Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Triple Up – Three Great Ways to Earn Unlimited Bonus Starpoints May 9–Jul 31 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Earn unlimited bonus Starpoints® on stays of 2+ nights from Monday May 9 – Sunday July 31, 2016. Earn with any or all three offers below:
• Triple Starpoints at Sheraton® hotels & resorts
• Double Starpoints at all other brands
• An extra 1,000 Starpoints for stays that include a Friday or Saturday night (Thursday or Friday night in the Middle East)

SPG Members can register starting May 3, 2016, through 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET), July 17, 2016

Promotion details :
https://www.spgpromos.com/tripleup

List of properties participating in this promotion :
https://www.spgpromos.com/tripleup/terms/participating

Promotion FAQs :
https://www.spgpromos.com/tripleup/terms/faq

The triple points element applies to Sheraton brand hotels only. Four Points by Sheraton, and Luxury Collection hotels with 'Sheraton' in their name are not included.
Global listing of all Sheraton brand hotels :
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corporate/directory/hotels/all/list.html?sortType=region&brandFilter=SI
Note : this lists all Sheraton Brand hotels. Not all of them (the Sheraton Omaha for example) participate in this promotion.

The Park Lane Hotel, London IS a Sheraton brand hotel.
The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok is a Luxury Collection, and NOT a Sheraton Brand Hotel.

Stays booked before registration do count. There is no need to cancel and rebook after registration.
Print Wikipost

SPG Triple Up – Three Great Ways to Earn Unlimited Bonus Starpoints May 9–Jul 31 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I have a 5 night stay checking in July 31 and checking out August 5.

Will these dates be eligible for this promotion?
Read up a few posts.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:31 am

Hi Guys. I need a math check, and status question.

First stay: assuming preferred status + sheraton + weekend

130 * 2 nights = 260
260 * (2 SPG amex bonus) = 520
260 * (2 base points for preferred plus status * 3 sheraton bonus) = 1560
+ 1000 points for weekend bonus
So 520 + 1560 + 1000 = 3080 points

I check out on Jul18 but I'm afraid the system won't update my status by my next stay, which is Jul28-Aug1. I really want to be Gold by the time I check-in. Anybody able to reassure me I'll be okay? Lurker?

Now, regarding gold status and the triple-up promo.
Here's where I am a little unclear. The T&C says we only get to double or triple the base points of 2. But do we drop the third multiple altogether or we still get that?

My next stay, assuming gold status, non-sheraton, weekend:

300 * 4 nights = $1200
1200 * 2 base points * 2 triple-up promo non-sheraton + 1200 (gold bonus) = 6000
+ 1000 points for weekend bonus
6000 + 1000 = 7000 total

If we lose that gold bonus for some reason then it's -1200 = 5800

Am I doing this right? TIA

Last edited by milksteak; Jul 16, 2016 at 11:36 am
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by milksteak
Am I doing this right? TIA
Yup, 7,000 looks right to me. On a $1,200 spend, it'll itemise on your statement something like :

2,400 (base points = 2 points per $)
1,200 (extra 1 point per $ gold bonus)
2,400 (promo bonus, which doubles your base points)
1,000 (extra promo bonus for staying at a weekend)

The gold bonus is independent of the promo, and if for some reason it is missing because the systems haven't caught up with your gold status upgrade, you can retro-claim.

Don't forget to look out for Green Choice too. There's up to another 1,500 points up for grabs there, if your property is participating.

Looking also at your first stay, with a $260 spend, Sheraton, weekend :
520 (base points = 2 points per $)
1,040 (promo bonus, for staying at a Sheraton, which triples your base points)
1,000 (extra promo bonus for staying at a weekend)

For each of these stays you then add the 2 points per $ spend if you pay with SPG Amex.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jul 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm Reason: Add Green Choice
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a 2 week stay coming up. That can include 2 Friday and 2 Saturday nights. I suppose I only get the 1,000 point bonus once?

If I split it, I can get it but I will lose out on 1 night of MACG so the difference is 500 points.

I guess it all depends on how much hassle I want to put up for 500 points?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by username
I have a 2 week stay coming up. That can include 2 Friday and 2 Saturday nights. I suppose I only get the 1,000 point bonus once?
See post #151, for the definitive answer.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I had a stay recently at the Sheraton Park Tower in London and only got double points. It seems that they renamed the hotel and took out the Sheraton part. I feel robbed!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Yup, 7,000 looks right to me. On a $1,200 spend, it'll itemise on your statement something like :

Awesome! Thank you for your reply and explaining how it'll itemize on my statements. ^

I'll definitely look out for the Green Choice, but I'll be traveling with my gf...I might want to keep it this time.

The retro-claiming method sounds perfect for the points bonus, but I was hoping I'd be able to get recognized as gold at check-in for potential room upgrades or other benefits. Maybe I'll call in a few days after my the first stay to check on my status.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:26 pm

My parents are coming to visit Thurs-Tues and I booked the stay under my account. I'll check in with them but they'll pay. If I'm doing the math correctly:

the rate offers 3000 bonus points. As Gold, I will get 7000 points off the room rate, not including stuff that gets charged to the room. Besides that, I’m enrolled in the SPG Triple Up promo, which will give me double points on the stay total, plus an extra 1,000 points for including a Fri/Sat night. So I’ll end up with like 25,000 points from this stay. This also does not include any Uber rides we take with my account which will earn 2pts/$1

I think it's a pretty good deal for not spending a dime myself.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by AlligatorAxe95
As long as you know there is a chance you won't get ANY points if your father pays with his credit card. There are plenty of threads on this subject. Here's a similar one. Have a look at William's post #2.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...reditcard.html
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I had a stay recently at the Sheraton Park Tower in London and only got double points. It seems that they renamed the hotel and took out the Sheraton part. I feel robbed!
I'm fairly certain that the hotel has been a Luxury Collection property for a number of years, even before the re-naming to remove Sheraton.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: SPG (Plat); United (Silver)
Originally Posted by AlligatorAxe95
My parents are coming to visit Thurs-Tues and I booked the stay under my account. I'll check in with them but they'll pay.
[...]
Be careful - sometimes unless the credit card paying for the rooms matches the SPG account number they won't credit you the points.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:52 pm

Offering a Data point/update on my first stay as mentioned a few posts up. Jul16-18, Sheraton, weekend.

I got the points as Oxon Flyer helped me confirm and itemized, today on the 19th. SUPER QUICK.

1000 points on one line and then three more instances of the base (2x) points as advertised by the promo for staying at a Sheraton.

ALSO, they updated my stays and reached Gold status today too! Lightning quick.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Don't forget to look out for Green Choice too. There's up to another 1,500 points up for grabs there, if your property is participating.
The green choice is also tripled? I am debating an upcoming stay, with one option being 2 nights at the Sheraton in Montreal. They participate in the green choice.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
The green choice is also tripled? I am debating an upcoming stay, with one option being 2 nights at the Sheraton in Montreal. They participate in the green choice.
MAGC is not tripled. I think Oxon flyer was referring to the poster's second calculation which was a 4 night stay...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by illico
MAGC is not tripled. I think Oxon flyer was referring to the poster's second calculation which was a 4 night stay...
Ok...my bad. Didn't realize Oxon was combining the two stays (plus nights x 500 points).

Got my hopes up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.