FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   My simple BRG tool (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1771395-my-simple-brg-tool.html)

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 2:48 am

My simple BRG tool

Hi, guys. I just made a small tool to search BRGs. I'm still developing, so there might be some bugs. Currently the usage of my tool is pretty complicated, which means you need to TYPE in all necessary fields of the search form. I will focus on user friendly later on.
Please note that:
1. Use the items on the left column of country and state list, here is the link to two lists: https://github.com/coderU/lists. So that you need to type "united states" instead of "us", "taiwan, province of china" instead of "taiwan".etc (I just download these lists so I'm not involved in the country name problems).

2. You need to type the date in the exact format I provided on the website.

3. "Some error when mapping official hotel name to compete site" means there is a error of finding the hotel price on third party website, basically because hotel names do not match (about 40%). I will keep update the mapping list.

4. This website is not 100% that you can get a BRG approval, and price I fetch might not 100% accurate.

5. Please use simple password when you are registering, I didn't pay much attention to the security part of this website.

6. Please do not abuse this tool!!

And here comes the link to my tool;): justbrg.com.
Save your time and enjoy your BRG.

Updates:
6/10/2016: Added Point Usage section for best available point usage.
6/10/2016: (Third party has detected unusal traffic)It seems that the third party website: hotelscombined.com has prohibited the traffic from my proxy server (amazon aws). I will try to solve it ASAP!
6/11/2016: Fix the BRG LINK problem.
6/12/2016: I decide to open source my code in case that some websites prohibit my servers, so that someone can setup there own BRG tool. The link is https://github.com/uriel888/justbrg (08/11/2016): I choose the make the code private now, because there is the risk of being blocked by source websites by making them public.
6/15/2016: Currently focus on moving things out of my apartment, might delay the update (Finished 7/11/2016)
7/11/2016: Improving search User experience, you can now select date, country and states.
7/23/2016: (IMPORTANT)!!!!!!!According to some billing issues the domain has been changed to http://justbrg.com !!!!!!!!!
7/30/2016: I fixed most of the mapping errors, if you still experiencing huge amount of errors. Just post your date and destination under this thread and I will inspect them as soon as possible.
8/03/2016: I just make a huge technical improvement to fix the error problem (at least it should not give you a full page of mapping errors)!!!!! It should works pretty good now!!
8/10/2016: Update Material UI for some components in the website.(Login/Register and Search)
8/11/2016: Update Material UI for some components in the website.(BRG list)
8/14/2016 : Fixed VAT problem in the following countries: Italy, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany, Greece, Portugal, Ireland, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Iceland, Netherlands, Slovenia, Mauritius, Croatia, and Hungary.

craigthemif Jun 10, 2016 7:27 am

Interesting. What websites are you checking apart from the usual suspects available through an equally simply search on kayak.com?

craigmmorq4 Jun 10, 2016 9:27 am

How does this work? cam't work it out

ExpatSomchai Jun 10, 2016 10:09 am

Asking to register but then cannot

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 11:57 am

Originally Posted by craigmmorq4 (Post 26758198)
How does this work? cam't work it out

Can you tell me more details about at which step the website goes wrong?

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 26758421)
Asking to register but then cannot

What's the error when you try to register?

ExpatSomchai Jun 10, 2016 12:32 pm

No registration page appears. Just shows log in as [email protected] and to enter PW and re enter PW

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 26759211)
No registration page appears. Just shows log in as [email protected] and to enter PW and re enter PW

When there are two password fields then that's the register page

craigmmorq4 Jun 10, 2016 1:32 pm

All.i get is a page saying list and a readme which is empty

Using chrome

Originally Posted by uriel888 (Post 26759007)
Can you tell me more details about at which step the website goes wrong?

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by craigmmorq4 (Post 26759529)

Using chrome

Are u using the link of the github or justbrg.it. The link for brg is justbrg.it

Finkface Jun 10, 2016 1:39 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by craigmmorq4 (Post 26759529)

Using chrome

I got it to work last night and today but the majority of my queries are coming up with the error mentioned, "Some error when mapping official hotel name to compete site". In one instance, there were 4 properties in the location and 2 had the error message.

Just tried it again now and this was the result but clicking on the 'click me for BRG Link' doesn't work. OP, how do I know which site you used for the BRG price?

ExpatSomchai Jun 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Yes same here. Just did a search for Bangkok and 8/10 had the same message.

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 26759577)
Yes same here. Just did a search for Bangkok and 8/10 had the same message.

I just investigate the Bangkok problem, and fixed them. You can try again now.

ExpatSomchai Jun 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Thats better. Another one having problems is Istanbul. Getting token error messages

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 26759832)
Thats better. Another one having problems is Istanbul. Getting token error messages

Can you provide me the city and country?

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 26759555)
I got it to work last night and today but the majority of my queries are coming up with the error mentioned, "Some error when mapping official hotel name to compete site". In one instance, there were 4 properties in the location and 2 had the error message.

Just tried it again now and this was the result but clicking on the 'click me for BRG Link' doesn't work. OP, how do I know which site you used for the BRG price?

Just fixed Honolulu problem

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 26759555)

Seems the browser has block the new tab, I will try it on my ipad though and fix it ASAP

OriginalName Jun 10, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for building this. It looks very promising!

All properties in Tokyo, Japan have the mapping problem. Same with Sydney and Brisbane, Australia.

Pa Kettle Jun 10, 2016 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by uriel888 (Post 26759865)
Just fixed Honolulu problem

Any chance you can fix the spelling of "official" as well. :D

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalName (Post 26760212)
Thanks for building this. It looks very promising!

All properties in Tokyo, Japan have the mapping problem. Same with Sydney and Brisbane, Australia.

Fixed, please try again now

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pa Kettle (Post 26760215)
Any chance you can fix the spelling of "official" as well. :D

Thx for pointing out. Just fixed.

Finkface Jun 10, 2016 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by uriel888 (Post 26760200)
Seems the browser has block the new tab, I will try it on my ipad though and fix it ASAP

Thank you. Still can't click the link but appreciate you working on it. And thanks for sharing the tool. Looks very promising and I'm sure it took a lot of work on your part. Very nice of you.

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 26760295)
Thank you. Still can't click the link but appreciate you working on it. And thanks for sharing the tool. Looks very promising and I'm sure it took a lot of work on your part. Very nice of you.

Can u provide the details of your search? So that I can try to reproduce the bug.

Finkface Jun 10, 2016 4:58 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by uriel888 (Post 26760465)
Can u provide the details of your search? So that I can try to reproduce the bug.

Same as the example I posted the screen shot of above. Or Honolulu, check in June 19, 2016. Nothing happens when I click on the 'click me' button. It is not a clickable link.

uriel888 Jun 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 26760490)
Same as the example I posted the screen shot of above. Or Honolulu, check in June 19, 2016. Nothing happens when I click on the 'click me' button. It is not a clickable link.

I will look into it after I back to home.

durberville Jun 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Seoul is having mapping problems.

Ver Jaina Jun 10, 2016 7:59 pm

Malaysia properties having mapping problems except for Aloft KUL.
But the BRG link cannot be clicked.

Dr. HFH Jun 10, 2016 10:51 pm

I'm sure that Starwood's going to love this. At some point, I would expect some type of action from them.

Keyser Jun 11, 2016 12:51 am

very promising...

i did a search for singapore & am getting the 'some error when mapping official hotel name to compete site' error for half the properties....

uriel888 Jun 11, 2016 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 26761648)
very promising...

i did a search for singapore & am getting the 'some error when mapping official hotel name to compete site' error for half the properties....

The problem is some new starwood property is not listed in the third party website, I fixed most of them except some recently opened hotels.

uriel888 Jun 11, 2016 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Ver Jaina (Post 26761055)
Malaysia properties having mapping problems except for Aloft KUL.
But the BRG link cannot be clicked.

Can u tell me which city are u trying to search?

FrugalLuxury Jun 11, 2016 1:43 am

Just tried Munich, Germany. 7/9 had "Some error when mapping official hotel name to compete site". 2 had links (going out through hotelscombined), but unfortunately the resulting rate was higher than the brg rate shown and not brg-able... I guess this is just due to the inaccuracy of sites such as hotelscombined?

anyways, great effort and thanks!

yosithezet Jun 11, 2016 4:25 am

Seem to have some mapping issues with Hotel Name:

Hotel Americano, New York, a Member of Design Hotels
Hotel Name: Gramercy Park Hotel, New York, a Member of Design Hotels
Le Meridien Parker NYC
Sheraton Harrisburg Hershey Hotel

uriel888 Jun 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 26762046)
Seem to have some mapping issues with Hotel Name:

Hotel Americano, New York, a Member of Design Hotels
Hotel Name: Gramercy Park Hotel, New York, a Member of Design Hotels
Le Meridien Parker NYC
Sheraton Harrisburg Hershey Hotel

Updated

uriel888 Jun 11, 2016 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by FrugalLuxury (Post 26761741)
Just tried Munich, Germany. 7/9 had "Some error when mapping official hotel name to compete site". 2 had links (going out through hotelscombined), but unfortunately the resulting rate was higher than the brg rate shown and not brg-able... I guess this is just due to the inaccuracy of sites such as hotelscombined?

anyways, great effort and thanks!

Updated, you can try again now

svo242 Jun 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks for creating and sharing! Had an issue with the Royal Palm:

Hotel Name: Royal Palm South Beach Miami, a Tribute Portfolio Resort
Best Point Usage : Cash & Points With value($/Point) : 0.0503
Hotel official Price($/day): 412
BRG Rate($/day): Some error when mapping official hotel name to compete site

Finkface Jun 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Worked great for me this morning. Thanks for sharing, OP.

FrugalLuxury Jun 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by uriel888 (Post 26764034)
Updated, you can try again now

Thanks for fixing the hotel mapping. However, as I tried again for Munich properties, all 9 hotels had brg links -- but all of them led to higher final price than the brg rate shown by your tool and hence not brg-able. As this happened for all hotels and across multiple dates, I suspect this is something systematic. For example, all SPG rates were higher than the corresponding brg rates shown by about the same percentage. Could this be the taxes and fees unaccounted for? Once added back in, the final price = spg rate (which is the all inclusive final price for hotels in certain markets like Germany).

uriel888 Jun 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by FrugalLuxury (Post 26764290)
Thanks for fixing the hotel mapping. However, as I tried again for Munich properties, all 9 hotels had brg links -- but all of them led to higher final price than the brg rate shown by your tool and hence not brg-able. As this happened for all hotels and across multiple dates, I suspect this is something systematic. For example, all SPG rates were higher than the corresponding brg rates shown by about the same percentage. Could this be the taxes and fees unaccounted for? Once added back in, the final price = spg rate (which is the all inclusive final price for hotels in certain markets like Germany).

I did not tried multi date right now, can you provide the date you were searching?

FrugalLuxury Jun 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by uriel888 (Post 26764388)
I did not tried multi date right now, can you provide the date you were searching?

I tried several dates (all one nights), e.g. June 19th, June 25th.