Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Marriott - takes 48 hours now
There's no question that Marriott can benefit from Starwood's vastly superior IT systems, better apps, etc.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Do you mean Marriott or Starwood?

I always get a folio emailed at check out with Starwood. I usually have an emailed folio even before I even awake on my final morning...and yet another emailed folio within an hour or so of check out if anything changed/added.
i get that too at most properties in north america but not for my international stays....
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Marriott - takes 48 hours now
Wow, for SPG they usually send it as soon as I request it when I turn in my key. Email typically arrived before I leave the property.

I hate things I have to check for two days later!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:24 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Until the program merger is complete, expect MR/SPG to do regular sweeps to match linked accounts. So one account may show a longer date once earned but the other will "keep up" with each sweep.
Jumping on the boat half way here...

I was SPG Gold before the merger, then matched to MR Gold after the merger.
I will now soon be SPG Plat, does that mean MR will automatically match it as well? Or do I have to make a request again?
Or maybe matching twice doesn't work?....
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:06 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Jumping on the boat half way here...

I was SPG Gold before the merger, then matched to MR Gold after the merger.
I will now soon be SPG Plat, does that mean MR will automatically match it as well? Or do I have to make a request again?
Or maybe matching twice doesn't work?....
It works without another request - might take a few days to reconcile, but you'll get matched to the corresponding tier in each program with all the benefits.

Hope that helps!

khabah
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:33 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Shouldn't we update the Wiki now?

I just saw on the MR status match page, in the FAQ section, that it now says:

We appreciate your loyalty! We will continue to recognize your existing Lifetime Status in the program where you earned it today, and in any new, combined program in the future. Since Rewards and SPG are still two separate programs, linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program. However, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#wil...a-status-match

English is not my first language but doesn't that says "whatever the new programme will be, we will recognize your LifeTime status"? but that for now, they are still two separate programmes so only the Elite status will be matched?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:06 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

English is not my first language but doesn't that says "whatever the new programme will be, we will recognize your LifeTime status"? but that for now, they are still two separate programmes so only the Elite status will be matched?
Marriott owns Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest; the status match applies between SPG and whichever of the Marriott programs you're enrolled in. If you have lifetime status in one program right now, it will only be recognized in your current program but when the new, global program is created, you'll only have lifetime status across the board then but for now, the elite status is matched.

Looks like you understood right!

khabah
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)

Hmmm, to me this means that MPG Gold will most likely be stripped of most existing (MR Gold) perks and MPG PLT would resemble MR PLT and MPG PLT+ would be like SPG PLT (like breakfast at resorts , lounge access/breakfast at LC StR (maybe RC)) . Needless to say that the requirement of LT tier of MPG PLT+ would be significantly higher than 500 BiB nights maybe 750 or 1K BiB nights or am I reading the tealeaves too pessimistic ?

​​​​​​My reasoning for the above in fact reduction in benefits with respect to tier is because marriott is implicitly saying that no gold will be silver and no platinum will be gold etc., i.e no tier demotion. So you can keep LTG with SPG at the current tier benefits by keeping them Gold in MPG and the bulk of MR Gold can be promoted to Platinum, which will look very similar to MR Gold/Platinum anyway. The bulk of SPG Platinum will stay MPG Platinum and a small proportion of SPG Platinum will be promoted to SPG Platinum Plus and an even smaller percentage of SPG Gold will be promoted to MPG Platinum or MPG Platinum plus if bib nights and/or $-spent is the chosen criteria.

​​​​​​MPG can spin this as we don't demote anybody we just promote....
​​​​

Last edited by X-ON; Jul 10, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by X-ON
Hmmm, to me this means that MPG Gold will most likely be stripped of most existing (MR Gold) perks and MPG PLT would resemble MR PLT and MPG PLT+ would be like SPG PLT (like breakfast at resorts , lounge access/breakfast at LC StR (maybe RC)) . Needless to say that the requirement of LT tier of MPG PLT+ would be significantly higher than 500 BiB nights maybe 750 or 1K BiB nights or am I reading the tealeaves too pessimistic ?
But the truth is we have no idea what the new program will look like. Until it's rolled out we are just guessing what's going to happen. Wild guesses have as much weight as ending up with three different branches like they do now with RC and MR.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
starwood bases it on ADR
And (surprisingly to me) the hotel's forecast/prediction of future ADR.

Marriott uses demand for award nights to determine category.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Exploring SPG after the merger as a lifetime MR Plat. I can't find a reference to any "special rates" as Marriott calls them. In particular I have often used a senior rate (almost always some available) or a government rate while not on government business (as an current government employee). Does SPG have anything comparable?? TYIA
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by melroseman
Exploring SPG after the merger as a lifetime MR Plat. I can't find a reference to any "special rates" as Marriott calls them. In particular I have often used a senior rate (almost always some available) or a government rate while not on government business (as an current government employee). Does SPG have anything comparable?? TYIA
SPG should also have those rates available at most hotels. On the main website, when you get to the "Select Room" page for a hotel click on "Change Rates" with the pencil icon next to it. Several rate options will appear. Default rates have a check mark. Check the ones you want (e.g. Senior & AARP, Government Employee, etc) and uncheck enough so that no more than four are selected (the website's limit) then click "update." If you don't see what you need, wait a bit and eventually a "Can We Help?" box will appear to initiate a chat session. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in starwood's last financials, Q2 2016, starwood still had 6 "other" hotels not under any starwood brand.

one of them (that Q) was owned. its still starwood, not under any brand : tremontchicago.com - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html - starwood/marriott hasnt been able to sell for price they want i guess : chicagobusiness.com/realestate/20150914/CRED03/150919929/amid-soaring-prices-three-more-downtown-hotels-go-up-for-sale - starwood acquired in 1997 for $14m : articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-04-08/business/9704080297_1_debi-ford-starwood-lodging-corp-midland-hotel - so starwood own and manages, but not under any starwood brand. and there was a period where it did not participate in starwood preferred guest, while owned by starwood. interesting this does not say managed/operated : assets.tremontchicago.com/lps/assets/u/Tremont-Chicago-Renovation-release-FINAL.pdf

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28568612-post44.html

starwood and marriott both do not give numbers for design hotels.

looking at marriott investor factbook, some starwood deflags, including sheratons. not sure if some reflag or not?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 16, 2017 at 8:56 pm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by megalab
SPG should also have those rates available at most hotels. On the main website, when you get to the "Select Room" page for a hotel click on "Change Rates" with the pencil icon next to it. Several rate options will appear. Default rates have a check mark. Check the ones you want (e.g. Senior & AARP, Government Employee, etc) and uncheck enough so that no more than four are selected (the website's limit) then click "update." If you don't see what you need, wait a bit and eventually a "Can We Help?" box will appear to initiate a chat session. Hope this helps.
Got it, thanks. I find the SPG site a little less user friendly to navigate. Or maybe just what I am used to.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Is the merger date of the two programs actually 1/1/18?

We all know Marriott is merging the two programs in 2018 but was not sure if it was really Jan 1. I only ask because if it was later in the year I would able to have another year of SPG Platinum before the merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.