Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Klaus K Helsinki, Finland [Left Design Hotels & Bonvoy Jan 2020] [Master Thread]

Klaus K Helsinki, Finland [Left Design Hotels & Bonvoy Jan 2020] [Master Thread]

Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with this property. Got upgraded to their Riiko Sakkinen Suite. Didn't expect this at all as this isn't your regular Starwood Hotel. Design Hotels are not required to upgrade Starwood Platinum guests to suites.

As you guys are all aware, BRG rules state that you have to book the lowest category room to submit a BRG claim. Their lowest category is Passion single bed room that's only 15 square metres. So was hoping to get upgraded to a double bed. Lo and behold, I was surprised my room was a suite.

As for breakfast, I believe all rooms have breakfast included. It's on R floor (reception) and offers salmon, sardines, cold cuts, etc. Have to come early though as the breakfast area is quite small. There's a restaurant called Toscanini on 1st floor, below reception. They also do room service but will charge you 10 euros delivery fee. So might as well go down to pick it up. Prices are standard for Helsinki prices, raging between 20 - 30 euros for 1 plate.

To get here, take the airport train to Helsinki city. That would cost you 5.50 euros. Then you can take a cab from train station to hotel for about 10 euros.

If you want to go to Porvoo (which I did), go to Kampii mall. Underneath that is the bus terminal. Heading to Kampii only takes 10 minutes walk. Tickets to Porvoo would cost 9 euros per way and is air conditioned with free WiFi.

So anyways, happy and thankful for the upgrade. Would go bonkers in a 15 square metre room if I didn't get upgraded!

Definitely will stay here again. Stayed at Hotel Kamp last year and although I love the Kamp, this place suits fine as well :-)

Btw, staffs here are really friendly especially front desk.

Last edited by supatight80; Jul 30, 2016 at 8:36 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Stayed here one night to take use of a free night that was about to expire. Their standard redemption room is the Passion Mini one person room: 15 sqm, 90cm single bed...
The hotel was full (based on web availability), but still an upgrade to Desire room, which is a bit small but ok.

The hotel has 5 specialty rooms such as the Riiko Sakkinen room such as supatight80 mentioned, these are Envy class rooms with unique features. Only 3 real suites, plus some loft rooms with private entrance and room terrace access.

The hotel definitely shows wear, but staff is friendly and the location is good. Breakfast was super busy and they do warn that it gets busy towards the end on weekends. Somewhat limited spread covering all essentials and most of the items were from known small producers.

Uber from airport 25-30 euros, taxi about 45.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I stayed here for three nights as a Gold. In short, it was adequate. I might stay again, but I might not.

I booked and received a Mystical Single -- no upgrade. The size of the room was fine (small, but I knew that), but the use of space was particularly frustrating. There was no desk (a sore spot for the Marriott folks ), just a movable podium large enough for a laptop. There would have been plenty of room for a desk -- a low cabinet mostly holding the minibar took up a disproportionate amount of space. No coffee/tea service in room, though I think they had coffee in the lobby available during the day.

My "limited SPG benefits" should have included two bottles of water daily, but only included one, and only two days. (I didn't push the point because I don't actually care about the water bottles... just mentioning it since some people do.)

The gym was adequate (above average by European standards, but not fancy), and my breakfast experience matches the above posts.

Regarding the train from the airport, you can pick up the #3 or #6 tram from directly in front of the train station and take it two stops to directly in front of the hotel. If your airport ticket is still valid no additional fare is required.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Hi all,

I've just checked in this afternoon for a three nights stay in Klaus K. Bennos comments also go for Platinum members: I've booked the smallest room - no upgrade, even though the hotel sent me an email two days ago that they had upgraded my room type to a loft room. That mail has created some wrong expectations, since it now feels as a downgrade .

If you're here for work, consider booking a bigger room with a desk. My current room has no desk and very limited space, for 170 USD/night.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
I've stayed at this hotel several times since it was the only SPG property in town and was generally pleased with it. The first time I stayed I paid a small upcharge to get one of the Loft rooms which was nice. The second time I was automatically upgraded to a Sky Loft room. The most recent time I stayed, I did a BRG for a passion room and was upgraded to an Envy room (I think).

I generally liked the rooms, although I wished the Envy room had a proper desk. It was weird working on my laptop on the strange bedside podium while sitting on the bed.

If you are staying here, I would definitely try to do a BRG. My second stay that was booked last minute I did not, but got a last minute rate of ~120EUR/night. On my most recent stay, with a BRG + 20% off, I was able to knock the rate down to about ~78EUR/night.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, RC Platinum, SPG Platinum, SA Silver, OW Ruby, TSA Pre-Check
Thumbs up

I visited Helsinki for the first time last September and stayed at this hotel. Let's just say I really regretted not checking in earlier because this was one of the best hotel experience I've ever had. Friendly staffs, and I got upgraded from the Passion Mini to the Envy King (which is pretty much a junior suite) without any SPG status (booked through hotels.com). Looking at their website, they also have a good variety of interesting rooms and suites.

Overall, the hotel was pretty cozy, but for me the highlight was the breakfast. I've had plenty of hotel breakfasts, be it at executive lounges of other hotels or club lounges at Ritz-Carlton, the breakfast at Klaus K seriously put them all the shame. The buffet was an actual feast, with your typical hot food, to cheese, to local delicacies and homemade yogurt and jam. It's no surprise that their breakfast had actually won awards! And I didn't even know the hotel was part of SPG when I first stayed there, but now that I know, that's going to be the hotel to stay the next time I visit Finland.

Last edited by Immortalist; Jan 14, 2017 at 12:17 am Reason: Got the names of the rooms wrong
Old May 20, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Good Plat recognition + Breaking News

After four stays so far this year, Klaus K continues to impress on several fronts:
  • Very friendly staff every time
  • Regular upgrades (4 out of 4) to different sky loft/suite rooms
  • In the absence of a lounge, a free drink in the bar (per pax, per day)

Last year, before Klaus K joined SPG, we were shocked to see how small a double room can be. Now with Plat recognition, the Sky rooms are generously spacious.

I agree with Immortalist about the nice breakfast, but partly because I tend to focus on the cold items. The hot food includes porridge, cooked eggs and sausages - that's it. Omelettes can be order for extra charge.

Breaking news:

Helsinki will get its second SPG property just one block from Klaus K: Hotel St. George is opening in early 2018 and will be a member of Design hotels. I have not seen any announcements (nor did Google return anything) about the SPG affiliation, but their website shows the SPG logo.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:05 pm

Stayed here for two nights as Plat last week. Booked the passion single and was upgraded to the Sky Loft with Terrace. I really liked the room and location, and although you could transfer to the Tram, I was able to walk to the hotel from the main train station with my luggage (though my rollaboard mixed with the cobblestones were a bit loud). Not much of interaction with the staff, but the little that I did have was efficient and accurate.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK EP/*G, DL D, IH AMB/D/IC, HH D, CR D, FoundersCd, Sixt P, NTL EE, Hz 5*
I have two one-night stays here a week apart in August. One was during some kind of high-occupancy EUR 400/night period, so I used 10k points redemption. The other has EUR 115 w/o breakfast an EUR 130 with breakfast -- does the hotel offer breakfast on all rates to Platinum, or should I go with the 130 rate? (or is the hotel breakfast not worth ~12 EUR, factoring in the points I earn as P100+SPG amex on 15 EUR incremental spend)?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I have two one-night stays here a week apart in August. One was during some kind of high-occupancy EUR 400/night period, so I used 10k points redemption. The other has EUR 115 w/o breakfast an EUR 130 with breakfast -- does the hotel offer breakfast on all rates to Platinum, or should I go with the 130 rate? (or is the hotel breakfast not worth ~12 EUR, factoring in the points I earn as P100+SPG amex on 15 EUR incremental spend)?
Given that this is a Design Hotel and breakfast is not an official benefit, I would assume you will need to pay for it. I don't see any confirmed free breakfast upgrades in this thread, but it remains unclear.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
Given that this is a Design Hotel and breakfast is not an official benefit, I would assume you will need to pay for it. I don't see any confirmed free breakfast upgrades in this thread, but it remains unclear.
When I stayed, it was specifically mentioned at check-in that the breakfast was still not included even though I received a fairly substantial upgrade.

I can't comment on the value since I didn't go over and look at the morning spread.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK EP/*G, DL D, IH AMB/D/IC, HH D, CR D, FoundersCd, Sixt P, NTL EE, Hz 5*
I stayed (and am staying again in a week) -- on points, and got upgraded to a Skyloft.

Really nice property, and great location. The breakfast was EUR 15 paid at checkin, and really big on "authentic/local food from Finland" -- which was more than worth it.

The only thing I didn't like was how the electric switches work in the room -- they're not really very intuitive as far as turning on the room overall, turning lights on in the bathroom, etc.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Breaking news:

Helsinki will get its second SPG property just one block from Klaus K: Hotel St. George is opening in early 2018 and will be a member of Design hotels. I have not seen any announcements (nor did Google return anything) about the SPG affiliation, but their website shows the SPG logo.[/QUOTE]

Is this confirmed? Originally I heard it rumoured that George V would be a Luxury Collection branded hotel but now I see the design hotels logo on their page. In any case, it doesn't show up on an SPG search for April even though they should be open in January. Anyone know any more colour on this?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
St George looks like an exciting old building to stay at. Shame it's not available when I'm planning my first time stay in Helsinki, during new new years eve.
So have a reservation at Klaus for three nights and went for the Envy room. Didn't dare to pick the cheaper much smaller rooms considering new years eve and all. Bit pricey, 250€ inc brekfast and flex. Will see if the rate goes down a bit, usually it does during october-december when it comes to new years eve rates.
Haven't found any lower 3rd party rates but this is a design hotel so the brg is on crappy terms already.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Needs renovation

I just completed a two night stay at this location. The Klaus K is in definite need of a renovation. I was in a passion double - no upgrades available though my Platinum status was acknowledged. Breakfast was included in the rate. The room is very small, but true to its description - can't fault them at all for that - they describe right up front that it is a space to sleep before heading out the next day - and that is what it is. Of the positive reviews above, I do note that most if not all involved an upgraded room. The size of the room was not really the problem, it was the overall condition and cleanliness of the property. The bathroom, (typical European all in one bathroom where the shower gets the whole room wet) was high school locker room clean. I wore the freebie sandals the entire time. I am not a fan of the wall mounted shampoo dispensers even if it is Malin-Goetz. There were stacks of dirty room service dishes in each hall alcove throughout our stay. Basically, the chic design approach only works when it is fresh and new - old and worn isn't shabby chic, it is just old and worn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.