Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Another article about the loyalty conference, noting a lack of future emphasis on points. http://blog.wandr.me/2017/02/reducin...wards-program/
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:07 pm

SPG and Marriott Future?

Any speculation to the future of the two programs starting 2018?

Would it be worthwhile for me to MS SPG points throughout the year w/o any surprise devaluation in the loyalty program merger?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
No, there is nothing to speculate about. As with any program, you should earn and burn them--then you never have to worry about devaluations.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What surprise devaluation are you worried about? A 3:1 exchange ratio has already been announced for near-term voluntary exchanges. It would be shocking/stunning if any other ratio was announced for forced conversion at program merger time.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by brosh
Yes. They will both go away and be replaced by a new program.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by brosh
There are lots of posts which speculated about the loyalty programs within days of the announcement by Marriott to acquire Starwood back in November 2015.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
With the Amex SPG card again at an all time signup bonus, I expect there will be a number of these types of questions again.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
What surprise devaluation are you worried about? A 3:1 exchange ratio has already been announced for near-term voluntary exchanges. It would be shocking/stunning if any other ratio was announced for forced conversion at program merger time.
Exactly. 3:1 is set in stone.

It would be a miracle, however, if every single top-end SPG hotel was moved into the current MR award chart that is maxed out at 45K per night (15K SPG).

So, there will likely be a new award chart. I speculate that current high-end Marriotts will cost a lot more points. High-end SPG properties might cost a bit less. I also have a feeling that the lower-end Cat 1/2 SPG properties will slot into the middle (i.e. Cats 4-6) of the current MR chart.

All speculation, however. The current system might be working rather well for Marriott - despite the duplication of some head office resource - since they haven't scared away SPG customers, particularly elites.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif

It would be a miracle, however, if every single top-end SPG hotel was moved into the current MR award chart that is maxed out at 45K per night (15K SPG).

So, there will likely be a new award chart. I speculate that current high-end Marriotts will cost a lot more points. High-end SPG properties might cost a bit less. I also have a feeling that the lower-end Cat 1/2 SPG properties will slot into the middle (i.e. Cats 4-6) of the current MR chart.

All speculation, however. The current system might be working rather well for Marriott - despite the duplication of some head office resource - since they haven't scared away SPG customers, particularly elites.
I agree. I'm certain we'll see category 10, 11, and perhaps 12 hotels, after the programs merge. The other thing I'm concerned about is the transferability (and ratios) to all those airline programs we currently enjoy.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Marriott has usually been good about announcing changes early so that members could make informed decisions throughout the year. It is disappointing that no announcement has been made about the combined 2018 program, given we are currently earning towards 2018 status.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My guess (and it's only that) is that we'll get details by mid-year/early summer. Still allows time for elites to plan. Merging two programs isn't easy, so I'm not surprised that an announcement hasn't been made yet. But I seriously doubt Marriott will wait until the end of 2017 to make an announcement for 2018.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Except for http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi where it states:

Participation in the Rewards Program is subject to the Program Rules, rules, regulations, policies and procedures that the Company may, in its discretion, adopt from time to time. The Company may amend the Program Rules at any time without notice. The Company has the sole discretion to interpret and apply the Program Rules.

bolding mine
And similar terms exist in the SPG T&C's.

Earn and burn quickly is wise advise.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Shrug.

EVERY airline, hotel & car rental program says terms can change w/o notice. That doesn't mean they do on a regular basis. With a merger it would be silly to think that terms would stay the same, but it also doesn't mean they'll tank in every respect.

The earn & burn quickly I'm not necessarily in agreement w/. If folk earn a lot & can redeem awards quickly - that meets their travel requirements - then great. To just burn to try & prevent a possible devaluation is silly IMO. But a lot of folk who earn points aren't earning big #s, so to tell them to burn quickly does them a disservice (again IMO).

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Shrug.

EVERY airline, hotel & car rental program says terms can change w/o notice. That doesn't mean they do on a regular basis. With a merger it would be silly to think that terms would stay the same, but it also doesn't mean they'll tank in every respect.

The earn & burn quickly I'm not necessarily in agreement w/. If folk earn a lot & can redeem awards quickly - that meets their travel requirements - then great. To just burn to try & prevent a possible devaluation is silly IMO. But a lot of folk who earn points aren't earning big #s, so to tell them to burn quickly does them a disservice (again IMO).

Cheers.
Absolutely, if you have a goal in mind that calls for big points, then go for it and save up. But don't be too surprised if that goal keeps moving in higher points required or it going away and having to choose something new. Several have been burned by properties being deflagged or bumped in category or just simple point creep for a category. And let's not forget about other issues that can spoil a trip, weather, war, travel restrictions...

Sitting on a bunch of points "to use someday"... Not so wise IMHO. Everyone needs to assess their risk tolerance and decide what they want to do. Personally, a bunch of small rewards feels better than one big one, but that's me.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:41 pm

Want to accumulate SPG points via MS throughout the year

right now a tier 5 ritz is 70 MR while the highest spg category is 90-105 MR (30-35k SPG)

Interested in SPG hotel categorization into the Marriott tiers and the future of the Amex SPG cards, think you will see a bank transfer of the card ala Amex to Citi Costco?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.