Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hong Kong vs. Ritz Carlton Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

W Hong Kong vs. Ritz Carlton Hong Kong

Going with GF for 5 nights for NYE before 5 nights at the St. Regis Maldives. Was planning on staying at the W, but now with the opportunity to transfer to Marriott, I am highly considering the Ritz.

Room rate that week is nearly double at Ritz and it has slightly better reviews.

Which treats plats better? Is the Ritz a no brainer?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:05 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I guess it depends on what you mean by "better". You will most likely not get upgraded to a suite room at the RC (though it could happen.) You will not get free breakfast at the RC. But in general, RC rooms and service, to me, are normally above what you will get at a W hotel. An RC is considered in the luxury market where I wouldn't put W hotels in the true luxury market.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The W demographic is pretty much diametrically opposed to the RC demographic, so (to me) the real question is which style you prefer.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The W demographic is pretty much diametrically opposed to the RC demographic, so (to me) the real question is which style you prefer.
agreed. And w/o free breakfast and lounge access there are quite some drawbacks to the RC.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:47 am
kkl

With the merger, it has made me rethink SPG6/7 redemptions. Max RC redemption is only 23K SPG per night for hk/tokyo/kyoto etc etc. good value comparatively

currently planning a trip to japan, the Prince Gallery tokyo vs RC Tokyo for roughly the same cost in spg.

i am reconsidering str osaka redemption and swapping it to marriott miyako. which would cost me less than half the points needed for str osaka.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by kkl
i am reconsidering str osaka redemption and swapping it to marriott miyako. which would cost me less than half the points needed for str osaka.
You can also consider Sheraton Miyako Osaka, my usual hotel in Osaka.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Gotta decide soon and still can't make up my mind. W is probably closer to my demographic, but Ritz looks nicer. SPG Plat may make it worth the W, but I am doing NYE party at O Zone Bar at Ritz.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Gotta decide soon and still can't make up my mind. W is probably closer to my demographic, but Ritz looks nicer. SPG Plat may make it worth the W, but I am doing NYE party at O Zone Bar at Ritz.
Link your MR and SPG accounts, stay at the Ritz, earn points and transfer to SPG (assume NY party will rack up decent charges)!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:21 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We visited both in 2014...but stayed at The Upper House.

We thought both hotels were very dramatic and with very good service standards. The W design and atmosphere (and crowd) definitely is edgier and more energetic; the RC was more polished and formal (and with a more staid, older crowd).

We liked both...so go with your gut. If you feel like saving some money, you won't go wrong with the W...and the chance for a significant room or suite upgrade and free breakfast may make the W even more worthwhile. But if you feel like tasting the RC in a regular room, go for it.

Remember also that the W brand abroad is far more luxurious than in the USA. This RC is probably a bit more luxurious...but the margin isn't quite what some will say.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that I am staying on points and the two are pretty much the same cost pointswise.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:26 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
If the W is more of your demographic I would stay there and enjoy the free breakfast.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:33 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Forgot to mention that I am staying on points and the two are pretty much the same cost pointswise.
Assuming you have Platinum status and can get free breakfast at the W and a chance for a suite upgrade (or room with harbor view), it's worth considering the W.

Assuming you aren't Platinum, I'd go for the Ritz-Carlton since the entry level room is a spacious and beautiful 540 sq ft compared to the W entry level 431 sq ft. The RC breakfast and other amenities likely will cost a bit more...but hey, it's one of the best RC! If you have any status, maybe you'd get a category upgrade to a harbor view room.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The RC club lounge is extremely good with five food presentation per day. You get 24/7 access with a small set of beer and wine choices being available throughout the night and of course good stuff during happy hour times.

RC rooms seem to all be large. A good upgrade would a junior suite or a better view. At the W, I got the highest category non suite (cool corner?), which was large, the first time and after that the first or second category of regular suites every time.

Another difference is that the RC swimming pool is indoors versus the outdoor W pool, on about floor 80. RC is about floor 120.

Both locations are good for the airport express train and the attached Elements upscale modern shopping mall but not much else.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The RC club lounge is extremely good with five food presentation per day. You get 24/7 access with a small set of beer and wine choices being available throughout the night and of course good stuff during happy hour times.
I didn't think RC Club rooms were available on award stays...unless given a very lucky upgrade. Is that in error?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I didn't think RC Club rooms were available on award stays...unless given a very lucky upgrade. Is that in error?
It wasn't an error or an upgrade to a club room. I paid the FHR rate for a club room and then got an upgrade to a club junior suite. However, I did hear someone in the lounge talking about an amazing upgrade that they had received.

BTW, at this property club level mainly means club lounge access. Club rooms can be any room on any floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.