Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR [email protected]

(Send any correspondance to both addresses.)
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by xexs
I wonder, is there any platinum happy hour benefits? Something similar to the one in Macao?
Nope.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:08 pm

IIRC room rates were very high when this hotel first opened. Now I see sub $200/night, which seems more reasonable.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by zzap
This is the road between the STR and the LM / KL Sentral, taken just now:

I would say it is faster to walk than take a vehicle, and it is not very far, but the footpath is not particularly safe or wide. I wouldn't want the hassle if I had baggage.
In fact there's a link bridge from KL Sentral to Q Sentral (a building next to STR), but still, u need to walk like about 100m footpath from Q Sentral to STR.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
TOTALLY without merit or substance

Originally Posted by wolf72
Given KL's notorious reputation of bikers robbing tourist.......
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ti CX SL SQ KFEG
Any idea about the instant rewards of this property? Thinking to redeem for a spa or something...
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by stargold
It's relatively uncommon for true luxury hotels (FS/MO/SL/StR/PH level and up) to provide free-flowing complimentary evening drinks in a club lounge or other similar settings, because the assumption is that people frequenting the top end luxury hotels will choose exactly what they want to drink, and will be happy to pay for it.
I realize this is an old thread, but I was looking for information and saw this comment.
Is there a Shangri-La or Mandarin that DOESN'T have a free cocktail hour in the club lounge?
I think this comment is kinda nonsense at least as far as those two hotels go.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:42 pm

Most S-L and MO outside Asia (and some within Asia) do not have a club lounge. So in what way is my comment "nonsense"?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:45 pm

Most S-L and MO outside Asia (and some within Asia) do not have a club lounge. So in what way is my comment "nonsense"?
Because you're making the exceptions the rule. Most of their hotels are in Asia and do have club lounges. So do the Australian properties of Shangri-la. So do the NYC and DC MO's

And I know you didn't mention it, but so does RC in most of the locations I'm aware of. Fairmonts and Waldorf-Astorias often have them. Langham Chicago has one. Palace Tokyo has one. Burj Al Arab even has one.

I think it's just more correlated with Europe than some snob factor.

(BTW: My original comment probably came off more nasty than I meant it to be... sorry if that was the case. I probably just typed it out too quickly.)

Last edited by TomA; Jun 17, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by TomA
Because you're making the exceptions the rule. Most of their hotels are in Asia and do have club lounges. So do the Australian properties of Shangri-la. So do the NYC and DC MO's

And I know you didn't mention it, but so does RC in most of the locations I'm aware of. Fairmonts and Waldorf-Astorias often have them. Langham Chicago has one. Palace Tokyo has one. Burj Al Arab even has one.

I think it's just more correlated with Europe than some snob factor.

(BTW: My original comment probably came off more nasty than I meant it to be... sorry if that was the case. I probably just typed it out too quickly.)
​​​No worries.

12 MO hotels in Asia, 18 outside Asia, and I don't think any of the 18 have a Club lounge (without checking one by one). MO BKK, Landmark HK and MO HK all lack a lounge, IIRC.

Yes, I accept that more S-L hotels are inside Asia compared to outside, and Horizon Club is a bigger aspect of S-L than MO or FS. Same with RC Club, it's very much integrated into their brand.

Burj does not have a club lounge. I would hazard a guess that more W-A are without lounge than those with one.

Not sure whether Fairmont belongs to the same band?

Anyway, this is going way OT for the thread - suggest a new thread in the Luxury Hotels forum if you are minded to carry on.

Last edited by stargold; Jun 17, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:20 pm

​​​No worries.
12 MO hotels in Asia, 18 outside Asia, and I don't think any of the 18 have a Club lounge (without checking one by one). MO BKK, Landmark HK and MO HK all lack a lounge, IIRC.
Yes, I accept that more S-L hotels are inside Asia compared to outside, and Horizon Club is a bigger aspect of S-L than MO or FS. Same with RC Club, it's very much integrated into their brand.
Burj does not have a club lounge. I would hazard a guess that more W-A are without lounge than those with one.
Not sure whether Fairmont belongs to the same band?
Anyway, this is going way OT for the thread - suggest a new thread in the Luxury Hotels forum if you are minded to carry on.
Yes, ok, no reason to carry this on I guess, but just some corrections:
Mandarin Oriental NYC and DC do have lounges and their Excelsior property in HK does as well.
Burj... the club rooms have the club in the room and the free cocktails and hors d' oeuvres are served in the room... I think that counts re: your point about people not caring about paying.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:44 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
I've got a stay here next month - can anyone who knows the area tell me if you can easily walk to the National Museum? I can see it right behind the hotel on google maps but there does appear to be a highway between the two.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:08 pm

you will need to position yourself to KL sentral and there is a pathway (air-conditioned) linked to National Museum station. Short walk to Museum entrance.
chad75 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:20 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by a_man_usia
you will need to position yourself to KL sentral and there is a pathway (air-conditioned) linked to National Museum station. Short walk to Museum entrance.
Perfect - thank you.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:46 pm

Current stay

I am staying here this week. Got upgraded to a St Regis suite from a base room reservation.

Front desk advises that breakfast comes included with the suite so as a Platinum I can choose the points instead.

Really great rooms though not much of a view.

Was reading earlier threads regarding the buffet breakfast and how it was disappointing. This must have changed because the buffet is now quite extensive. Still cannot be compared to the breakfast buffet at the nearby Le Meridien but there are tons of hot food options, made to order eggs, roast (who eats roast in the morning) etc, all of high quality.

lastly easy walk to entrance A of the MRT station. Use the back door to access.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:56 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lewin85
Was reading earlier threads regarding the buffet breakfast and how it was disappointing. This must have changed because the buffet is now quite extensive. Still cannot be compared to the breakfast buffet at the nearby Le Meridien but there are tons of hot food options, made to order eggs, roast (who eats roast in the morning) etc, all of high quality.
Thanks for the summary—and comments on the StR breakfast buffet. Enjoy your stay!

i must ask: what makes the LM breakfast buffet so special?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.