Search

Second Guest Stay Free?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:26 pm
V9
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Second Guest Stay Free?

In many countries outside the US, double occupancy is more expensive than single occupancy, sometimes almost 2x the single rate. Therefore 2rd guest stays free becomes an important benefit for loyal guest members. I looked the T&C of spg, but fail to see that benefit. As a spg member for many years (starting with Sheraton and Westin separately) and now a Life Platinum, I remotely remember that it was a member benefit. I don't see that in Marriott Rewards either. Only in HHonors they specifically state that's a benefit for all HH members.

Does anyone know this?

Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is not an SPG benefit at any level. Everyone has to follow the same occupancy rules. Awards are always for double-occupancy.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

There a handful of European hotels that still have single rooms. It's important to book for 2 so that you don't find yourself in a room meant for one.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:47 pm
V9
Original Poster

Actually most Japanese hotels treat single and double differently. Double is 1.5 to 1.8 times more than a single rate.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:48 pm

If you have a specific SPG example in mind, please cite it. I've seen some moderate differences in some rates when the room is booked for 1 vs 2 or more people, but usually nowhere near 1.5x - 1.8x.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
I wonder if I book a single room, if I will get upgraded to a 'normal' room.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by V9
Actually most Japanese hotels treat single and double differently. Double is 1.5 to 1.8 times more than a single rate.
I suspect those are likely different room categories. Some international properties have single rooms which only allow single occupancy.

Originally Posted by miloworld
You may or you may not. It all depends.

Last edited by TerryK; Jul 5, 2016 at 7:11 am
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by V9
In many countries outside the US, double occupancy is more expensive than single occupancy, sometimes almost 2x the single rate.
I'm sensing that FT members in countries outside the US aren't relating to this : can you cite any examples where double occupancy is nearly 2x the price ?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by miloworld
I have seen FTers report that they did not. I remember one such report at the Dom in Cologne. (It is no longer part of the Starwood chain.) I think there was a similar report at one of the Venice hotels. Beware of booking rooms with single beds.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:43 am
V9
Original Poster

e.g.
Nagoya Westin, 8/12 Fri, one double bed, s.r. 15200; d.r. 20900
2 semi-double beds, s.r. 17100, d.r. 22800
The lowest cat., specified "single occupancy only", is 11700 - Here comes the ratio 1.8: the lowest double rate to lowest single rate

Quite a difference

Of course, as an elite, you might be upgraded to a higher cat. room, but occupancy wise, can they let you have a second guest free?

Last edited by V9; Jul 5, 2016 at 11:15 am
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by V9
Of course, as an elite, you might be upgraded to a higher cat. room, but occupancy wise, can they let you have a second guest free?
I saw a TripAdvisor review about a hotel I was considering in Europe. The reviewer was bitterly complaining about having to pay an additional fee. The hotel responded that the person had booked for one, and the additional amount was due for the second guest.

As always, your experience will vary by hotel and the person who checks you in.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There a handful of European hotels that still have single rooms. It's important to book for 2 so that you don't find yourself in a room meant for one.
I seem to recall that the Pulitzer in Amsterdam fell into this category.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by V9
e.g.
Nagoya Westin, 8/12 Fri, one double bed, s.r. 15200; d.r. 20900
2 semi-double beds, s.r. 17100, d.r. 22800
The lowest cat., specified "single occupancy only", is 11700 - Here comes the ratio 1.8: the lowest double rate to lowest single rate

Quite a difference

While I agree with the frustration, I don't think the comparison is correct, or fair. The "single occupancy only" room is just that - a room that can only hold one person, with one semi-double bed. A semi-double is barely bigger than a twin, so the hotel has classified this as being only valid for one person. I've only come across a semi-double a couple times, always in Asia, but I totally agree with the hotel that it's not for 2 people. Certain situations aside, of course

So the valid comparison is what the hotel is charging for the *same room type* for 1 person vs 2. There is definitely a difference at the Westin Nagoya, as you found - they appear to tack on JPY5200 for the 2nd person. Not at all arguing that this is fair, as there's really no added benefits and thus costs associated with the 2nd person, so it seems a bit absurd.

But this is "only" a 33-38% increase for your dates, not 80%. You can't compare it to a different room type for which you're not eligible.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:24 pm

This is a good example (in Japan in Asia) of how the extra costing is viewed.

http://deals.westin.com/Westin-Tokyo...SOP_US_WI_1062

Extra Bed Free!

Discover the picturesque views from our guestroom.
The room charge is the same from one to three people.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I've seen a single occupancy room only once in my life, 10-15 years ago at the Intercontinental in Rome, at the top of the Spanish Steps next to the Hassler. I got the cheapest room; it was essentially a large closet with a single bed (and lots of marble in the bathroom).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.