Wiki Posts
Search

Camp Aloft

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Camp Aloft

We have a reservation at the Aloft Dallas Downtown starting tonight. I contacted their front desk to ask about Camp Aloft and if an inflatable mattress would be available for one of our sons. At the time, I remembered reading about it but forgot what the program was called, so I wasn't much help. The person I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about.

I went back on their web site and confirmed that it is mentioned as an amenity.

I'd rather not bring our inflatable mattress if I can avoid it. Plus, the extra treats for the kids would be a nice bonus.

Does anyone know if hotels with this amenity mentioned generally have it available, or is this a hit or miss sort of thing?

I'll probably call back in a couple of hours and hopefully be able to talk to someone else who will be more knowledgeable. This lady did not seem to have a clue about much, even beyond Camp Aloft.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by swise
We have a reservation at the Aloft Dallas Downtown starting tonight. I contacted their front desk to ask about Camp Aloft and if an inflatable mattress would be available for one of our sons. At the time, I remembered reading about it but forgot what the program was called, so I wasn't much help. The person I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about.

I went back on their web site and confirmed that it is mentioned as an amenity.

I'd rather not bring our inflatable mattress if I can avoid it. Plus, the extra treats for the kids would be a nice bonus.

Does anyone know if hotels with this amenity mentioned generally have it available, or is this a hit or miss sort of thing?

I'll probably call back in a couple of hours and hopefully be able to talk to someone else who will be more knowledgeable. This lady did not seem to have a clue about much, even beyond Camp Aloft.
In my mind, if they've gone out of their way to mention an on-property amenity on their website, it's on property. If it's not there upon arrival, I'd definitely request some sort of service recovery, as you relied on that representation and are worse off for them not having it available.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by pricesquire
In my mind, if they've gone out of their way to mention an on-property amenity on their website, it's on property. If it's not there upon arrival, I'd definitely request some sort of service recovery, as you relied on that representation and are worse off for them not having it available.
100% agree.

I would still call the hotel to inquire. If the management tells you yes and upon arrival this isn't provided, then you read them the riot act.

Call or email the hotel an copy the lurkers to ensure your question is being addressed.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
100% agree.

I would still call the hotel to inquire. If the management tells you yes and upon arrival this isn't provided, then you read them the riot act.

Call or email the hotel an copy the lurkers to ensure your question is being addressed.
This still doesn't solve the OP's problem about not wanting to bring the air mattress if the hotel can provide one for the kid.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This still doesn't solve the OP's problem about not wanting to bring the air mattress if the hotel can provide one for the kid.
That why I suggested that they call before the start of their trip. This way they can make alternative arrangements.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never heard of Camp Aloft and it isn't clear whether this is some new brand initiative, perhaps for the summer leisure travel season, or something special offered by this particular hotel.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've never heard of Camp Aloft and it isn't clear whether this is some new brand initiative, perhaps for the summer leisure travel season, or something special offered by this particular hotel.
It's been around for at least 5 years and I don't believe it's unique to this hotel.

Basically an inflatable mattress and a goodie bag, it's supposed to bring to mind the experience of a sleepover.

Here's the info from Aloft KUL's webpage:

"Aloft Kuala Lumpur Sentral is meant for family fun and we all know happy children equals a good vacation! Aloft promises you a dream vacation free from grumpy and bored kids. What's our secret? A nifty little thing called Camp Aloft. What's so special about Camp Aloft? It is aimed at kids between the ages of 2-12 years. It starts with a special kid sized air mattress to call their own and a goodie bag with a special deck of cards and games for kids to make them feel at home and kick start a great vacation. Snack times get more fun with yummy parent approved treats at Re:fuel and mealtimes are happier with a special kids menu at Nook. From fun times at Splash Pool to In:Touch entertainment kiosks, we promise you will never hear an "I'm bored" again."
Old May 12, 2016, 1:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
A quick google lists many Alofts offering Camp Aloft.

This Starwood Media Release suggests it's a brand standard.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
We're back!

Here's how things went down...

We had two king rooms reserved, months in advance, supposedly with a notation in the booking to have the rooms connecting if possible or at least adjacent if possible. I later called and asked if we could have a double bedded room and, if not, a camp aloft air mattress provided. The first lady I spoke to at the hotel said no double rooms were available and had no idea what Camp Aloft was. She also told me that our rooms could be on the same floor but that adjacent rooms weren't available, much less connecting rooms.

So I called the gold # (we're lifetime gold right now). The lady there told me she would re-make the notation about the need for the rooms to be connecting/adjacent and would look into the Camp Aloft offering and make sure it was available at this hotel. After a long hold, she came back and said it should be available.

I called the hotel back, and this time the gentleman I spoke with confirmed they do offer Camp Aloft, but they did not have any air mattresses available, nor did they have any rooms adjacent/connecting. He upgraded one room to a suite and assured me that both rooms were as close together as possible, "just a few doors down from one another."

We checked in. My husband checked in while I wrangled the boys (ages 3 and 5). We went up to discover that their room was clear across the hotel. Our baby monitor wouldn't reach. Oddly enough, the boys' room was a double room. It was late, so we put the kids to bed. I went downstairs and told the staff that the arrangement was not going to work out. They said they would fix it for us the next day. I bunked with the boys that night.

Lo and behold, the next day, they moved us to connecting rooms *with* double beds on one side. The rooms were lovely. The king room was a suite. Spectacular view of Reunion Tower. Not sure why we had to go through all that rigamarole. The only thing I can figure is that the double room was accessible, and maybe they have to hang onto accessible rooms in case a late arrival shows up who needs special accommodation. Or maybe they didn't have it the first night. Who knows?

We still never received any goodies for the boys through the Camp Aloft program, even though we inquired about it twice.

So... If you don't need anything out of the ordinary, the Dallas Aloft Downtown is lovely with fantastic, large rooms and great proximity to the Convention Center. But if you need any special service, they might fall short. And they have no idea what to do when it comes to Camp Aloft.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
I've requested Camp Aloft twice now and both times the hotel either had no idea what it was or swore they were out of the mattresses. Seems to be a poorly implemented Aloft feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.