Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood Might Want to Update the Swan & Dolphin Site Photos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum

Given the tragedy at the Grand Floridian, Starwood may want to update its photos for the property that shows about 5 young children playing in the sand at the shore of one of the Disney lakes. Clearly, these lakes are not safe for play, and this photo just sends the wrong message.

Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Perhaps you want to email the property and suggest they remove it from the gallery?

[email protected]
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GoCanes
Clearly, these lakes are not safe for play, and this photo just sends the wrong message.
BIG to this. While the incident is certainly very tragic, this was an extremely freak occurrence. The children on the man made beach are well away from the water, while the children in the swan boat are wearing life jackets.

This suggestion is akin to having a property pull down exterior photos because someone once jumped off a balcony, or for a town to no longer post pictures of a public park because someone once was struck by lightening.

I just think this is quite an alarmist reaction to what is admittedly a very sad, but extraordinarily unlikely, situation.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by miloworld
Perhaps you want to email the property and suggest they remove it from the gallery?

[email protected]
Originally Posted by vandalby
BIG to this. While the incident is certainly very tragic, this was an extremely freak occurrence. The children on the man made beach are well away from the water, while the children in the swan boat are wearing life jackets.

This suggestion is akin to having a property pull down exterior photos because someone once jumped off a balcony, or for a town to no longer post pictures of a public park because someone once was struck by lightening.

I just think this is quite an alarmist reaction to what is admittedly a very sad, but extraordinarily unlikely, situation.
100% agree.

Given the tragedy at the Grand Floridian, Starwood may want to update its photos for the property that shows about 5 young children playing in the sand at the shore of one of the Disney lakes. Clearly, these lakes are not safe for play, and this photo just sends the wrong message.

Clearly? Is there something publicly available, not including the recent issue, that indicates all pools and lakes are unsafe?

Honestly, the property has to market itself fully.

The bigger problem is the outdated photos on the site!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:30 am

The "beach" at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin hotels is located on a very small body of water. Check out this aerial photo courtesy of Bing Maps:

Link to map: http://binged.it/1tBTDq8

While I don't know with 100% certainty, I think it's fairly reasonable to believe that there are no alligators in that pond. There wouldn't be a lot for the gator to eat. Additionally, for it to get to that water, the gator would have to take a fairly long walk along concrete pathways.

There is no need for the hotel to remove this photo, as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
WDW has closed all of its beaches... I assume the Swan and Dolphin beaches are closed as well.

It is very possible and easy for a gator to get in this lake likely through a number of connected tunnel systems throughout the resort. To think a small body of water would not house a gator is not logical. Many, many small bodies of water near highways have gators that live in them. So it is quite possible this small body of water could have one.

I have small kids, and to think that these beaches are 100% safe at water's edge is just misleading. I think playing farther in on the beach is safer given the recent situation. It is because of representations like this, that the beaches were safe to play and wade in the water, is why this family suffered an unspeakable tragedy.

I think the appropriate thing for Starwood would be to take the photo down and shoot another photo not near the water's edge.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Odd...don't find the picture offensive OR insensitive. In the slightest.

Such a freak occurrence... take it from a Floridian who sees gators almost daily.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:42 pm

^

Agreed. I take more issue with that dirty mucky water being a beach.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
WDW has closed all of its beaches... I assume the Swan and Dolphin beaches are closed as well.

It is very possible and easy for a gator to get in this lake likely through a number of connected tunnel systems throughout the resort. To think a small body of water would not house a gator is not logical. Many, many small bodies of water near highways have gators that live in them. So it is quite possible this small body of water could have one.

I have small kids, and to think that these beaches are 100% safe at water's edge is just misleading. I think playing farther in on the beach is safer given the recent situation. It is because of representations like this, that the beaches were safe to play and wade in the water, is why this family suffered an unspeakable tragedy.

I think the appropriate thing for Starwood would be to take the photo down and shoot another photo not near the water's edge.
Well, while we're at it, I've personally stayed at the Swan / Dolphin as recently as April and know that it's not much more than 100 feet across the beach from the pond to the swimming pool, and that the pool is at beach level...an avenue an alligator could easily traverse. I've also seen pictures of alligators in swimming pools on the internet.

Clearly, the Swan / Dolphin suggesting the swimming pools are 100% safe is just misleading. We better pull those down too.

I'm also terribly concerned by this representation of Mickey and Minnie Mouse so closely to this alligator-infested tributary.

Imagine the crippling blow to the national psyche in the event of an alligator-derived mouse-snatching.

Additionally, this beach is clearly not safe for hosting high-level executive meetings. I think we can all agree it best that the below is struck from this property's website:

Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:47 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
^

Agreed. I take more issue with that dirty mucky water being a beach.
Probably a breeding ground for a zika infested mosquito!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Probably a breeding ground for a zika infested mosquito!
Please don't give the lawyers any more ideas
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:45 pm

Having walked that beach with my young children hundreds and hundreds of times, I have no concerns whatsoever. I will continue to remain vigilant for any dangers but I would not hesitate to keep enjoying this property.

And, re: one of the up thread posts, since there has never been any pond swimming allowed at the S/D, closing it is a mute point.

The fact of the matter is - as horrific as the Grand Floridian incident was - there is a far greater risk of dying from sun stoke at Disney than by gator.

Cheers,

Cheers,
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:09 am

It appears that the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort recognizes that the chance an alligator will show up on their beach is quite minute. They will be hosting a special event soon:

Activities include:
  • Master Sand Sculpture Demonstrations
  • Sand Sculpting Classes
  • Speed Sand Demonstrations
  • DJ Dance in the Sand Party
  • Cinema on the Sand
  • And more!

Lots more information about this event can be found on the Swan/Dolphin website: http://www.swandolphin.com/sandtastic/
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:36 am

I was thinking the same thing when I got this email. They do this every year. With any luck, we'll be there on those dates!

Cheers,
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
to think that these beaches are 100% safe at water's edge is just misleading.
Nobody said they were 100% safe. Nothing in the world is 100% safe. The only way to achieve 100% safety is to be dead.

Additionally, this beach is clearly not safe for hosting high-level executive meetings. I think we can all agree it best that the below is struck from this property's website:
Actually, I think all major financial company CEOs should be encouraged to attend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.