Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Yes I am sure. Next week they will be announcing the changes to MR thay may be starting in July or August. SPG will be left alone and not merged until next year or later with an announcement of the new name for the combined program also next year or later.
Source? That's a pretty bold claim...also doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't do a new joint program given how much time they've had to think about it...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by 84fiero
FWIW a commenter on the above blog post claims an agent told him the SPG to airline transfers will end on 16 Apr 18.

I'll take that with a grain of salt without additional verification, but it does raise the question of advance notice for what will surely be the eventual death of the SPG transfer program in its current state. While you'd think they would give advance notice, nothing would shock me.
Crap. If true, this would be horrible.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Will the new program allow the second and third room booked for the same stay count towards night credits?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This is interesting that they would make these changes in the middle of the year.

I've gotta figure out what to do about LTP and there seem to be no details about that yet... I'm 33 stays away and was thinking I had the rest of the year to do it. Hoping that is still the case, otherwise I'm gonna be doing some vacations and mattress runs soon...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
Unfortunately, this appears to mean earned Lifetime PLatinum is now only good for the 3rd of 5 tiers. Not much different for SPG, but a downgrade for MR. And with the combined programs/properties, I suspect there will be many more 75s and 100s than there will be for the previous SPG. Similar to LT USAir who dropped to 3 of 5 with AA.

I can only hope LT PLT in both results in LT PP. But I'm not holding my breath.
Not sure about that. Marriott has LT for their highest current tier, 75 nights. I could see the new program having LT for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Premier, but not Ambassador.

Not sure why they even bother with Silver. Just do 25 / 50 / 75 / 100.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:10 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yvr76
Not sure about that. Marriott has LT for their highest current tier, 75 nights. I could see the new program having LT for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Premier, but not Ambassador.

Not sure why they even bother with Silver. Just do 25 / 50 / 75 / 100.

I hope you are correct and LTP will be at least 2nd tier. The speculation about Silver is so that they can hand that out with the basic credit card.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hope not.
jpdx likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
This is interesting that they would make these changes in the middle of the year.

I've gotta figure out what to do about LTP and there seem to be no details about that yet... I'm 33 stays away and was thinking I had the rest of the year to do it. Hoping that is still the case, otherwise I'm gonna be doing some vacations and mattress runs soon...
Don't you mean 33 nights? Getting 25 stays would be another year of earned Plat, and therefore LTP if you have the 500 total nights.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope not.

I hope it will.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope not.
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

I hope it will.
Posts that don't reference the post they are replying to leaves one to guess and most likely guess wrong.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:26 pm

Someone commented on that blog post and said an SPG agent told her transfers to airline miles is ending 4/16. This has me and others in a bit of a panic. Do you think this is possible?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Someone commented on that blog post and said an SPG agent told her transfers to airline miles is ending 4/16. This has me and others in a bit of a panic. Do you think this is possible?
Seems highly unlikely that Marriott would cancel a program with no notice ....
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by damon88
It is also discussed in the Merger thread above.

A summary per Onemileatatime:

The new program will launch in August

All Onemileatatime is doing is summarizing the purported leak from FT ... they don't claim it to be accurate or to be an independent source. Much of it has the "ring of truth" but its still not a final release.
cawhite likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As someone who qualifies as SPG PLT with stays, changing the program in August wouldn't sit well with me.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
I was nervous when I saw that as well, but Tiffany from OMAAT commented that all of the posts related to airline transfers ending were from the same person. Perhaps someone just wants to cause panic?
84fiero likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.