Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I still don't understand what you are talking about... Are you saying that
​​​​​​(1) That the new program will drop breakfast and lounge benefits for elites at resorts OR
(2) That MAR will force hotel owners that operate lounges at properties classified as resorts to close their lounges

These are profoundly different statements where one pertains to the design of the frequent guest program and another how MAR define and operates their brand standard... Which one is it?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:22 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
(2) for free P access, however if hotel charges for lounge access, like RC, then no sweat as still $ maker for hotel/Marriott, and certainly no kickback by Owners as it will save them $.

Originally Posted by X-ON
I still don't understand what you are talking about... Are you saying that
​​​​​​(1) That the new program will drop breakfast and lounge benefits for elites at resorts OR
(2) That MAR will force hotel owners that operate lounges at properties classified as resorts to close their lounges

These are profoundly different statements where one pertains to the design of the frequent guest program and another how MAR define and operates their brand standard... Which one is it?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I have strong feeling that Marriott is trying to drag SPG down to its level.

Nevermind, i will try to make hyatt globalist instead.
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Srisarin
(2) for free P access, however if hotel charges for lounge access, like RC, then no sweat as still $ maker for hotel/Marriott, and certainly no kickback by Owners as it will save them $.
thats exactly what we were saying...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Really, cause I have NO idea what you're saying or even trying to say.....

I know that I’ve been saying, challenged/criticized by others, that P are gonna lose free access to lounges at resorts, mirroring Marriott

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
thats exactly what we were saying...

Last edited by Srisarin; Dec 17, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Srisarin: Now you are completely contradicting yourself.

Previously, you wrote, "any Starwood resorts with lounges will be directed to close them."

That's what I and others were commenting about. There is a huge difference between forcing owners of resort properties to close their lounges, and giving those owners a head-up that the Elite access benefit for lounges at reports is expected to change.
3rdworldresident and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 17, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
first leak heard (and confirmed by 3 sources) on integrated program - any Starwood resorts with lounges will be directed to close them (matching Marriott policy)....... not un-expected
Honestly that is NOT what you originally posted; you posted "...directed to close them..." which what I think led people (myself included) to interpret it as Marriott closing down lounges at Starwood legacy resorts.
What I now understand you were trying to convey is that Marriott is removing free access to lounges at properties classified as resorts for certain or all tier of elites in a new and combined program.
Probably you should reflect on your own ambiguous statements before criticizing others

Last edited by X-ON; Dec 20, 2017 at 9:07 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:50 pm
Suspended

if you guys don’t understand “matching Marriott policy” which you intentional delete from my post in YOUR interpretations that’s YOUR problem (Ie. Marriott/RC operates resort lounges for paid access, but when Marriott had other props close their lounges to Plats they did not include the RC paid access lounges)

Last edited by Srisarin; Dec 17, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
if you guys don’t understand “matching Marriott policy” which you intentional delete from my post in YOUR interpretations that’s YOUR problem (Ie. Marriott/RC operates resort lounges for paid access, but when Marriott had other props close their lounges to Plats they did not include the RC paid access lounges

Okay, Srisarin, quoted here is your complete post:
first leak heard (and confirmed by 3 sources) on integrated program - any Starwood resorts with lounges will be directed to close them (matching Marriott policy)....... not un-expected

The "action" part of your rumor is clearly, "any Starwood resorts with lounges will be directed to close them."

The phrase "matching Marriott policy" in parentheses was perhaps meant to add clarity, but it really didn't -- because Marriott does not have a policy of forcing resort owners to eliminate lounges. So, yes, I guess I'm one of those guys who don't understand "matching Marriott policy."

When Marriott publishes the details of the combined program, we'll all know more about Elite benefits. Yes, it's possible that the lounges at Starwood-legacy resorts will have different Elite benefits than they do under SPG. It's possible lounges will just be for some room/suite categories and/or as paid add-ons.

With this post, I've posted enough on this tangent of this thread.
3rdworldresident likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 17, 2017 at 10:56 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:51 am
Suspended

Hate to disagree with you but the facts are that among others, off the top of my head, the JW Khao Lak, pursuant to “non existent” Marriott directive to close free exec lounge at resorts led to its closure although the designated exec lounge still exists now unused next to the business center.
The Pattaya Marriott was exempted from this directive as it was grandfathered in from the time it was a Royal Garden property otherwise it would also have been closed.
Other local resorts such as in Bali, Phu Quoc, Rayong, Hua Hin, Pattaya/Jomtien and the handfull in Phuket were never built with exec lounges planned due to this “non existent” policy.

Originally Posted by Horace
The phrase "matching Marriott policy" in parentheses was perhaps meant to add clarity, but it really didn't -- because Marriott does not have a policy of forcing resort owners to eliminate lounges. So, yes, I guess I'm one of those guys who don't understand "matching Marriott policy.".

Last edited by Srisarin; Dec 18, 2017 at 6:07 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Exactly, which is why it will be interesting to see what they do with breakfast at those properties. I would be surprised if the "new" program would provide a breakfast benefit at St. Regis and Luxury Collection properties and not provide that benefit at RC properties. I think they have to reconcile this at some point and the huge hit to me will be if they move to the current MAR model and get rid of breakfast at the high end SPG brands.
Many of these luxury properties can be booked through FHR/Virtuoso to get free breakfast (sometimes just continental, but that's the SPG benefit in exchange for 500 welcome amenity points, although many properties either make it an extremely nice continental offering or give a full buffet or full breakfast). If we book through FHR/Virtuoso, we still earn points and nights credits, but Starriott would lost their booking fees and the hotels would instead presumably pay a 10% commission to AmEx/Virtuoso travel agents.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Right. I always book Ritz C's through FHR and always get the free brekkie, PLUS Platinum benefits. In other words, stacking. Always a nice upgrade.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Really, cause I have NO idea what you're saying or even trying to say.....

I know that I’ve been saying, challenged/criticized by others, that P are gonna lose free access to lounges at resorts, mirroring Marriott
You worded it as "close their lounges" which is what confused people.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:27 pm

i'm curious if marriott with just plat qual level as it's quite high 75 nights compared to 25 stays
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sethb
You worded it as "close their lounges" which is what confused people.
Don't know if it's going to extend to SPG properties, but this was posted in a thread where a Marriott property is switching to resort status. "As a Resort, we are thrilled with all new amenities and the enhancements but at the same time sad to see our Concierge Level close as it’s not part of Marriott Resorts brand standards. Again, thank you very much for choosing the Marriott Stanton South Beach Resort."

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29248656-post109.html

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.