Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by BarryL
Ok SPG experts. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but according to the FAQ, looks like there is really no benefit (as MR Plat) for me to stay at a Starwood property right? Other than receiving SPG points, with possibility of MR transfer.
Starwood is running a X2weekday/X3 weekends points offer right now, so you could get a pretty nice conversion.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by millere2
I like this also for the UR>Marriott>SPG option to top off points if needed. But is not a great conversion though. Using straight cash value, UR worth min 1 cent each in cash value, so 3 cents to get 1 SPG point. Not great. Many people value URs around 2 cents each, so in that case its a terrible transfer option unless you find some spectacular value award night.
I find that all point valuations are subjective and should be based not just on redemption value but also context of usage; for instance, I'm planning for a two-week stay in Tokyo and could never derive similar value from my UR points as the equivalent cost (Dollars to Yen) for 14 paid nights at the Prince Gallery. There's just no way that I'd be getting proportional savings by transferring to UA or other airlines for flight awards, which would make up a fraction of the overall trip expense; even in biz class. This will basically allow me to dump out my UR into SPG and redeem 14 award nights. The equivalent of which, in paid nights, would otherwise far outweigh any other UR transfer value (of realistic benefit to my immediate travel plans) AFAIK.

EDIT/OOPS: I didn't consider the 3:1 devaluation between Marriott - SPG!

Last edited by OliverB; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:01 am
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
so as a starwood plat dropping to gold out of fear of merge, looks like:

benefits will get watered down, but redemptions will make up for it. since i won't have the top status anymore, i'm ok with this!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The newly updated Marriott iOS app for the iPhone is in the App Store. It has a link to link your accounts.

The timing is interesting because I had thought you must submit your updated apps to Apple 2-3 days in advance. I guess Marriott had zero doubts about the close today!

In case anyone was wondering, no it does not display any Starwood hotels in a reservation search. Nor list Starwood brands under their brand list.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kauppias
this link didn't work for me.

is this for US citizen only?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by FozBoy
should I join Marriot Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards to get matched status ?.... any ideas?
Join first via the online promo that new members got a free night if they stay two nights. Then once you have earned your free night certificate - status match at that point.

The new member promo can also be combined with a refer a friend promo to get bonus points per stay.

Might as well rack up the freebies before matching over. Once you match those opportunities will be lost forever.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
As an SPG Gold from Canadian Plat Amex - I am super happy about this status match. Now Marriott gold (free breakfast) which is better than SPG Gold and I can get an OK ratio to transfer points to Marriott to stay at Ritz Properties (which I prefer to St. Regis).
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For Lifetimers, I think it will be the Marriott LT's who get dumbed down as Marriott will adopt the SPG 75 and 100 tiers which effectively create two tiers above Platinum. And they may very well make those tiers more attractive as a carrot to keep people staying with them for at least 75 nights per year.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by stimpy
The newly updated Marriott iOS app for the iPhone is in the App Store. It has a link to link your accounts.

The timing is interesting because I had thought you must submit your updated apps to Apple 2-3 days in advance. I guess Marriott had zero doubts about the close today!
As far as I know, the developer can specify when a newly updated (and approved) app goes live in the App Store.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Ok SPG experts. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but according to the FAQ, looks like there is really no benefit (as MR Plat) for me to stay at a Starwood property right? Other than receiving SPG points, with possibility of MR transfer.
You are a Starwood Platinum now. If the market you are saying in has a Starwood hotel you prefer (quality of hotel, location, etc) you can earn Marriott points while receiving Starwood Platinum benefits. You won't earn stay credit towards next year's status, but maybe Marriott will combine nights for status purposes next year.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Linked my account to find that apparently I also had a Ritz Carlton account and it had stolen my email from my Marriott Rewards account. So my Marriott Rewards account couldn't log with my email, only my MR#. It showed the proper status for my MR account immediately. A few calls to the call center that didn't go so well. Still haven't been able to link to RewardsPlus to get my United status because the email is now considered too new. The rep said I have to change my earnings profile to get the United status?
IIRC it takes a couple of days for the Marriott/United status match to go through. You don't have to have miles as your earning on Marriott for it to work w/ United. I'd give it a day or two (especially w/ the gazillion things happening today) & then try to link your MR account w/ your UA account.

Originally Posted by kkl
Do we need to choose between Marriot and RC? If so, can Marriot redeem RC awards? Or each program is seperate and we have to choose
Marriott & RC are basically the same, except for the front end. You can not be a member of both at the same time, but you can switch back/forth between them (as some do when the other has a good promo going).

Marriott elites can redeem awards for RC properties & RC members can redeem awards for Marriott properties. Some of the Marriott elite bennies don't transfer to RC - ie, you're not going to get into the RC club lounge unless you pay for it. Unless you plan on staying at RCs a lot (vs. redeeming awards) I'd probably just sign up w/ the Marriott program.

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Won't be that as I have the status and have never had miles as my earnings option with more than 25+ years as a member.

Maybe they mean the system has to show your account as earning within the Marriott program rather than the RC program? While both are really the same programs, they do have different front-end "marketing" differences. Maybe the United offer is for the Marriott "marketing" side and not the RC side.
That's actually my guess/agree w/ you.

Originally Posted by iainbean
Question ; I am SPG plat, and have just linked my Marriott rewards account, and it now shows Plat...But I cannot enrol in the Ritz Carlton programme as it says I already have a Marriott rewards account. Is it better to keep Marriott or change to Ritz?

As I am now Marriott Plat, so I get exact same benefits when staying in a Ritz property as if I am Ritz Plat, therefore it makes no diff?

Also, Marriott plat gets lounge access, does Ritz Plat get lounge access?

Thanks
See my answer above w/ similar question. The programs are basically the same, except for front-end marketing. There are some bennies w/ RC Plat, but I'd have to go back through the program to remember them (or it might be the bennies are from the RC card). With RCs, unless you're paying for club room, you're not going to get access to the club lounge (some rare exceptions aside). RC plats would get lounge access at JW/Ren/Marriott/Delta/Autograph Collection.

You’ll continue to receive SPG benefits at hotels participating in the SPG program and Rewards benefits at hotels participating in the Rewards program. But you can’t earn or use benefits across programs — SPG hotels will not offer Rewards benefits, and Rewards hotels will not offer SPG benefits. You’ll only get your points and benefits at a hotel if you’re enrolled in the program in which that hotel participates, so it’s a good idea to sign up for both SPG and Rewards if you haven’t already. While the programs will remain separate for some time, learn more about how you can gain access to benefits across both programs through Status Match and Points Transfer.
I came to the same conclusion. I'll eventually link my accounts (not rushing to do so today as I don't have any travel for a bit & want to give the initial rush time to die down). Unless a SPG property is in an area there isn't a Marriott or is a lot less, no reason to stay there to earn points that I'd have just have to transfer to the other program. My guess is this will be true on both sides. Of course 2018 it will probably be different.

Originally Posted by frenchft
I'm few nights from SPG 100 this year... any idea if it worth it or if very soon it will become useless?
The two programs aren't combining fully until 2018. If I were you I'd certainly for for SPG100.

Originally Posted by Dasanii
So is it better to link to Marriott or Ritz Carlton as a spg plat?
The programs are the same, except for front-end. If you're going to stay at RCs a lot you might want to go that route. Otherwise I'd just go w/ Marriott.

Originally Posted by username
I wonder if they will combine the Marriott nights with SPG nights when calculating 2017 status... (probably will).
According to the FAQ they won't.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by Adelphos
You are a Starwood Platinum now. If the market you are saying in has a Starwood hotel you prefer (quality of hotel, location, etc) you can earn Marriott points while receiving Starwood Platinum benefits. You won't earn stay credit towards next year's status, but maybe Marriott will combine nights for status purposes next year.
It's the opposite. I've lived Marriott for past 10 years. I like some of the SPG resorts, but if there's no free breakfast or upgrades for MR Plat staying at SPG (no status).

Just my thoughts.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
I posted this in another thread but:

Currently 80k SPG points = 100k AA miles. Now 80k = 240k Marriott.

235k Marriott = 5 nights at a Category 1-5 Marriott + 120k AA miles

Also it's actually slightly better for United miles too at 132k miles.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by codesinvan
As an SPG Gold from Canadian Plat Amex - I am super happy about this status match. Now Marriott gold (free breakfast) which is better than SPG Gold and I can get an OK ratio to transfer points to Marriott to stay at Ritz Properties (which I prefer to St. Regis).
I don't think SPG status gets you free breakfast at Marriotts. From what I read you'd have to qualify MR Gold status before getting any MR benefits.

This new linked program is more like a partnership beteeen separate programs, where you can transfer points.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I don't think SPG status gets you free breakfast at Marriotts. From what I read you'd have to qualify MR Gold status before getting any MR benefits.

This new linked program is more like a partnership beteeen separate programs, where you can transfer points.
Yes/no? If you link accounts which gives you highest status based on the two programs, if you booked at a Marriott w/ the Marriott # you'd get the points/bennies (and vice versa), but you'd have to use the elite # of the property/brand you're staying at. You can't book Marriott w/ SPG# & expect bennies (and vice versa). However, if you then wanted to redeem points for a property in other program you're going to have to transfer the points you earned w/ that stay to the other program.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.