.
I've not stayed at the Marriott or the former SPG hotels in Frankfurt, but I am going to make the shout that Roomers from the Design Hotels side is probably the best option.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Ritz Carlton in Montreal seems to beat W Montreal by a good amount
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
I really don't like the W in Hong Kong, I stayed there many many years ago, I don't considered it as equal to the same league as the RC nearby, you can tell from the check in procedure and overall hotel vibe. After the renovation I would even pick JW over W . Not to mentioned Sheraton, small room, low ceiling, small lounge, lots group guests.

I don't know where OP located but I traveled mostly in Asia too but I can think lots of locations that Marriott Hotels better than Starwood, for example Hanoi JW better than Sheraton, Singapore for city hotel, Jw and marriott better than Sheraton and Westin. In Osaka for an upscale segment, Marriott also much better than Westin and Sheraton.

But I agree, this thread is pointless, a full service marriott will mostly better than a limited service SPG, vice versa.
In Singapore, I'd certainly put the Westin (and also the StR of course) above the Marriott.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Menlo Park and Palo Alro - the new Nia while working out kinks, is better than the Westin or Sheraton.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
In Singapore, I'd certainly put the Westin (and also the StR of course) above the Marriott.
I love that Westin, if only they moved that panel so the lobby lifts open to the magnificent view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.