Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Promo : 35% bonus BA Avios when transferring Starpoints, to 5 Jul 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Eligible Participants will receive up to 35% more BAEC Avios ("Bonus Avios") when they convert Qualifying Hotel Loyalty Points into Avios during the Qualifying Period. "Qualifying Hotel Loyalty Points" means a minimum of requirement of loyalty points earned through the Hotel Loyalty Programme. Minimum amounts vary between hotel partners: Club Carlson - 2,000 points; Hilton HHonors - 10,000; Hyatt Gold Passport – 5,000; IHG Rewards – 10,000; Marriott Rewards – 10,000; Shangri-La Golden Circle – 2,500 and Starwood Preferred Guest – 2,500.

"Qualifying Period" means: Between 20th June and 5th July 2016 for Club Carlson, Hilton HHonors, Hyatt Gold Passport, IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards, Shangri-La Golden Circle and Starwood Preferred Guest

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jun 20, 2016 at 4:51 am
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:53 pm

Guess who just cashed out 35K SPG points on Saturday... I wonder if the 1.35x multiplier is applied on top of the Starwood bonus or not. If so, that's one heck of a deal.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by redct
I wonder if the 1.35x multiplier is applied on top of the Starwood bonus or not. If so, that's one heck of a deal.
I guess that will only become clear when the bonus posts some weeks later but I would be surprised if the 35% is applied to the 25% bonus as well. Worse case scenario would be that you get one or the other.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:46 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Any link or definition of "eligible participants"?

Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Any link or definition of "eligible participants"?

Thanks.
I can't find a link to a promo page in the email I got from BA, but I did find this at the bottom :

This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a person aged 18 or over, is a British Airways Executive Club ("BAEC") Member (membership terms and conditions apply) and is enrolled and registered with one of the participating hotel partner loyalty programmes.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by redct
Guess who just cashed out 35K SPG points on Saturday... I wonder if the 1.35x multiplier is applied on top of the Starwood bonus or not. If so, that's one heck of a deal.
I am pretty sure it does. I've transferred SPG to Avios before in the past and i get the BA bonus plus the 25% bonus from SPG. From BA's perspective, you are transferring 25,000 SPG points into Avios, not 20,000.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Eligible Participants will receive up to 35% more BAEC Avios ("Bonus Avios") when they convert Qualifying Hotel Loyalty Points into Avios during the Qualifying Period.
How do the value of Avios compare to AA miles? I am considering joining BAEC and am trying to compare with AAdvantage.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
How do the value of Avios compare to AA miles? I am considering joining BAEC and am trying to compare with AAdvantage.
As ever, it depends.

Both programmes have their 'hotspots' although AA's are as hot as they were a few months back but for long haul still superior in my view. IME BAEC is very good for short haul 'Reward Flight Savers' (RFS) but if you aren't UK based that benefit will be somewhat limited.

As a result, anybody considering switching to BAEC needs to closely assess their travel patterns before doing so.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:20 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I can't find a link to a promo page in the email I got from BA, but I did find this at the bottom :
Thanks. I just transferred 20k out. Let's see what credits to BAEC!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
If you're not familiar with BAEC, tread carefully. Surcharges are high and award levels are too. For example, most US cities to London are 200,000 miles for a round trip ticket in First class. But there are cheaper off-peak awards and the northeast is cheaper (160,000; even less for off-peak). And there are a LOT of dates that are off peak.

Plus those "free" tickets can carry fees and taxes of over $1000. And if you want to go on to somewhere else in Europe (or if you need to connect to a BA gateway in the US from a smaller city) then even more points are needed.

On the other hand, since tickets are priced per leg by distance, short haul flights can be a good deal. Not as good as they were before the latest devaluations when you could get a round trip for 9,000 points for flights under 500 miles but there are still some values to be had.

The point is, you need to be familiar with the program and know what you want to redeem for before transferring SPG points.

If you're already a member of the Exec Club and need more points for an award, then obviously you know what you are doing. Personally, I have plenty of BA Avios, can never find upgrade space on the flights I want, and am always short of hotel points for vacations. So this isn't a deal I will take, but others may find it attractive.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:38 pm

Re: July 5th deadline

Is it the date you initiate the transfer or the date the transfer must post w/ BA?

Anyone know this? I've searched around and can't find a definitive answer.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
Is it the date you initiate the transfer or the date the transfer must post w/ BA?
Since it's BA providing the bonus, I would assume it's the date they need to post by.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: BA,Amex,Hilton,Hyatt,SPG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since it's BA providing the bonus, I would assume it's the date they need to post by.
Nope, it's the date when you initiated the transfer of points/miles since you don't have any influence when the transferred points/miles will be posted into your BA Executive account.
(But it could be, that you'll have to ask for the bonus afterwards.)
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Dennis
Nope, it's the date when you initiated the transfer of points/miles since you don't have any influence when the transferred points/miles will be posted into your BA Executive account.
(But it could be, that you'll have to ask for the bonus afterwards.)
Yeah, it would be weird because the promotion runs from June 20 to July 5. If it was the date that BA receives the points, then the only way to make the June 20 date is to transfer before June 20 w/o knowing about the actual promotion (unless the promotion was announced beforehand).

But then, it would be pretty much impossible to time it perfectly to make the June 20 date. Do you transfer on June 1? June 2? What if you transfer on June 1 and it posts on June 15? It doesn't fall within the promotional period.

I don't think it's was a well thought out promotion regarding the dates.

Last edited by travelbarefeet; Jun 26, 2016 at 7:54 am
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Dennis
Nope, it's the date when you initiated the transfer of points/miles
Do you have a reference? How would BA know when you initiated the transfer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.