Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Conversion ratio

If 1:3 isn't a good deal for Starwood->Marriott as several posts here have suggested, then the reverse transaction must be a good deal for SPG fans.If you have Marriott points that can become SPG points, and agree with the Points Guy's valuation, you'll end up with ~ 19% leverage on this arbitrage (2.5/2.1). Not bad if you have Marriott points; just don't go the other way unless you don't mind the haircut.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Visconti
Admittedly, I know virtually nothing about MR properties. From a prior post and reading this morning, the 7 stay and 100+ FF Miles for 230MR points sounds like an excellent value. Will surely look into redeeming that, if I can.
The travel package is one of the better Marriott items. Note that the FF miles do not have to be redeemed to coincide w/ the stay - aka, you book the package above. You'll get the 7-day stay cert. The FF miles drop into the FF program you specified, which you can use at any time or hold onto for a while.

BTW - here's info on the travel packages:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SportsTech
If 1:3 isn't a good deal for Starwood->Marriott as several posts here have suggested, then the reverse transaction must be a good deal for SPG fans.If you have Marriott points that can become SPG points, and agree with the Points Guy's valuation, you'll end up with ~ 19% leverage on this arbitrage (2.5/2.1). Not bad if you have Marriott points; just don't go the other way unless you don't mind the haircut.
Right, which was why it had been prudent to accumulate (100K MR Chase bonus, for example) MR points and spend SPG points, even before any of this had become known. Now, just transfer to SPG and leverage the Rewards program until 2018.

3:1 conversion is as "fair" as can be expected, in my view.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:42 am

It's unclear to me whether a Marriott stay - before program integration - earns SPG Platinum re-qualification points.

"Staying with SPG as much as I can," has to be the smart move.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Sorry if I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone post the new T's and C's.

http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...spg_terms.html
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:46 am

In my view, yes. It hardly seems equitable to just match SPG Gold to MR Gold. Also, I think the MR upper Elites should receive more than basic SPG Plat.

It seems (at least to me) MAR is making an effort to appease the SPG side, at least for the the first year.
That's my take on it as well. If someone is getting Marriott status 'the hard way' (aka, actually staying), it takes 50 nights to get Marriott Gold & 75 nights to get Marriott Plat. SPG Gold & SPG basic Plat are not equivalent to M-G & M-Pl, so the Marriott elite in those categories are getting the short end of the stick at least for the first year.

Which may be one reason for them to continue staying at Marriott properties over SPG properties (or at least for the Marriott golds) for the next year, as they'll still get lounge access at Marriott brands & won't at SPG brands.

I thought most on the thread were saying that the 1:3 was, for the most part, fair?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Do we get a 30,000 bonus for staying at all 30 brands?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Herb687

Have you ever read the free breakfast thread on this board??? SPG's implementation of free breakfast for Plats is an absolute sham.
This is not even remotely accurate. There are still some properties that are overly stingy, but for the most part the benefit is anything but a sham (especially internationally, and at luxury properties in the US).

Most of the St. Regis and Luxury Collection properties in the US provide a full breakfast and almost all of the properties I've visited internationally provide a full breakfast. And a lot of the properties that used to not allow a buy-up from their continental offerings are doing so now.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Also, I think the MR upper Elites should receive more than basic SPG Plat.
I assume by MR upper Elites you are referring to more than just MR Platinum, I note that SPG100's don't get anything more than SPG Plats so it seems like a straight forward grouping for both sides to me.

BTW - 11:50am, EDT - Marriott email received re: the merger.

Cheers.

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by LegalTender
It's unclear to me whether a Marriott stay - before program integration - earns SPG Platinum re-qualification points.
It's stated in the FAQ, the loyalty programs are all separate from each other. If you stay at a Marriot, you earn towards your Marriot account, and vice versa for Starwood.

The only relationship is transferring of points between the 2 programs and the status match.

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Do we get a 30,000 bonus for staying at all 30 brands?
Ah but which points would it be paid in!!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:52 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've already transferred over 504K MR points to 126K SPG points. The only reason I recently got the MR personal and business credit cards was for their massive bonuses with this ultimate outcome. I'm thrilled.

There now are some good MR and RC redemptions based on the value of Starpoints...but not a single one that makes me want to trade my Starpoints into MR points.

As a Plat100 earning 4x points/$1, plus using the SPG Amex to ultimately earn 5x, plus the promo running now that gives me maybe 6-7x, I definitely will be sticking with SPG for 2016 and 2017.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As the SPG Amex is now mentioned in the new MR T's and C's, we can safely assume this credit card is not going away anytime soon. ^
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
They are not matching Lifetime statuses, not during the initial rollout period anyway. This better not be the way the dust will settle when they finalize the combining of the programs. I hope to be wrong, but it suggests to me that those who have speculated on this forum that they will likely give SPG Lifetime Plats a taste of MR Plat but not permantently grant Lifetime status, were probably right.
"Since you’re an SPG Lifetime™ Platinum member, when you link accounts or join Marriott RewardsŪ, you’ll instantly receive Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status and benefits. You’ll continue to enjoy your SPG Lifetime status, and if you’ve already earned Marriott Rewards Lifetime status, you’ll keep that too. Please note that linking accounts will not result in a Lifetime status match in the other program."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.