Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, Just a reminder, please bear in mind the FT rules before copy/pasting content from other websites :

Posting Copyrighted Material
Do not post information protected by copyright or owned by another without the owner's consent. If you infringe on someone else's rights you will be held solely responsible. Neither FlyerTalk nor its owner shall be held responsible for information you post that may violate copyright law.
When posting a news article or other published information, credit the source of the information and give a brief, one-to-three paragraph summary or clip of the content, providing an appropriate link and/or cite to its source.
Thank you for your cooperation.
damon88 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For LTP, it's been discussed earlier long ago in this thread, but it seems lined up to split the sub 750 night LTP's and the +750 night LTP's into their own tiers. Over 750 nights should get you into the happier Platinum tier. It only makes sense as Marriott LTP's are all over 750 nights.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by escape4
Personally I get significant value out of my ambassador, not counting the fact that I am quite sure I get priority over P75 for suite upgrades in several hotels.

X2 I have been a lifetime Marriott PLT for a long time along with the upper tier have on the whole great service and "return" on my "investment" Sure if you are fortunate to stay at the higher end properties you get rewarded for that ISN'T that the whole purpose "REWARD" one ? I think so and make no apology for it
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
All Onemileatatime is doing is summarizing the purported leak from FT ... they don't claim it to be accurate or to be an independent source. Much of it has the "ring of truth" but its still not a final release.
I would never take OMAAT's information seriously... They can't even value points correctly. MR points aren't worth as much as UR points, AAdvantage miles aren't worth the same as Delta miles, nor are SPG points only worth 2.2 cents on average, but most likely much more than that.

While interesting, it's a foolish source to use. If they cannot even get points values correct, they probably won't get most of their "rumors" correct.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Personally I get significant value out of my ambassador, not counting the fact that I am quite sure I get priority over P75 for suite upgrades in several hotels.
I did feel that as a P100 I too got Suite priority over P75 (although it's just anecdotal, and not a true test). On the other hand I did not get any value out of my Ambassador. This is part of the problem with the Ambassador level... some do get excellent value while others get poor value. A program benefit shouldn't be delivered in a way that allows frequent and top level P100 travelers to have such differing results from the benefit. Personally I'm surprised Marriott is keeping the Ambassador program at all. It would seem a significant savings to cut costs by removing it. Instead they are removing us (well, that is the portion of us who don't hit $20k in spend).
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:02 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Not to mention that when you stay on points redemptions it won't count as spend. A lot of my nights are in "cheap" destinations similar to KL, and I will probably finish the year with 150 nights in Starwood+Marriott combined, but given that many nights have $0 spend (points) or cash nights in low-cost destinations $100-125, I am not even sure that 150 nights will be enough for $20k spend. If I stay 150 nights and do not get AMB tier, then it will most likely make sense to move a large number of nights to Hyatt, where I currently stay just enough to achieve Globalist with 55-60 nights. There are many cities where I currently choose Starwood over Hyatt but that will be reversed.
To double-check on my previous comments, I asked my ambassador for my 2017 spend and fortunately it's information which is readily available. I spent less than $125 per night on average so I would need 160+ nights to keep AMB100 if my mix of points redemptions and cash stays remain about the same, and if the average cost of hotels I visit remains about the same too. Not counting any credit card night credits to push my total nights even higher (180?), but credit card nights would be irrelevant anyway since they don't come with qualifying spend.

If that's how it's going to play out, I am more likely to shrink to 75 nights rather than increase to 160 nights.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
If the new combined program starts in August, why the next promo ends on July 20, 2018?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:32 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
A couple of the Bangkok hotels boast of 50+ Platinum guests per night. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is common around the world.
From higher end Bangkok ones like the SGS and WGS, to the Royal Orchid, and even the lower 4Pts and Aloft properties, I see NO reason to stay at ANY of them without the current benefits.

Imagine staying at the ROS in one of their crappy standard rooms with no Lounge, upgrades, or breakfast.

**Losing 50 Plats a night = over 18,000 room nights per year! Per hotel.

Do they think there are no choices? We’ve all got status with other chains! Status matches will be our parachutes!

I walked from United 10 years ago and never regretted. Say the word! Just dare me!

remymartin and LDNConsultant like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Has there been any whispers of crediting legacy SPG folks with either prior year rollover nights, or Earned Nights in the merged program using prior SPG AmEx spend? I’m sure it’s just wishful thinking on my part.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Sallycat
Has there been any whispers of crediting legacy SPG folks with either prior year rollover nights, or Earned Nights in the merged program using prior SPG AmEx spend? I’m sure it’s just wishful thinking on my part.
If your hoping for anything based on prior SPG AMEX spend I think you are definitely dreaming!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't you mean 33 nights? Getting 25 stays would be another year of earned Plat, and therefore LTP if you have the 500 total nights.
Yes, thank you, 33 nights... Stays would be another story. Already have the 10+ years of Platinum done.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:38 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I noticed in a thread that someone was able to find out his annual SPG spend for 2017 from his Ambassador. Does anyone know if Platinum agents also can provide this figure?
I ask because this may be a relevant number determining status going forward.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:51 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
For anyone who is attending the NYC gala, please DM me. For everyone else, there's even more bad news on the horizon. Starwood's Canadian CCC in facing death from a thousand cuts. Employee benefits have been slashed or denied as Marriott shifts call centre operations to Mexico.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Just to be perfectly clear, the new Marriott Rewards/Starwood Preferred Guest program is not starting August 1. Marriott is giving a heads up in announcing details of the new program, status levels, related requirements and changes to benefits, over the next couple of weeks so that no one can say they were unaware of the changes! These changes will not go into effect until January 2019, and really won't impact anyone's status until 2020!

Regards,

RIP...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
A couple of the Bangkok hotels boast of 50+ Platinum guests per night. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is common around the world.
From higher end Bangkok ones like the SGS and WGS, to the Royal Orchid, and even the lower 4Pts and Aloft properties, I see NO reason to stay at ANY of them without the current benefits.

Imagine staying at the ROS in one of their crappy standard rooms with no Lounge, upgrades, or breakfast.

**Losing 50 Plats a night = over 18,000 room nights per year! Per hotel.

Do they think there are no choices? We’ve all got status with other chains! Status matches will be our parachutes!

I walked from United 10 years ago and never regretted. Say the word! Just dare me!

OK Dare YOU

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.