Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Upgrade after First Night

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Hilton, Marriott, Delta, AA, United
Platinum Upgrade after First Night

My wife and I are going to Kauai in a couple of weeks. I've booked a few nights at the Sheraton Kauai for a pretty decent rate. However, the first night, the only rooms available are the garden double bed rooms, while the rest of the stay all of the deluxe oceanfront options are available. I've read that basically every Platinum member who has gone there has gotten upgraded to the oceanfront, but the clause that says "upon checkin when rooms are available for the duration of the stay" has me worried. If there are no upgrades available the first night, am I out of luck the whole trip? Do I need to just go somewhere else the first night and then re-book starting the next day? If I can't get upgraded, then I don't want to stay there, because I can stay next door at Kiahuna Plantation for literally half the cost (but likely buried deep in the garden with no view and no amenities).

I considered booking with points, as we're there for 5 nights, so it would have been 9600 points per night. But the redemption rate was 2-2.5 cents per point and hoping I could do better...and it would wipe out 48k of the 65k points I have. Plus with the upcoming promotion (I'm checking in on the 14th), I can earn another 10k points.

Is it possible to get a confirmed upgrade prior to arriving? Thanks!!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You can book an upgraded room, or use SNA's an know if you've been upgraded 5 days in advance.

If you're asking whether you can get a free "space available, at check-in" upgrade confirmed in advance - no.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
You can book an upgraded room, or use SNA's an know if you've been upgraded 5 days in advance.

If you're asking whether you can get a free "space available, at check-in" upgrade confirmed in advance - no.

I think the OP is asking can he get upgraded room in night 2 of a multi-night stay and the short answer is yes, its possible but you won't know if the hotel can upgrade you until you arrive and ask.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Yes, it is possible to get upgraded after the first night. No, it is not a part of the program.

In short, it can't hurt to ask - but the hotel has no requirement to give it to you. The rule for upgrades is it has to be available when you check in for your entire stay, but hotels can and do go above and beyond (sometimes).
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess the question is should I cancel and rebook starting the night that the other rooms are available? The problem is the night I'd have to cancel we'd have to stay somewhere more inconvenient for that next morning. But am I any more or less likely to get upgraded if I do that?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by neo_781
I think the OP is asking can he get upgraded room in night 2 of a multi-night stay
Originally Posted by olevelo
Is it possible to get a confirmed upgrade prior to arriving?
is an interesting way of asking that question.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP is using SNAs, he could make the first night a separate reservation; SNAs clear independently on different reservations, each starting the fifth day before "arrival" on that reservation. Then if the SNAs clear for the second reservation, the couple would move to the upgraded room starting the second night. Plus, e hotel is likely to try to find an upgraded room for the first night so that they don't have to move.

It's not necessary to take a different hotel for the first night.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:29 am
Original Poster

No, I'm not using SNA. Just regular platinum upgrade.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Just ask...

...we have always been able to get an upgrade if one isn't available on check in day but is later.
To me the corner suites at this property are best.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It's probably different at each property, but if you ask on checkin, it's not at all unlikely that you'll get the upgrade if it's available starting on the second night. At least FD staff will know of your interest and probably make a note in your record, possibly even alert the people who do the room assignments.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
What do you intend to do if you rebook as starting at second night and within the next few weeks the rooms you desire to get upgraded into sell out? I wouldn't bank on anything that's space available at check in and not guaranteed. If the specific room is a must, book it.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlad1101
What do you intend to do if you rebook as starting at second night and within the next few weeks the rooms you desire to get upgraded into sell out? I wouldn't bank on anything that's space available at check in and not guaranteed. If the specific room is a must, book it.
The problem is the upgraded room is prohibitavely expensive which is why we're not booking it directly. Like I said before I can basically get the same rooms next door for half the price (and actually have it reserved already, but have to cancel a couple days prior or pay penalty). It's a tough position. :/
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Good luck. I have stayed at this property 12 times as a lifetime platinum. The last 4 visits no upgrade when attempting to use SNAs. Of the 8 stays with upgrades, 3 were in the building next to the pool ... which is not great.

I am impressed with a previous post mentioning Suite upgrades. Great luck ... maybe it is just me
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by small ring
Good luck. I have stayed at this property 12 times as a lifetime platinum. The last 4 visits no upgrade when attempting to use SNAs. Of the 8 stays with upgrades, 3 were in the building next to the pool ... which is not great.

I am impressed with a previous post mentioning Suite upgrades. Great luck ... maybe it is just me
What's wrong with the building next to the pool? Those are oceanfront right?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Originally Posted by olevelo
What's wrong with the building next to the pool? Those are oceanfront right?
It is ocean front with the pool in between. Main issue is that it is loud and the noise goes late. The other bank of ocean front rooms has a nice lawn in front and much more calm and a nice sunset view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.