Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

which Barcelona property? [for a family stay with a 20-month old child]

Old Jul 15, 16, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

I am visiting Barcelona in November with my wife and son who will then be about 20 months old. We are staying for about a week and despite my inclination, she would prefer to stay in one hotel the whole week! Which hotel would be best situated for getting around town, seeing sights and enjoying Barcelona while giving a good, comfortable environment for the baby? If there is a Barcelona comparison thread that I missed, sorry!
Old Jul 15, 16, 9:47 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, AA*EXP, VA-Plat, Marriott*LTPP, Hyatt*Globalist That's*Enough
There is a Barcelona comparison thread.
I picked Le Meridien over W because of location for the reasons you have described
Old Jul 15, 16, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The W is a nice beach hotel in a stunning architectural building. It is not super far from transit to attractions. But it has the typical W characteristics, good and bad.

Le Meridien, in my view, is far superior for a couple with toddler in tow. Right in the center on Las Ramblas, yet a little pushed back so that nightlife noise is not overwhelming. Perfectly fine rooms, not W cutting edge but still nice. Good staff. The Metro stations 'Liceu' and 'Catalyuna' are steps away, as are shopping at Catalyuna Plaza, so easy access to visitor attractions.

And, just around from the hotel entrance is a Carrefour grocery market, which could be quite handy when you need milk, juice, etc for your boy.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 15, 16 at 10:36 pm
Old Jul 16, 16, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
I've stayed at the W and the Four Points. The W is definitely in a dramatic location and a beautiful hotel, but you will have a walk to any transit other than the tram across the water.
The Four Points is close to transit, but a long walk to most of the tourist sites. It will have the advantage of shopping near by for the times you stay in or need things for your child, but it is definitely a work, not a play hotel.

I haven't stayed at Le Meridien, but I can definitely vouch for the centralness of the location. Given what you've mentioned, that would be my first choice.
Old Jul 16, 16, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be aware that at the LM there's a half-plus flight of stairs at the entrance and another half-minus flight of stairs from the front desk to the elevators going to rooms. I also remember a few stairs around the restaurant andd bar. This wouldn't be fun with a stroller.
Old Jul 16, 16, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), UA Platinum (1mm), HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I agree with those that have suggested the LM. Excellent location and likely more child friendly than the W.
Old Jul 16, 16, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The Four Points is by far your best bet.

The W is far away from everything except the beach, including transit. And it tries to be a party hotspot, not a quiet refuge for a young family. Le Meridien is in the middle of things on the Ramblas, but you're also nowhere near parks, the beach etc. so your toddler is going to have nowhere to just run around a bit.

While the Four Points is admittedly not the nicest of the three hotels (although much better than your standard US 4Points), you are in Poblenou, which is just a regular neighborhood with a non-touristy rambla/boulevard, lots of supermarkets and restaurants and just much less stressful. And you are still within walking distance of two metro lines and buses/trams right outside the hotel door. With Platinum status you should get one of the corner rooms, with lots of room for a crib/rollaway.
Old Jul 16, 16, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

some great tips and thoughts all....has anybody tried out the Grand Hotel Central Barcelona from the new design hotels?
Old Jul 17, 16, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ethang801 View Post
some great tips and thoughts all....has anybody tried out the Grand Hotel Central Barcelona from the new design hotels?
The lack of Platinum benefits can be a problem for some, and I found the rooms to be a bit small, even though I was supposedly upgraded. But definitely a "classic luxury" type of hotel in a good location for the Born district with its restaurants and tapas bars.
Old Jul 18, 16, 12:25 am

Definitely the le meridian with its central location. It's quick to pop back to the hotel for the toddler's afternoon nap. Spend a little bit more points for a junior suite (think you have to call to find this availability). I can't remember how much they charged, maybe only 3000points more than a regular room. Definitely worth it. Not sure if we got a further upgrade or not, We ended up with a suite with a door separating the bedroom and living room. It was on the 7?th floor overlooking the beautiful city. It was so great waiting for the little one to nap while sipping a glass of wine on the balcony overlooking the city. The only thing about this location is that it's not near a park. But there is some green space at the Plaça de Catalunya a couple of blocks away for kids to run around.
Saw the W and it was way too far from the attractions.
Old Jul 18, 16, 9:54 am

Programs: UA - Global Services 1MM; Marriott - Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium; Hertz - President's Circle
I'm pretty down on the LM Barcelona after my most recent stay. Didn't do much for platinum recognition. My advice would be that if you can get a Jr. Suite or larger arranged prior to your arrival, it's the best bet in terms of location and space. If you can't (which is highly likely in-season) I'd go elsewhere. The standard rooms are so small you'll be tripping all over your 20 mo old during your stay - think no place for a 20 mo / old to sleep that's further than 3 feet away from your bed. In that case I'd follow others' recommendations around the W or 4P.
Old Jul 20, 16, 9:54 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I would also go with the Four Points; I've done the walk to the beach from there, and runs down Diagonal (also to the beach / marina), and it's a nice pleasant area to stay in. If you're brining a stroller as well, you'll have more space to maneuver around than you'd have in the old city with the LM.

Rooms aren't spectacular (and don't get the rooms under the gym - had that for a week and people love to drop the barbells), but it should have enough room for your son.
Old Jul 20, 16, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4P - get the corner room - it is a very good size room and you can easily get a crib there without feeling cramped.

4P also is in a "local" neighborhood that is far from the touristy parts of Barcelona.

Tram stations is within 3 min of walk from front door on both directions. About 10 min walk you can go to the train station on the Direct line to/from airport.

The walk along a promenade with large trees down to the beach is about 15 that goes thru lively roadside cafes and restaurants the locals frequent - then you are at the beaches with family playgrounds etc. The beach is connected all the way to the beach where W is located by the way. A little bit further towards the old city end, there is a McD right by the beach with outdoor seating on terraces. There are people spent time there reading a book, playing some games or just relaxing, enjoying the view and sea breeze. Hilton Diagonal is nearby.

We have been in Barcelona over a doz times and 4P by far is our favorite hotel in Barcelona even occasionally we would still do some touristy things.
Old Oct 1, 16, 1:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, BA Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
The lack of Platinum benefits can be a problem for some, and I found the rooms to be a bit small, even though I was supposedly upgraded. But definitely a "classic luxury" type of hotel in a good location for the Born district with its restaurants and tapas bars.
I didn't find any feedback on how the handle plat breakfast and upgrades on the forum yet. i think will be no lounge or anything like that. could you share your impressions?
Found a quite good BRG, so i am not sure if i should take it or not...
Old Oct 1, 16, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Riddell View Post
I didn't find any feedback on how the handle plat breakfast and upgrades on the forum yet. i think will be no lounge or anything like that. could you share your impressions?
Found a quite good BRG, so i am not sure if i should take it or not...
There is no free breakfast for Plats at Design hotels. You get points automatically. I went for a coffee outside rather than paying for the hotel breakfast. The hotel does have a great location so you're not tied by any means to eating at the hotel.

I'd have to stay a few more times to know whether I was actually upgraded, or whether I was just told that I was upgraded. No lounge of course. It's basically a boutique hotel that happens to let you use/earn SPG points.

I've only stayed the once as I much prefer the 4P (due to price and that most of the staff know me so treat me quite well), but my impression is that hotels such as these are best for the occasional traveler with a few points to spend on a boutique hotel experience. Elites might have different expectations that are more likely to be met at a regular SPG hotel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: