Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:22 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I'll chime in as the only one who is NOT sad about this property leaving Starwood.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Re post #689 - I've read the news releases cited here, as well as others I've seen on-line, and post 689 is the only one that mentions a Hilton connection??

I'm also curious as to where they are going to put new towers - unless they also increase the pools/restaurants they are going to turn this into a miserable, crowded place.

If I didn't frequent this board, after I make a reservation I have no reason to ever look at the Dip website again (until much closer to the time). I can't wait to see if, when, and what they decide about my reservation.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:09 pm

Some additional items are noted in a Sun Sentinel article from late yesterday afternoon, including:
As for immediate changes, McCabe couldn't confirm whether there would be any at the Hollywood Westin but hinted there could be some "moving around of commercial space," on its first floor.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...0,217484.story
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Wow, that sun sentinel article says that it cost $800M to build the resort ... I doubt they made a $300M profit in 12 years. Sounds like the previous owner actually lost money on this resort.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Re post #689 - I've read the news releases cited here, as well as others I've seen on-line, and post 689 is the only one that mentions a Hilton connection??
I can assure you that the hotel is becoming part of the Hilton brand. Starwood Staff were given a letter on August 27th confirming the name of the property will be the "Diplomat Resort & Spa (a Curio Collection hotel) that will be managed by Hilton Worldwide." and that "the new owner and Hilton will be on-site the week of September 8th to provide an update on the transition plans for the hotel" and answer staff questions...

It will take some time for the dust to settle and for systems to be put in place for future reservations. As others have mentioned here I would suggest waiting to hear from the hotel as they are probably working their socks off to make it as smooth a transition as possible...
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:16 am

I apologize if it sounded like I doubted you, I just had not seen the H word mentioned at all.

I will hold tight and see if/when they contact me. I had a Westin lounge close once before we got there and they gave us extra points ("for our inconvenience"), so hoping they give some consideration to people they are throwing out on their ear.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Aug 31, 2014 at 3:25 am
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
I apologize if it sounded like I doubted you, I just had not seen the H word mentioned at all.

I will hold tight and see if/when they contact me. I had a Westin lounge close once before we got there and they gave us extra points ("for our inconvenience"), so hoping they give some consideration to people they are throwing out on their ear.
No need at all to apologise, I didn't take it that way at all. Best of luck.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I have a 5 day award stay booked in the first half of October. Put SNAs against it as well.
I wonder if the overall treatment of SPG Plats will be any different between this announcement and the official last day in SPG?
Will they try and save money and scale back the lounge, not offer upgrades, etc, since they technically don't need to care about SPG plats anymore?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by shawneve
I have a 5 day award stay booked in the first half of October. Put SNAs against it as well.
I wonder if the overall treatment of SPG Plats will be any different between this announcement and the official last day in SPG?
Will they try and save money and scale back the lounge, not offer upgrades, etc, since they technically don't need to care about SPG plats anymore?
I would think they would be on extra attention to be good to Plats since they want you to come back under the Hilton flag.

Then again, they will also be dealing with some chaos, so some issues may crop up unexpectedly.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:55 pm

Help with westin diplomat starwood reward

We have a 7 night trip booked with starwood reward points at the westin diplomat scheduled for January. With the change from starwood, they now will not honor this reservation. I fly alot for business, which got me a lot of points, but not often for family trips so this was out big annual trip.

What is reasonable for starwood to reimburse me with for this inconvenience? Upgrade to another property of a higher tier that is comped? Some amount of star points for the inconvenience?

We only chose this hotel because of location and being on the beach which not many others in the area have to offer.

Help,

Need advice on what to expect and what i can negotiate for from your similar situations.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:55 pm

Help for starwood reward that is not being honored

Originally Posted by zonafandan
We have a 7 night trip booked with starwood reward points at the westin diplomat scheduled for January. With the change from starwood, they now will not honor this reservation. I fly alot for business, which got me a lot of points, but not often for family trips so this was out big annual trip.

What is reasonable for starwood to reimburse me with for this inconvenience? Upgrade to another property of a higher tier that is comped? Some amount of star points for the inconvenience?

We only chose this hotel because of location and being on the beach which not many others in the area have to offer.

Help,

Need advice on what to expect and what i can negotiate for from your similar situations.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:59 pm

How did you get your information? Did you call and they said you have NO reservation, go away?

I truly cannot believe they are not grandfathering in those who already have reservations.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
How did you get your information? Did you call and they said you have NO reservation, go away?

I truly cannot believe they are not grandfathering in those who already have reservations.
I doubt very seriously they will honor award reservations. Paid reservations, in all likelihood, will be honored.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:18 pm

I called both spg (I'm a 10+yr gold member) and the diplomat themselves who gave me the same answer. They an convert the reservation from award to dollars if I want, but they will NOT honor the reward since it won't be their hotel at the time of the stay. They're supposedly researching it further, but I would expect something major for the inconvenience just not sure what I should ask for or expect...thoughts?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zonafandan
I called both spg (I'm a 10+yr gold member) and the diplomat themselves who gave me the same answer. They an convert the reservation from award to dollars if I want, but they will NOT honor the reward since it won't be their hotel at the time of the stay. They're supposedly researching it further, but I would expect something major for the inconvenience just not sure what I should ask for or expect...thoughts?
I believe you can search the threads for other properties that have left Starwood and IIRC you will find that Starwood will "assist" in getting you lodging at another Starwood property. I do not believe you will find any compensation for or further accommodating any inconvenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.