Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I thought Lieber's article was pretty thinly argued for its length. If Starwood has any cool it comes from W and (maybe) Element and Aloft properties, which, frankly, aren't terribly meaningful in number in the context of the $13 Billion acquisition. Then he's arguing that SPG travelers dislike change and like SPG benefits. Well - duh. He doesn't do much to acknowledge the point that SPG members will be able to get (some level of) benefits at 5x the number of properties - and that Marriott gave immediate status matching to Marriott Rewards elite levels.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
He doesn't do much to acknowledge the point that SPG members will be able to get (some level of) benefits at 5x the number of properties - and that Marriott gave immediate status matching to Marriott Rewards elite levels.
He made the point (as many of "us" have) that, if we wanted to get benefits at 5x the number of properties, we could have for years on end (by giving Marriott some loyalty)..but we didn't, we stayed loyal to SPG for a reason.

I couldn't care any less about all the Fairfield Inns, CYs, Springhill Suites, TownPlace Suites etc. in every small town in America. I'm guessing most SPG elites feel the same way.
EuropeanPete and remymartin like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
The whole number of properties is meaningless for all SPG or MR loyalists in Europe or Asia. There, the combined footprint has only increased marginally. The number of options in typical European holiday destinations (eg. Portugal, mainland Spain and Spanish Islands, Greece, Southern France, Italy, Croatia) for example has only marginally improved for SPG members, if at all. And in the US and Canada, there was already an abundance of options before the merger, which is even greater now.
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Not very well researched or proofed....Homewood is not a brand in either the Starwood or Marriott portfolio.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
The article was frankly a bunch of drivel. There are like 70 W Hotels worldwide out of several thousand Marriott hotels. The brand was never that important. Homewood is a Hilton brand. The writer complained that Marriott doesn't have enough hotels in emerging neighborhoods, but frankly neither did Starwood (or do Hilton/Hyatt).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
He made the point (as many of "us" have) that, if we wanted to get benefits at 5x the number of properties, we could have for years on end (by giving Marriott some loyalty)..but we didn't, we stayed loyal to SPG for a reason.

I couldn't care any less about all the Fairfield Inns, CYs, Springhill Suites, TownPlace Suites etc. in every small town in America. I'm guessing most SPG elites feel the same way.
The cool thing about hotel mergers is that you can continue to freely ignore those brands and stay in your legacy Starwood hotels.

Also, a little birdie told me recently that Starwood point transfers to Marriott to use for Marriott redemptions has far outstripped the other way around. Interesting tidbit.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The cool thing about hotel mergers is that you can continue to freely ignore those brands and stay in your legacy Starwood hotels.

Also, a little birdie told me recently that Starwood point transfers to Marriott to use for Marriott redemptions has far outstripped the other way around. Interesting tidbit.
I suspect the travel package may have something to do with that.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
That is interesting, although it'd also be interesting to see a breakdown by sub-brand, as well as what proportion of those redemptions are in areas without good SPG presence.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
The whole number of properties is meaningless for all SPG or MR loyalists in Europe or Asia. There, the combined footprint has only increased marginally. The number of options in typical European holiday destinations (eg. Portugal, mainland Spain and Spanish Islands, Greece, Southern France, Italy, Croatia) for example has only marginally improved for SPG members, if at all. And in the US and Canada, there was already an abundance of options before the merger, which is even greater now.
I have to disagree with when you say that things have marginally improved in Europe for SPG members, especially in Spain and Portugal which are heavily saturated by AC by Marriott. For example there are two SPG properties in Madrid and 9 AC by Marriotts alone. Their footprint is massive and a big boon in my opinion to Western European travel.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

I wouldn’t be surprised by this, since SPG points being worth three times as MR/RCR points makes the award redemptions for Marriott and Ritz Carlton properties far better values! Those Tier 5 Ritz Carlton redemptions at 70,000 MR points/night are only 23,333 SPG points/night, lower even than a Category 6 SPG hotel. Work the math and it’s pretty obvious.

Of course, what Marriott really wants to see is how its most profitable customers are behaving—not its average customers. As SPG Plat100 who stays most often at StR, LuxCollection, W, Le Méridien, and Sheraton, with the occasional Renaissance and Courtyard where SPG isn’t available, not to mention being SPG Pro and booking hundreds of rooms at SPG (and occasional Marriott) properties, I’m pretty confident that I’m a pretty high value customer. Thus far, in almost 2 years, I’m booked for only 2 awards with MR/RC: 1 night at the Tier 4 Ritz Carlton Boston in April 2018 and 2 nights at the Tier 5 Ritz Carlton Kyoto in May 2018.

And yet I still booked the SPG Category 7 Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho for May 2018 (not the RC), the Suiran Kyoto for 5 nights (with the 2 nights at the RC Kyoto), and the StR Osaka (not the RC). In the last year, I’ve booked awards and stays at the StR San Francisco (not RC), the StR Bahia Beach (not RC San Juan), the StR Washington (not the RCs), the StR Rome, the Hotel Imperial Vienna (not the RC), and the Prince de Galles Paris (nothing remotely as good with Marriott). I just paid to stay at the StR Houston, and I’ll be paying to stay this coming weekend at the StR San Francisco, and in Jan at the StR Punta Mita, and in March at the StR New York and StR Atlanta.

For high value customes like me, despite the often better value of awards at the higher end RC, many of us still prefer the benefits and suite upgrades at the top StR and LuxCollection and occasional W properties. Those perks are pitiful at the Ritz Carlton properties...even as a matched Platinum. So StR and Luxury Collection get my cash. That’s what average consumers for Marriott don’t understand and generally are oblivious about, and what Marriott almost certainly recognizes.

There’s a reason Marriott gave us 3 MR points per 1 SPG point. Marriott knows SPG customers spend more on average than Marriott customes...especially in the brand profiles for the higher end and more costly brands in which SPG excels. Marriott wants customers like me to stay with Marriott. If they want me to stay and not spend my money with Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula and Aman and Park Hyatt, then Marriott better keep us happy.

The higher spending SPG customers are who Marriott covets...and desperately wants to make happy. Those aren’t sending as many points to Marriott, I’m willing to bet.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by christianj
Not very well researched or proofed....Homewood is not a brand in either the Starwood or Marriott portfolio.
I wouldn't dismiss an entire article on one misstated aside in a sequence of hotel names. That said, someone should have corrected that by now.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems odd Q3 has data for W (53) but not st regis (43)

marriott has equity in all 115 AC Hotels - what percent?

any chance marriott will do another starwood style deal?
market cap >
51B = 47B + 4B marriott
vs
11B IHG

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 1, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I wouldn't dismiss an entire article on one misstated aside in a sequence of hotel names.
True, but this is FT where we have a habit of holding journalists/hacks to higher standards than their own editors do!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
first leak heard (and confirmed by 3 sources) on integrated program - any Starwood resorts with lounges will be directed to close them (matching Marriott policy)....... not un-expected
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Srisarin
- any Starwood resorts with lounges will be directed to close them (matching Marriott policy)
that will severely reduce the appeal of the Oahu properties, and many others I'm not remembering at the moment. Seems like this ought to be property-specific, not across the board policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.