Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
as a lifetime plat SPG, I am finding that I am staying more at Marriot than SPG since the merger..
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sethb
Even if you only stay at Marriotts, it's worth linking and getting the SPG Amex. That works out to 6 points/$ at Marriotts, the Marriott Visa is only 5. (And incidental spending is 3 Marriott points/$ rather than 1.)

Is there any benefit to not linking yet?
Not in reference to linking but one reason to use the Marriott card versus the Amex is for LT status. Since, as of now, SPG points do not count towards lifetime MR status you might be better off using the Visa and getting 5 points
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:29 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I come from the Marriott side of the house but I am using SPG properties with much more regularity since the merger. I'm LT Platinum with Marriott and now that I'm getting the SPG Platinum benefits I'm starting to feel their program benefits are better than Marriott's so I've begun to refocus more of my stays at SPG properties. I travel extensively, predominantly in Asia although some in US/Europe and consistently spend 120+/- in hotels.
Welcome! I also think SPG benefits are way better and have been treated way better by SPG than by Marriott. That said, the merger brought generous points transfer options; so overall I'm still a happy camper.

I am afraid for next year--I've already requalified for Platinum and will probably get Plat100 again easily (I'm already at >50 nights in mid-May)… but I'm wondering if I should re-focus some nights on another chain. I'll likely be losing Hilton Diamond next year, perhaps I should focus some nights there.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Steffo

But my main concern is checking up to see if there will be any changes to SPG program soon that would cause me to want to burn my points. I think I had seen before that change was likely to take effect for the 2018 program year starting in January 2018. So I was intrigued with your post SkiAdcock stating you believe that such change is still at least a full year away from April 2017. Do you have information that says they won't integrate them at the beginning of 2018? It would be great to know.
Mentioned in this thread & others (from analyst calls, etc), that they're anticipating full merger of the programs to be later in 2018, not 1/1/18. They've not given a specific date yet in 2018, so 1/1/18 was more speculation on our parts.

Cheers.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
as a lifetime plat SPG, I am finding that I am staying more at Marriot than SPG since the merger..
probably quite a few similar
any suite upgrades?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 2, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
@Kagehitokiri - "Any suite upgrades" - very few, but there again suite upgrades don't really rock my boat. Far prefer to be on the same floor as the exec lounge...
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and might be more clubs with marriott? (including ritz)
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:44 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I’ve pretty much put my head in the sand regarding this merger, under the assumption that mergers are generally bad for me and, in any event, I don’t have much of a play to make and am so just along for the ride.

Continual emails from Marriott offering a pre-merge account link haven’t moved me, but recently I made back-to-back 5-day each award redemptions at the Marriott Wailea (160k MR points + $100 per night + $30 resort fee) and the Westin Kaanapali (160k *wood points + $31.25 resort fee per night) over Xmas/New Years (factoring in that the Marriott is a better property), so I thought I’d wander over to this sticky to study what you merger theoreticians have discovered.

I’ve scanned the last 20 pages of this thread and I can’t see much advantage to linking my accounts (unless I have a future pressing need for some Marriott points) and I don’t think that this merger is going to be such a bad thing for me, other than losing the very likable Starwood Amex.

Some data points:

Basically, all of my Starwood points are from the business Amex;

All of my Marriott points come from stays, using a Marriott Visa, and generally at lower end US properties;

I have about 10 times the amount of Starwood points as I do Marriott;

I’m gold w/ both programs: Marriott on stays; Starwood on Amex spend.

Now thinking about the Maui Westin, which can be had as low as 20,000 *points per night, I anticipate that this hotel will start at less than 60,000 MR points per night once the merger has been finalized, so in this case likely not too bad, yes? As in any complicated program merger, there will be good and bad redemption conversions, and until categories of captured Starwood hotels are announced it’s premature to guess, but what is the consensus of opinion regarding the 3 to 1 transfer rate? I’m sure that it has been tirelessly vetted, but I didn’t come across a discussion or link: and so who points me in that direction will have my gratitude.

And I'm sure that somebody can point out my wrongheadedness.

Thanks all, J.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at 1:3 there are great marriott/ritz redemption opportunities for those with SPG points

if you ever do SPG7 you might do some, especially holiday/peak, which may change

wonder why these are excluded:
RC singapore
JW marriott miami beaux arts

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Mentioned in this thread & others (from analyst calls, etc), that they're anticipating full merger of the programs to be later in 2018, not 1/1/18. They've not given a specific date yet in 2018, so 1/1/18 was more speculation on our part.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 19, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kklems
Not in reference to linking but one reason to use the Marriott card versus the Amex is for LT status. Since, as of now, SPG points do not count towards lifetime MR status you might be better off using the Visa and getting 5 points
So, if I'm a MR LT PLT, skip the MR VISA and go for the SPG AMEX?
Old May 15, 2017, 9:38 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
So, if I'm a MR LT PLT, skip the MR VISA and go for the SPG AMEX?
Do you want 5 pts/$ or 6 pts/$ spent?
Old May 17, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The answer might depend on how many points are being offered for opening a new credit card account.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Just back from the IMEX event and sharing some impressions:

- consolidated Marriott stand which included Starwood was a zoo. Too many people !
- interesting split between 'standard' brands and a separate stand for 'luxury' for which StR, LC, and W made the cut (personal view on W: I'd say their yields to Marriott may feel luxury, but not sure if the experience does for the guest in all cases)
- as indicated previously, apparently no intention to consolidate brands
- still working on integration of loyalty, and indeed may slip past 1/1. Key issues seem to be requalification and treatment of LT members.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The answer might depend on how many points are being offered for opening a new credit card account.
Yes, please!

Actually, I suspect AmEx might cut me off. I already have a Platinum Amex and a Delta Amex.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.