Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 2lovelife

Sorry! But, I get Platinum now at 25 nights (1night stays)

So, any reference to these goals being the same as current SPG levels is ludicrous!

Maybe in your view, but I think a majority of people will agree with the definitions. Also not mentioned is gifted status, doing meeting rooms, and owning a property. All get you status without any personal stays. Corner cases will continue to exist.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Gary didn't mention it but I wonder if our ability to transfer points to airline partners will go away before the end of the year.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I think a lot of SPG Platinum members are going to be pissed if they make the qualification based on nights ONLY! How in the world are they going to handle this mid-year? For me most important is the way they are going to be handling Lifetime status. I need to make Platinum this year to get Lifetime SPG Platinum. If they change mid-year this might completely screw me as well as if they don't decide to honor SPG Lifetime status even if they wait to implement until Jan 2019.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:13 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I agree with the prior poster... I think he meant announce. This allows us all to plan ahead as many people make bookings months in advance. I would imagine changes would go into place Jan 1, 2019 (at least for counting nights towards status)
He actually states that the announcement will be in a few days on April 16th.

"there will be an announcement next week of the combined program for Marriott and Starwood.

Nothing has been confirmed officially by Marriott yet but here’s what people are expecting: a new program that goes into effect August 1. This still seems fast to me but as long as they’re not taking away earned benefits or making hotel stays less rewarding or redemptions more expensive it may not be problematic from a notice standpoint"
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Unfortunately, this appears to mean earned Lifetime PLatinum is now only good for the 3rd of 5 tiers. Not much different for SPG, but a downgrade for MR. And with the combined programs/properties, I suspect there will be many more 75s and 100s than there will be for the previous SPG. Similar to LT PLT USAir who dropped to 3 of 5 with AA.

I can only hope LT PLT in both results in LT PP. But I'm not holding my breath.
C17PSGR and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 9, 2018 at 9:28 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I am 11 nights from LT Gold and curious as to how they are going to handle this - will they stop offering post 8.1.18 etc
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:50 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
It is also discussed in the Merger thread above.

A summary per Onemileatatime:

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....rogram-rumors/

The new program will launch in August

Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will be launching a single program in August, which would match what Marriott’s CEO said, when he indicated that it would happen in the second half of the year. That’s right at the beginning of the second half of the year.

The new program will have five elite tiers

The new elite tiers for the combined program would be as follows:
  • Silver status after 10 nights
  • Gold status after 25 nights
  • Platinum status after 50 nights
  • Platinum Premier status after 75 nights
  • Ambassador status after 100 nights and $20,000 of spend

Members will earn 10 points per dollar spent

Free breakfast expanded to 25 brands and resorts
And I will add- What about Suite Upgrades? Will there be any guaranteed Upgrades per Starwood now?

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 10, 2018 at 8:41 am Reason: For compliance with FT copyright rule
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Some
SPG is to me by far the most attractive major hotel programme for non-US residents, whereas if you think Marriott / RC Rewards is pretty poor for US residents then it's downright terrible for everyone else.

If the model for the combined programme ends up being almost 100% Marriott Rewards which sounds to be the case here (i.e. set very high night requirements but then give US residents easy ways of earning stay credits without actually staying / credit cards that grant them high level elite status for spending enough), I'm not sure I'll be sticking around.

As a more general point I find it crazy generally how unsophisticated most hotel loyalty programmes are compared to airline ones - none of the major hotel programmes bother to take account of what kind of hotels you're staying at and total ignore the fact that 50 nights at $500 per night hotels in Europe is surely worth far more to the company than someone spending 75 nights in $100 per night hotels in the middle of nowhere in the US. I can't name a single airline programme that gives the same status credit for economy and first class flights, but that's effectively what all hotel programmes do!

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Apr 9, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
LT Status Speculations

Originally Posted by CPRich
Unfortunately, this appears to mean earned Lifetime PLatinum is now only good for the 3rd of 5 tiers. Not much different for SPG, but a downgrade for MR. And with the combined programs/properties, I suspect there will be many more 75s and 100s than there will be for the previous SPG. Similar to LT USAir who dropped to 3 of 5 with AA.
I can only hope LT PLT in both results in LT PP. But I'm not holding my breath.
Note that HHONORS only has LT DIAMOND and it is 1,000 nights and 10 years of DIAMOND. Hyatt has LT Globalist. The combined program will be in disadvantage if not offering LT at least the 2nd tier level.
For these reasons I think the new program has a good chance of offering LT status with PLT-75 (or "Platinum Premier") benefits but using different qualification criteria. Perhaps:
1) (Unlikely generous scenario) All current SPG LT PLT and Marriott LT PLT are grandfathered into lifetime 2nd tier in the new program. This will result in a large number of new LT Elite members.
2) SPG 500 night PLT would be LT PLT (3rd tier) in the new program and everyone with 750 lifetime nights in the combined program will be offered LT Platinum Premier (so at least current Marriott LT PLT will be happy); or
2) New 1,000 night qualification requirement for LT 2-nd tier status in order to keep the elite numbers down.

The train had departed once the merger was announced and the only think we can do is just wait.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:01 pm

I just want to point out that just MR changing to the new program this year with SPG program not merged in until next year.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I just want to point out that just MR changing to the new program this year with SPG program not merged in until next year.
Are you sure? Why make a major change in the middle of this year, when there will be more changes next year with the merger of the programs? The big difference then would seem to be in making both PP and Ambassador published levels, with the renaming of Gold and Plat and implicit devaluation of lifetime status as a result of the renaming.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure? Why make a major change in the middle of this year, when there will be more changes next year with the merger of the programs? The big difference then would seem to be in making both PP and Ambassador published levels, with the renaming of Gold and Plat and implicit devaluation of lifetime status as a result of the renaming.
Yes I am sure. Next week they will be announcing the changes to MR thay may be starting in July or August. SPG will be left alone and not merged until next year or later with an announcement of the new name for the combined program also next year or later.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by damon88
A summary per Onemileatatime:
FWIW a commenter on the above blog post claims an agent told him the SPG to airline transfers will end on 16 Apr 18.

I'll take that with a grain of salt without additional verification, but it does raise the question of advance notice for what will surely be the eventual death of the SPG transfer program in its current state. While you'd think they would give advance notice, nothing would shock me.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 10, 2018 at 8:42 am Reason: for compliance with FT copyright rule
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:37 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by 84fiero
FWIW a commenter on the above blog post claims an agent told him the SPG to airline transfers will end on 16 Apr 18.

I'll take that with a grain of salt without additional verification, but it does raise the question of advance notice for what will surely be the eventual death of the SPG transfer program in its current state. While you'd think they would give advance notice, nothing would shock me.

IMHO Marriott has so far made changes in a rational and fair way. I can't imagine they would destroy all the good will they have created to date with dramatic changes that would be guaranteed to infuriate elite members.

Taking away the ability to earn status with stays I can believe. Creating 5 tiers and sadly (as I suspect) making LTP 3rd tier I can believe. Taking away airline transfers arbitrarily with zero notice sounds suspect at best.

Whatever they do they are going to disappoint some people. There is no way to make everyone happy. But until I see the details I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by christianj
I think a lot of SPG Platinum members are going to be pissed if they make the qualification based on nights ONLY! How in the world are they going to handle this mid-year? For me most important is the way they are going to be handling Lifetime status. I need to make Platinum this year to get Lifetime SPG Platinum. If they change mid-year this might completely screw me as well as if they don't decide to honor SPG Lifetime status even if they wait to implement until Jan 2019.
I expect that even if the program implements mid-year, they would allow qualification stays through the end of the year. That would be the Christian thing to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.