Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the RC credit card that gives Plat status with $75K spend. The MR credit card gives 15 credits toward status, plu 1 elite credit for every $3K spend.

If you spend a ton without effort, then the RC card (plus its $450 fee) is the easiest way to get SPG vis a vis MR Plat...but only through 2017 for certain. Otherwise, there are less expensive ways to reach SPG Plat--including 25 stays or 50 nights.
That is correct. Much has been said about the Marriott card and achieving Platinum status but that is only available through the Ritz-Carlton card.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
That is correct. Much has been said about the Marriott card and achieving Platinum status but that is only available through the Ritz-Carlton card.
Right, and spending $10K will confer MR Gold status. I know a few who have spent the $75K to achieve MR Plat (some may even be able to MS it), but 1 MR per $ spent isn't a very efficient way to allocate that amount of spend.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
From the T&Cs:
Starpoints earned through an interest in a Vistana™ Signature Experiences property, and Rewards Points earned through an interest in a Marriott Vacation Club® property cannot be transferred between the Programs. . .
Member Account Activity. Transferring points between Programs (i) will constitute activity for purposes of remaining active in the SPG Program, and (ii) will not count as qualified activity for purposes of keeping your points active in the Rewards Program.

Also, transfers are available only in 1000-point increments !
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:13 pm

As a result of this language I am looking forward to a class action legal battle.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Lightbulb FAQs really are a good source of info!!

Most of the posters to this forum have a vested interest in the SPG program.

There has been some wild speculation for months as to how the two programs would initially operate once the merger was consummated.

With that in mind, why don't we read the FAQs (link shown in Wiki) before posting questions that are directly covered in the FAQs?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Brendan
Also, transfers are available only in 1000-point increments !
SPG transfers have had the same requirement for a few months now.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
The million dollar question is whether or not they will combine SPG and Marriott lifetime stays together to come up with lifetime merged status?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tfong007
The million dollar question is whether or not they will combine SPG and Marriott lifetime stays together to come up with lifetime merged status?
And we'll find out - in 6 to 12 months (my estimate).
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:51 pm

St Regis New York

What I am really concerned about is what happens to the 2 weeks that I am entitled to convert of my fractional ownership of a suite at the St Regis New York. Currently this is converted into Starpoints. St Regis New York is not listed on the Vistana Signature Experiences website.

The merger terms say that you can't transfer the points across to the other program for points earned as a result of time shares with Marriott or Vistana.

Not sure if the St Regis New York falls within this category. Fractionals in it weren't sold by Vistana Signature Experiences, rather by SVO which it subsequently acquired.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Opus2009
What I am really concerned about is what happens to the 2 weeks that I am entitled to convert of my fractional ownership of a suite at the St Regis New York. Currently this is converted into Starpoints. St Regis New York is not listed on the Vistana Signature Experiences website.

The merger terms say that you can't transfer the points across to the other program for points earned as a result of time shares with Marriott or Vistana.

Not sure if the St Regis New York falls within this category. Fractionals in it weren't sold by Vistana Signature Experiences, rather by SVO which it subsequently acquired.
Does your current conversion rights have the restriction, similar to the Vistana (and previously SVO) restriction, that the Starpoints expire six years after conversion? If so, I bet they will be treated similarly.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'm not at all interested in staying 7 nights at a MR Category 7 hotel...since most of them are Fairfields, Courtyards, and Residence Inns, along with a few Marriotts and Autograph and scattered Renaissance properties that aren't nearly as good as their brand suggests.

The MR people have been fooled into thinking these are great redemptions..but over half their points go to a 7 night hotel stay that isn't that great in the first place--not aspirational AT ALL. Aside from the fact that most people aren't going to want or need to stay 7 nights. For the average consumer, perhaps that will be fine...but not for the aspirational consumer.
Ha! 360K MR (120K SPG) got me 7 nights in the Rome Grand Hotel Flora (with a suite upgrade) and 120K Delta miles. That's pretty much double what I would have gotten with the equivalent SPG...call it 50K Delta and 7 or 8 nights in a decent Washington DC *wood.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by orca15
Ha! 360K MR (120K SPG) got me 7 nights in the Rome Grand Hotel Flora (with a suite upgrade) and 120K Delta miles. That's pretty much double what I would have gotten with the equivalent SPG...call it 50K Delta and 7 or 8 nights in a decent Washington DC *wood.
Too bad MR is enforcing the Time Share ownership for the 5 day package. 80K SPG for 132K UA? My only question would have been how many times can I do this?

Likewise, I'm going to try and redeem a bunch of 7 day 1-5 (just top off for higher category if necessary). Even if I have to skip on some nights, the 132K UA per pop is worth it.

Last edited by Visconti; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tfong007
Don't forget that Marriott has a points component too (but no mandatory # of years - just nights). SPG has this information (I got an excel file of my transaction history...amazing), and in theory, they could port everything over 1:3.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
SPG PLAT, now RC PLAT.

How different between RC PLAT and MR PLAT? Is it equivalent?

When i stay at MR hotels, do i get treatment like other MR PLAT?

How do i get United Silver? Try the link on page 2 but didn't work. Or this benefit only apply to MR PLAT not RC PLAT?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Agreed. People are worrying needlessly. Marriott isn't about to make the mistake of dropping all the best lifetime SPG customers they just acquired. They are running a for profit business and that would not be a prudent business decision.
Then why aren't they announcing now that LT SPG will be LT Marriott?

That would be a good business decision in part because it would be an ethical decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.