Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:56 pm

What are the thoughts on current PLAT status that ends Feb.2018. For instance if they announced something 2nd or 3rd quarter that changes are happening for 2018. Do you think they will honor the Plat status until the end of Feb.2018 or change it to Dec.31/2017.

I know it's like a crystal ball but I won't be able to reach Plat status this coming year......currently I'm good until Feb.2018 and would like to use some points up in February of next year and take advantage of my Plat status at certain hotels.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Bravada04
What are the thoughts on current PLAT status that ends Feb.2018. For instance if they announced something 2nd or 3rd quarter that changes are happening for 2018. Do you think they will honor the Plat status until the end of Feb.2018 or change it to Dec.31/2017.

I know it's like a crystal ball but I won't be able to reach Plat status this coming year......currently I'm good until Feb.2018 and would like to use some points up in February of next year and take advantage of my Plat status at certain hotels.
Got a coin?

Hoarding points past tomorrow is a gamble. The programs can fold at any time. Yes, not likely, but they have that option. Now depending upon who gets to make the decisions, they could unilaterally extend current status until the end of 2018 and give us time to earn whatever is needed to maintain status after that. The problem is NO ONE KNOWS, all we can do is guess and hope they won't wipe the slates clean and have us all start over.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Terrible Marriot Rewards Staff experience

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Where is the link to get United silver?
I had the same question.
Three MR staff, including a supervisor had no clue!! They kept on directing me to the United website which helps UA elite get MR status, i.e. the linkage the other way around. One staff even got stroppy with me, insisting that is the right place to get UA silver, and then even sent me an email directing me to the same UA website

The Supervisor had even less information. She said she usually googles such questions for answers!!. I said I had found the right website but then it comes up with a Data Base error message. She insisted the problem was because my UA number was not in my MR profile and that I should change my earning preference from MR points to UA miles and provice my UA number ( even if I want to earn MR points and not UA miles for my stays!) in order for the UA silver status to come through

If this is what we are going to get after years of efficient and professional SPG platinum service, God save us all!!!

I only hope the role of Starwood Lurkers in FT is preserved so at least we can turn to them for help in the future after the merger completes.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

again, they do not need to devalue earning status, let alone in 2017, if they devalue the status itself, and clearly there is going to be devaluing, its just a question of details
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
I had the same question.
Three MR staff, including a supervisor had no clue!! They kept on directing me to the United website which helps UA elite get MR status, i.e. the linkage the other way around. One staff even got stroppy with me, insisting that is the right place to get UA silver, and then even sent me an email directing me to the same UA website
I think I signed up through this website:
https://mrrewardsplus.com/

which I found on this page (look for RewardsPlus) while researching what Marriott platinum offerred:
https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...ts/platinum.mi
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The link to sign up for United Silver is in the wiki of this thread

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Bravada04
the likelihood is that the status should last till feb 2018 but who knows whats going to happen when they announce the joint program benefits....
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:44 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by ftrbt
I think I signed up through this website:
https://mrrewardsplus.com/

which I found on this page (look for RewardsPlus) while researching what Marriott platinum offerred:
https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...ts/platinum.mi
Good luck getting it to work. Even the Lurkers are struggling to get me help.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:15 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
So am I missing something here, or if January 01, 2018 is an important date in this merger, it will be the date that major changes are outlined, not actually implemented?

Otherwise, how do we make our travel plans for this year? FI, I am planning to go for 50 nights for sure, almost certainly for 75 nights and am flirting with going for 100. What would be the point if there were no benefits after 12/31/2017?

Yes, I understand that Marriott has the right to do whatever the heck they want to, but every action so far implies that they want to retain SPG elite goodwill. I find it hard to believe that they will squander all of that at the starting gate.

Perhaps I am engaging in wishful thinking, but I found it significant that no major changes were announced last week. Curious if you agree with my thinking.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

damon88, one point is when you reach 75/100 - soon or end of year ?

100 for ambassador may not make sense, as that will not remain unchanged
but there could very well be unknown new benefits, at various night/etc levels

real question is AFTER changes start, whether one maintains same travel
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The link to sign up for United Silver is in the wiki of this thread

Cheers.
I had tried but get a Database error!!

A Database Error Occurred

Error Number: 1048

Column 'usr_state_province' cannot be null
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:49 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
damon88, one point is when you reach 75/100 - soon or end of year ?

100 for ambassador may not make sense, as that will not remain unchanged
but there could very well be unknown new benefits, at various night/etc levels

real question is AFTER changes start, whether one maintains same travel
I may not have been very clear - sorry

Since changes to the program have not been announced yet, I am hoping that means if we attain 50/75/100 in 2017 that the benefits will be extended through 2/28/19

And that program changes will be announced prior to 1/01/2018 so that we can plan accordingly for 2018.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by damon88
So am I missing something here, or if January 01, 2018 is an important date in this merger, it will be the date that major changes are outlined, not actually implemented?

Otherwise, how do we make our travel plans for this year? FI, I am planning to go for 50 nights for sure, almost certainly for 75 nights and am flirting with going for 100. What would be the point if there were no benefits after 12/31/2017?

Yes, I understand that Marriott has the right to do whatever the heck they want to, but every action so far implies that they want to retain SPG elite goodwill. I find it hard to believe that they will squander all of that at the starting gate.

Perhaps I am engaging in wishful thinking, but I found it significant that no major changes were announced last week. Curious if you agree with my thinking.
From the Marriott-Starwood FAQ:

These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.
The wording suggests a combined programs in 2018, but not necessarily on January 1.

It's a near certainty that anyone who qualifies for Gold or Platinum in the legacy programs in 2017 will have that status in the combined program in 2018. (To do otherwise would be very bad business.) Once there's a combined program, that program's thresholds for achieving and keeping elite levels will apply.

It's likely that the combined program will be based on Marriott Rewards. The basic qualification level for Platinum in Rewards is 75 nights. Marriott Rewards does not have the 25/50/75/100 levels of Platinum.

It's also likely the combined program will reflect at least some aspects of SPG. That could include an official, documented level higher than Marriott's current Platinum, in which case 2017 activity could be significant. But none of us know that yet.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:11 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Horace
From the Marriott-Starwood FAQ:

These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.
The wording suggests a combined programs in 2018, but not necessarily on January 1.

It's a near certainty that anyone who qualifies for Gold or Platinum in the legacy programs in 2017 will have that status in the combined program in 2018. (To do otherwise would be very bad business.) Once there's a combined program, that program's thresholds for achieving and keeping elite levels will apply.

It's likely that the combined program will be based on Marriott Rewards. The basic qualification level for Platinum in Rewards is 75 nights. Marriott Rewards does not have the 25/50/75/100 levels of Platinum.

It's also likely the combined program will reflect at least some aspects of SPG. That could include an official, documented level higher than Marriott's current Platinum, in which case 2017 activity could be significant. But none of us know that yet.

It's my fault. I feel as if I am poorly communicating my question. I am not speculating about what the new combined program will be. I am wondering, since no changes have yet been announced, if that means the levels achieved this year (in 2017) under SPG's current program, will be honored through the normal period (i.e. February 2019)

Anything else would seem unfair for all of the people achieving nights/stays in 2017 under the current SPG rules.

I imagine Marriott will need to give plenty of advance notice before new rules apply. I recognize they don't HAVE to, but as I mentioned, they have so far indicated that they value the SPG elites they paid so much to acquire.

It would be different if Marriott had published new rules for 2017 already, but since they haven't, people scheduling travel for 2017 are relying on the published rules as they are now.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

will be honored through the normal period (i.e. February 2019)
expecting no loss of benefits until then is unrealistic

FTers should be maximizing return in 2017
then maximizing return on short term basis

also note their use of "anticipate"

dont recall re past marriott changes, if any without notice

unfair
will need to...they don't HAVE to
SPG elites they paid so much to acquire.
"elites they paid so much to acquire"
seems you are overstating this, as well as making assumptions regarding how elites (who are not on flyertalk) will respond to any changes. as many have said, hyatt for example has many fewer locations. and seems hyatt (and others) have been making cuts to benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.